• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The IRB funded Samoan Rugby Centre of Excellence built a couple of years ago suggests otherwise.

What information do you have about this establishment?

Can't find anything about it on the Samoa RFU website or anywhere else on the net.

In fact the only reference to a centre of excellence I could find in Somoa was a soccer one>
http://www.samoaobserver.ws/sports/soccer/5980-centre-of-excellence

Although I did find something about the pacific islands taking the IRB to court.
http://www.samoaobserver.ws/sports/rugby/11931-pacific-rugby-unions-to-take-irb-to-court

Clearly they're not feeling the love from the IRB.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This looks good, but clearly as a game we really need to give these nations more support or the NRL will make major inroads.

But (why am I defending the ARU?) isn't part of the issue that these nations all had some right of residency in NZ and/or were always eligible to play for the AB's?
So looking after them was never a real option for us. Not saying it shouldn't change but its not like our own backyard has had the Jamie Durie treatment.
By all means shoot me down on this (not that you need either my invitation or permission) but aren't the "home nations" the present beneficiaries in rugby of the long term neglect of the rugby union playing south pacific (their youngsters all go there, get qualified by residency and play for the home nations) - they may be the only one's strong (read rich) enough to stand up to the NRL and they actually have no interest in doing so as it will likely only strengthen the Wobs and ABs.
I was in Samoa 2 years ago where we (the team I was having limited input into) played a "national u15 selection" that was off to France: the expectation was that most of the boys would not return as they would be offered opportunities to stay - presumably in time they will play for France.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But (why am I defending the ARU?) isn't part of the issue that these nations all had some right of residency in NZ and/or were always eligible to play for the AB's?
So looking after them was never a real option for us. Not saying it shouldn't change but its not like our own backyard has had the Jamie Durie treatment.
By all means shoot me down on this (not that you need either my invitation or permission) but aren't the "home nations" the present beneficiaries in rugby of the long term neglect of the rugby union playing south pacific (their youngsters all go there, get qualified by residency and play for the home nations) - they may be the only one's strong (read rich) enough to stand up to the NRL and they actually have no interest in doing so as it will likely only strengthen the Wobs and ABs.
I was in Samoa 2 years ago where we (the team I was having limited input into) played a "national u15 selection" that was off to France: the expectation was that most of the boys would not return as they would be offered opportunities to stay - presumably in time they will play for France.

I agree.

As "we the game" I meant the IRB, not the ARU - the ARU is off the hook on this one. :) We're flat out running our own show.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
No mention of the NRC on offsiders on Sunday, I realise it was a Melbourne Cup special but they could have tacked on 5 words to the brief Wallabies report.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
No mention of the NRC on offsiders on Sunday, I realise it was a Melbourne Cup special but they could have tacked on 5 words to the brief Wallabies report.

They're AFL and Soccer fans on that show - if they ever mention rugby it tends to be with a sneer. I can't stand their host either - Gerard "hair plugs" Whateley

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
The IRB funded Samoan Rugby Centre of Excellence built a couple of years ago suggests otherwise.

A lot of artistic license being used in describing that centre. It is by no means a state of the art facility.

I trained there a few times last year and it's essentially a massive shed with a pretty decent gym (similar to most commercial gyms you'd find in Australia) and the pitch is shocking. There are bits of glass and pot holes strewn across the field. So take that article with a grain of salt.

T

Train Without a Station

The article states that funding was provided to build the center, not maintain it or provide QA for the construction of the project.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A lot of artistic license being used in describing that centre. It is by no means a state of the art facility.

I trained there a few times last year and it's essentially a massive shed with a pretty decent gym (similar to most commercial gyms you'd find in Australia) and the pitch is shocking. There are bits of glass and pot holes strewn across the field. So take that article with a grain of salt.

That's the impression that I got from having a look at the facility on google images.

The IRB provided 1 million pounds for the facilty (which is ok). But note that the RFU will be paying the English clubs 13 million pounds as compensation for having their season "affected" by RWC 2015.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...n-under-13m-deal-agreed-with-rfu-9745228.html

And at the same time the NRL have embarked on a Pacific outreach strategy to stengthen league in those countries.
http://www.samoaobserver.ws/other/community/11288-sonny-bill-williams-drives-nrls-pacific-strategy

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/nrl-star-kirisome-auvaa-fined-for-assault/ar-AA6UVoQ

South Sydney Rabbitohs premiership star Kirisome Auva'a has escaped conviction for a drunken attack on an ex-girlfriend.
Auva'a was fined $3000 and ordered to complete a behavioural change course in the Melbourne Magistrates Court.
Auva'a pleaded guilty to recklessly causing injury and criminal damage for the attack on his ex-girlfriend in January, which he admitted was fuelled by alcohol and jealousy.
Auva'a was a member of South Sydney's 2014 premiership team.
Imagine how the G&GR servers would light up if this was a Wallaby.

