• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The GAGR Ali Williams Hate Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay

I have nothing but respect for BOD. I also respect Ali Williams because he is a pretty damn good rugby player, but I don't respect many elements of his play which are not at all in the spirit of the game.

Do you not deny that he is a bit of dickhead on the field?

Not only do I not deny that, I'd raise you that he's apparently a bit of a dick off the field too. Whereas at least Cooper seems like he's a pretty decent bloke off the field (drunken break-ins excepted). Even Bakkies & Richard Loe are apparently quite amiable and personable off the pitch. And so, according to Tony Johnson, is ref basher Pieter Van Zyl.

So Ali might actually deserve a hate thread for being a 24/7 dickhead.

U

undercoverkiwi

Not only do I not deny that, I'd raise you that he's apparently a bit of a dick off the field too. Whereas at least Cooper seems like he's a pretty decent bloke off the field (drunken break-ins excepted). Even Bakkies & Richard Loe are apparently quite amiable and personable off the pitch. And so, according to Tony Johnson, is ref basher Pieter Van Zyl.

So Ali might actually deserve a hate thread for being a 24/7 dickhead.

Well as much as I don't want to give this thread any more posts, I have met Williams. He stayed in my flat (I was flatting with a mate of his) on a EOYT in 2005 in London, and is a good bloke. He has an ego, like pretty much every other top rugby player I have met, but is generous and humble.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Perhaps, but a hate thread is still a bit tawdry, IMO. And to me it seems pretty ironic to be bashing a guy because of a foot-trip and crossing the line during the haka when one of your own players knees a prone player in the head.

You have a point, but this thread is just a bit of fun. 95 percent of this forum is civil and relatively even handed, we need a bit more 'hate' every now and then.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well as much as I don't want to give this thread any more posts, I have met Williams. He stayed in my flat (I was flatting with a mate of his) on a EOYT in 2005 in London, and is a good bloke. He has an ego, like pretty much every other top rugby player I have met, but is generous and humble.

Out of interest, why was he not be staying with the team in a hotel?

I respect his ability and have no reason to suggest that he's not a decent bloke, and I definitely don't hate him but I've never liked his playing 'style' for want of a better word. I don't think the cheap shots add anything to his game and only serve to make people like us dislike him (same goes for QC (Quade Cooper))

As others have suggested, maybe it's just designed to put others off their games and get in their heads. But it results in a lot of penalties too, so maybe he just acts like a knobhead sometimes for no good reason.

U

undercoverkiwi

Out of interest, why was he not be staying with the team in a hotel?

I respect his ability and have no reason to suggest that he's not a decent bloke, and I definitely don't hate him but I've never liked his playing 'style' for want of a better word. I don't think the cheap shots add anything to his game and only serve to make people like us dislike him (same goes for QC (Quade Cooper))

As others have suggested, maybe it's just designed to put others off their games and get in their heads. But it results in a lot of penalties too, so maybe he just acts like a knobhead sometimes for no good reason.

The tour was over, he stayed on in London for a week after everyone went home.

I think you're right about why he does it, and I'm sure it annoys the shit out of you the same way it annoys me when players use a bit of "professional niggle" (FWOABW) to put our guys off our game, but I don't think he's in the same league as some players, the eye-gougers of this world for instance. Or dare I say the head-kneers*. There's a line, I guess, between what's a bit of roughing up and part of the game, and proper dirt. And I'm not saying we don't have/haven't had guys that cross that line.

*I doubt this is a word, but you get the drift.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think he's in the same league as some players, the eye-gougers of this world for instance. Or dare I say the head-kneers*. There's a line, I guess, between what's a bit of roughing up and part of the game, and proper dirt. And I'm not saying we don't have/haven't had guys that cross that line.

*I doubt this is a word, but you get the drift.

You seem to have forgotten the head-butters*, like Saint Keven of Mealamu, who when caught on TV doing pretty much what Cooper did, except with his head, and from behind, has his suspension put aside because he was such a nice guy?

Not excusing Cooper (he should have got a rest, same as Mealamu should have), but it's a bit rich of AB supporters to assume they have some sort of high moral ground to stand on with this sort of thing.

