• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Websites can track unique viewers so I'm still not sold

No, not many can or do at all - not fox sport. not the GAGR. Most browsers have a "private" mode and the papers don't care to waste money on who unless they have to.

You may be surprised (as I was) has few vote on fox sport live polls etc

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
While I would not deny any one the chance to watch a sport they like, I reckon there is something in this.

I'm going to consciously avoid any article or social media about NRL from this point onwards and make sure I get every device I have onto union articles and polls at every opportunity.

Never discourage a mungo who is attacking or criticising their game especially from within or publicly. Always actively support and encourage them to do as much damage as possible. My favourite this week is the idea that the NRL should consider the viability of the Cbr Raiders in the NRL - I love it. The major competitor to the Brumbies should go - I wont vote against it.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Oh, and you think the mungo media is bad - um friendly fire?

Our Super donkey as described by the illustrious Georgina Robinson:

TYRO Wallaby Sam Carter tipped to face All blacks in Rugby Championship opener.

Glad she letting us know what she really thinks.

TYRO (definition): a person who has just started learning or doing something : a beginner or novice; a person who is just starting out in a field of activity

Trying to work out of its a cheap shot, veiled insult or poor journalism. IMHO its pretty harsh for any player of proven Wallabies standard to be described like this.

Quality journalism at its best. Her first edit of this story (see twitter for the funny tweet) was to name the correct player - Tom Carter? Wow so similar to Sam I am not surprised she got mixed up!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ugby-championship-opener-20140807-101e5y.html

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

And the context for all of them are they are just out of school boys or a similar level. So yes the definition fit. Would you consider Skeleton or Foley or even Chekia as tyro's? Tyro has a direct to age. Thus you will note theme in all the article you referenced.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And the context for all of them are they are just out of school boys or a similar level. So yes the definition fit. Would you consider Skeleton or Foley or even Chekia as tyro's?
Skelton and Foley as Wallabies? Yes.
Cheika? No, he's been a top level coach for years.
As an International, Carter is a tyro. It's not a slur.
I think you're missing the point somewhat.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Skelton and Foley as Wallabies? Yes.
Cheika? No, he's been a top level coach for years.
As an International, Carter is a tyro. It's not a slur.
I think you're missing the point somewhat.

Based on the liberal use of the term disregarding its direct connotation to age, then Cheika is a Tyro being his second year in as a soup coach. Thus why I dislike its use when applied incorrectly.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Based on the liberal use of the term disregarding its direct connotation to age, then Cheika is a Tyro being his second year in as a soup coach. Thus why I dislike its use when applied incorrectly.
No. Super Rugby / Heineken Cup / etc are all top level coaching positions, albeit in different hemispheres. If he was a Test coach, maybe so.
Test match rugby is the highest level, so Carter IS a tyro as a Test player.
Anyway, I feel you just want to be offended by it, so I'll leave it at that and agree to disagree.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
And the context for all of them are they are just out of school boys or a similar level. So yes the definition fit. Would you consider Skeleton or Foley or even Chekia as tyro's? Tyro has a direct to age. Thus you will note theme in all the article you referenced.
Giteau, White and Foley all had more Wallaby caps that Carter when referred to as tyros, but quite frankly who cares.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Giteau, White and Foley all had more Wallaby caps that Carter when referred to as tyros, but quite frankly who cares.

More for the fact that some of us more simple types seemed to get a different interpretation out of the headline and article that wasn't that complimentary. It was actually brought to our attention via twitter by others including other journalists who found the the description "interesting". But no bother.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Giteau went from schoolboys directly to Wallabies. The Foley / White article - the odd one out of all the articles was written by who?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If anything, tyro is used in a sporting context to describe someone new on the scene in an entirely positive way in my opinion.

It is absolutely not a negative and Georgie Robinson has used it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.