The RL media were quick to get involved in KB (Kurtley Beale)'s harassment of women. Not a lot being said when one of their own premiership winning stars pleads guilty to assaulting a female.

Is it worse to be harassed or assaulted?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/nrl-star-kirisome-auvaa-fined-for-assault/ar-AA6UVoQ

The RL media were quick to get involved in KB (Kurtley Beale)'s harassment of women. Not a lot being said when one of their own premiership winning stars pleads guilty to assaulting a female.

I think that light up would have been a significant understatement. Thermo-nucler meltdown would get close - look at the outrage that an argument over a t-shirt sparked.:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yep, nothing but a simple misunderstanding over attire, witnessed first-hand by QH.

Witnessed 1st hand? That's the one thing no-one on any of these threads has asserted.

I think argument is a little stronger than simple misunderstanding - or do they mean the same to you?

If you remember correctly, the Beale thread "was sparked by an argument over a t-shirt". It subsequently developed further, but this was the issue which sparked all that followed.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

Yes it would have lit up, it is a little different though, the wallaby I guess you are thinking of had plenty of prior issues and I think the comments were more about how many chances he had rather that the offence itself.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I'm in agreement with PapaBear RE AFL.

AFL is the best resourced code out.

Putting aside League v Union, visualize if Sydney & Brisbane were League/Union only, ie all of sydney and brisbane was rugby league or all of sydney and brisbane was rugby union.

It would be a more dominant code than AFL. Combine with the backing of the Corporate Side of Rugby that makes it the powerful middle class game, alongside the grassroots "RSL" club support. You could have all those Sydney teams and a heap of Brisbane teams.

State Of Origin in May and the Bledisloe Cup in August. The other two football codes wouldn't stand a chance for coverage. But unfortunately it's not to be. The AFL is dominant in Melbourne and the other cities which makes it a powerful sporting entity. With its broadcast deal and strong infastructure they can regularly attract 70,000+ crowds in Melbourne putting them in an enviable financial position.

From there, the AFL use all of its influence and power to kill off the other codes. Rugby League, for all the lack of love between Rugby Union, has never really made a play to get rid of it so to speak. Their media attacks rugby, but you don't see Rugby League administrators directly mounting an attack on Rugby's grassroots.

AFL is different. Wheras my problem with rugby league is with it's media (I stated in OP that I actually enjoy Rugby League and SOO), my problem with AFL is its evil administration. I can never bring myself to attend a game of AFL knowing I support the one code that wants to legitimately kill the others.

The AFL injects $millions into invading whichever part of the country they see as relevant to their interests. They do hostile takeovers of the grassroots. They plant development officers like spies, use their money to influence local council decisions, build clubs and invade the schools with propoganda style campaigns to get them to play AusKick.

Which I really don't like. I think that goes way above and beyond what Sport is.

And it's not just at the Grassroots level that this kind of behaviour occurs. They are the experts of doing it at the Corporate level. I don't even have to google these examples because they come straight from the top of my head:

- Attempt to block Australia's 2022 World Cup bid. Regardless of what you think about the World Game (again, I really enjoy it), trying to block the bid was a complete dick move. Everyone wants the World Cup to come to Australia, it's a great benefit to our economy and it's a once in a lifetime chance to see some of the greatest athletes on planet Earth go against each other. So what does the AFL do? Create a massive hoo-hah about stadium usage etc. Shut up. (they did the same hoo-hah over the MCG usage for next years Liverpool game).

- Make sure when ANZ was redeveloped in 2001 that it HAD to be able to be used by AFL. This was up there with the most insincere moves I've seen. Stadium Australia already had its flaws like being out at Homebush, not having a whole stack of pubs, but this move by the AFL made sure Rugby League & Union would always struggle to fill the joint: Scream up and down about the redeveloped stadium being able to be used by the AFL.