U

undercoverkiwi

You seem to have forgotten the head-butters*, like Saint Keven of Mealamu, who when caught on TV doing pretty much what Cooper did, except with his head, and from behind, has his suspension put aside because he was such a nice guy?

Not excusing Cooper (he should have got a rest, same as Mealamu should have), but it's a bit rich of AB supporters to assume they have some sort of high moral ground to stand on with this sort of thing.

No, I haven't forgotten Mealamu's head-butt, nor have I said New Zealand doesn't have our share of players that do dirty stuff, in fact I think I freely accepted that we do. Mealamu did get suspended though, and rightly so. Jaquade didn't, I suspect partly because on the eve of a World Cup that's already missing a shitload of great players, the IRB is disinclined to ban anyone. It's publicity the showpiece event doesn't need.

M

minnowspeak

Why no post re Pocock's kick to McGaw's head as he lay on the ground clear view on TV

I must say I noticed this also... and quite often. Pocock might not have been targeted but merely the most frequent recipient as he is involved in a lot of rucks, but I noted on atleast 6 occassions Pocock being wrestled away at the ruck by a All Black wrapping his arms around his neck. This is not only illegal but so incredibly dangerous. All it would take is Pocock to get hit by any other player (including his own) whilst completely defenseless and with his neck 'locked' in a certain position and we are talking serious wheelchair bound neck injury potential.

it's a blight on the game. It's come from rugby league (Melb Storm) who work hard on wrestling type plays and holds... and works on the principle that any player will immediately stop what he is doing if he has pressure applied to his neck (it's a self protection thing). The SAfrica's took it on board firstly about 2 years ago but afte ra few incidents in the last 12 months they seem to have started to try and move away from it.

But it looks a clear tactic from the All Blacks and I think it's a disgrace. And if Quade gets cited, so should Richie for throwing a punch earlier in the game and so should every NZ player who grappled around the neck.

Perhaps some Aussie's did it also? I'm not sure. I didn't notice it but perhaps thats because as a fan you tend to focus more on the oppositions infringements.

Quade was silly but it was just a bit of niggle (albeit unnecessary) and no malice or force behind it. He will if cited argue it was accidental and he will probably get away with it.

I was however frustrated by the All Blacks being off side at the rucks (atleast a metre as noted by the Fox sports commentary) and realistically Genia should never get charged down if blokes are truly on side at the back of the last feet.

I also thought Woodcock put his arm to the floor several times during scrums which I always thought was a penalty.

As for Ali Williams - his performance and stupid niggle is nothing more than a once top player in decline and resorting to stupid stuff to try and stay on top and stay in the game. He's knows he is in decline and his best years are behind him and his niggle is more to do with his own frustrations I feel.

S

Skippy

Didn't see it and have no idea what your talking about? Can you post a link to it?

More than happy to have a look.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Didn't see it and have no idea what your talking about? Can you post a link to it?

More than happy to have a look.

Huh? I thought I posted the link. Anyway, go to youtube and find "Ali Williams stamps on McCaw's head - 2005".

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I was however frustrated by the All Blacks being off side at the rucks (atleast a metre as noted by the Fox sports commentary) and realistically Genia should never get charged down if blokes are truly on side at the back of the last feet.

Was a good post until your wrote this & I realised you can't be taken seriously.

Honestly, Marto let himself down there with this constant rabbling on. Watch the first 20 mins of the second half when the AB's had all the ball & see where they were standing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Was a good post until your wrote this & I realised you can't be taken seriously.

Honestly, Marto let himself down there with this constant rabbling on. Watch the first 20 mins of the second half when the AB's had all the ball & see where they were standing.

What? Watch our own team with a critical eye? You're insane, MR, insane I tell you! ;)

Z

Zeno

minnowspeak said:
Why no post re Pocock's kick to McGaw's head as he lay on the ground clear view on TV

The forum works like this: if you think it deserves a post, you write it. There's no point lying around on the sofa asking why other people don't see things your way.

D

daz

I think this thread is insane.....

I can see why we all have passionate feelings about guys like Williams and Cooper and McCaw and Pocock, etc, etc. But let's be honest, it is nothing but niggle and professional fouls. No-one really got hurt, except a pin-prick of pride and righteous indignation by the respective fans.

Now, if this thread was a Bakkies Botha hate thread, I could get on board.....

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.