The result is that about 45% of the seats there are total shit. The net result of that is that it destroys people's goodwill about going there, which in turn leaves a few empty seats initially, which in turn means less atmosphere, which means that less people turn up again because it ruined match day experience, which means that a culture of non-attendance at games permeates, and that's where we are with the status quo today.

Imagine if Rugby had an 85,000 seat stadium right next to the Opera House on Sydney harbour with a train station 10 metres from the turnstiles, an entire street full of pubs, clubs and restaurants?

Say what you like about Football (Soccer), Rugby League and Rugby, but the code out to kidnap and torture them all is AFL

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm in agreement with PapaBear RE AFL.

AFL is the best resourced code out.

Putting aside League v Union, visualize if Sydney & Brisbane were League/Union only, ie all of sydney and brisbane was rugby league or all of sydney and brisbane was rugby union.

It would be a more dominant code than AFL. Combine with the backing of the Corporate Side of Rugby that makes it the powerful middle class game, alongside the grassroots "RSL" club support. You could have all those Sydney teams and a heap of Brisbane teams.

State Of Origin in May and the Bledisloe Cup in August. The other two football codes wouldn't stand a chance for coverage. But unfortunately it's not to be. The AFL is dominant in Melbourne and the other cities which makes it a powerful sporting entity. With its broadcast deal and strong infastructure they can regularly attract 70,000+ crowds in Melbourne putting them in an enviable financial position.

From there, the AFL use all of its influence and power to kill off the other codes. Rugby League, for all the lack of love between Rugby Union, has never really made a play to get rid of it so to speak. Their media attacks rugby, but you don't see Rugby League administrators directly mounting an attack on Rugby's grassroots.

AFL is different. Wheras my problem with rugby league is with it's media (I stated in OP that I actually enjoy Rugby League and SOO), my problem with AFL is its evil administration. I can never bring myself to attend a game of AFL knowing I support the one code that wants to legitimately kill the others.

The AFL injects $millions into invading whichever part of the country they see as relevant to their interests. They do hostile takeovers of the grassroots. They plant development officers like spies, use their money to influence local council decisions, build clubs and invade the schools with propoganda style campaigns to get them to play AusKick.

Which I really don't like. I think that goes way above and beyond what Sport is.

And it's not just at the Grassroots level that this kind of behaviour occurs. They are the experts of doing it at the Corporate level. I don't even have to google these examples because they come straight from the top of my head:

- Attempt to block Australia's 2022 World Cup bid. Regardless of what you think about the World Game (again, I really enjoy it), trying to block the bid was a complete dick move. Everyone wants the World Cup to come to Australia, it's a great benefit to our economy and it's a once in a lifetime chance to see some of the greatest athletes on planet Earth go against each other. So what does the AFL do? Create a massive hoo-hah about stadium usage etc. Shut up. (they did the same hoo-hah over the MCG usage for next years Liverpool game).

- Make sure when ANZ was redeveloped in 2001 that it HAD to be able to be used by AFL. This was up there with the most insincere moves I've seen. Stadium Australia already had its flaws like being out at Homebush, not having a whole stack of pubs, but this move by the AFL made sure Rugby League & Union would always struggle to fill the joint: Scream up and down about the redeveloped stadium being able to be used by the AFL.

The result is that about 45% of the seats there are total shit. The net result of that is that it destroys people's goodwill about going there, which in turn leaves a few empty seats initially, which in turn means less atmosphere, which means that less people turn up again because it ruined match day experience, which means that a culture of non-attendance at games permeates, and that's where we are with the status quo today.

Imagine if Rugby had an 85,000 seat stadium right next to the Opera House on Sydney harbour with a train station 10 metres from the turnstiles, an entire street full of pubs, clubs and restaurants?

Say what you like about Football (Soccer), Rugby League and Rugby, but the code out to kidnap and torture them all is AFL

Don't forget the time that an accident of the calendar meant that the AFL grand final would be played on 1st October - from which date Cricket Victoria take charge of the MCG. The AFL just announced that they wouldn't be negotiating or paying any compensation, they expected cricket to give them the ground because they wanted it (which is what happened).

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I don't think AFL has worse intentions than anyone else, they're just better at putting it into practice. No code can claim to be particularly charitable to the others. Take a look at the way League and Union have treated each other over the years (Player raids against amateur rugby through the 20th century; the continuing formal barriers to playing league in schools in NZ; the whole collaborating-with-the-Nazis thing in France).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Status
Not open for further replies.