• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Correction: you need two facilitators per board as a minimum - one to deal with each other board.

And after Mr Jarse's JSC is appointed, don't forget to appoint a Governance Board to oversee the operation of the committee, with delegates to be appointed to each Board and the JSC to ensure compliance.

And this is where the problem lies - too many fucking jobs for the boys. Sorry to bang on like a downtrodden peasant (I'd tug a forelock if I had one) but this is where the old boys' attitude takes you: far from the Land Of Efficiency (or Reality).

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Can a bean counter help me out here.

What does $16.9 million of expenditure on "Corporate" actually account for?

Source: 2012 ARU Annual Report Income Statement

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I totally disagree. We actually made the transition extremely well, mainly because of the existence of rugby loig on our borders. We were used to professionalism, we knew what it meant, we saw it on our television screens every weekend. We knew a lot of former playing colleagues who switched codes, we learnt from them. We accepted professionalism very easily, and adapted to it very well.

We won the 1999 RWC and got into the final in 2003, beat the Loins in 2001, lots of success (partly because of the lessons, and players, and coaches, that we brought across from our professional rivals) the game was actually very popular in those days, the Wallabies were Australia's team. This success, on and off the field, did not happen because we were slow to make the transition, unless you have some insights to share with us.

From a playing perspective we handle the transition fine. From anadministration and development perspective we are still stummbling around in the 1950's.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In terms of playing structure we NEEDED to adapt to professionalism because SuperLeague was waving money around. The other edge to that particular sword is that our players were highly overpaid to keep them from Loig, and therefore we are still paying for this today.

Success is a wonderful buffer, but unless the Wallabies start delivering, and we stop thinking elitist, the interest in rugby will continue to decline.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
The playing field has to be vacant for more than a hour before kickoff of the Super XV games.
They actually played the Tah A's v Brumbies A's before the Tahs v Force.
In front of 8 mums & dad's,12 girlfriends,me & a dozen old guys who got the time wrong for kickoff in the main game.

But if it had been promoted better would more people have turned up?

I for one have got the shits in the past with turning up to Reds games, I usually get there early because I have to allow for possible travel issues, to see the end of a curtain raiser that I didn't know was on. If I had know it was on then I would have made the effort to get there earlier.

In another incident I knew the game was on because in my real job we supported one of the kids in his education but could get in until after the kick off because the gates didn't open that early.

I know I am a special case as I will go and watch school boys/reps/clubs play even if I don't have a connection. (Appologies to the Sydney school boy team that was touring NZ and played in Nelson before the Wallabies v Russia RWC2011 game.....) But I tend to agree with others when they say that there is not enough promotion of these other games.

"Build it and they will come" only works it 'they' know the f'ing thing has been built.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think the biggest issue is the hour gap between games.
I'm sure if you could play an 'A' game immediately before a Super game,many would come early.
But an hour of dead time between games is a tough sell.

T

Train Without a Station

I think you are the minority though. We're part of the rusted on base. There's no commercial benefit to cater for us further. We spend the max amount we will on rugby already.

None of the fans, whom they want and need to get will care about these games. The issue is not a lack of "product" but seemingly the quality and marketability of the existing product.

You also need to consider the costs from a stadia point of view. By locking out the venue, they cap the people in their, and the staffing costs associated. If they open it, they have to staff for the max expected amount of people, for double the period, essentially doubling their staffing costs. This is just not viable.

Ultimately I don't this is the issue the ARU need to be looking at either. Yes it certainly would be nice to cater more for existing fans. They however are in no position to have additional costs cause this, thus making less money from these existing fans. If they go broke they will have nothing at all to cater for us with.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

The only bean counter that can answer that question satisfactorily is the said bean counter that allocated said costs to said category and has access to ARU financial system to look and see.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It was an arrogant treatment of the reporting of results by the CEO.
My recollection is that is one of the first things Pulver changed when he came in,he had to sign off the previous year,but he 'dismantled' that reporting style to make it a little more transparent.
But that's my recollection,maybe it's tainted by my man love for JON and all the good he did for himself in the name of the game.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think you are the minority though. We're part of the rusted on base. There's no commercial benefit to cater for us further. We spend the max amount we will on rugby already.

None of the fans, whom they want and need to get will care about these games. The issue is not a lack of "product" but seemingly the quality and marketability of the existing product.

You also need to consider the costs from a stadia point of view. By locking out the venue, they cap the people in their, and the staffing costs associated. If they open it, they have to staff for the max expected amount of people, for double the period, essentially doubling their staffing costs. This is just not viable.

Ultimately I don't this is the issue the ARU need to be looking at either. Yes it certainly would be nice to cater more for existing fans. They however are in no position to have additional costs cause this, thus making less money from these existing fans. If they go broke they will have nothing at all to cater for us with.

I know I am in the minority!!!!

I understand your points and agree to an extent. But I would also think that there would be ways to make to work / happen. I wonder how much cooperation happens between the franchises / ARU and the stadiums. They won't don't need all the bars etc open. Has anyone even actually thought about what can be done.

Another point I would like to make is that if the ARU doesn't do anything about trying to keep the half rusted on fans then they are equally screwed. Use rusted on lot are not going to be able to support the system so we need all we can get. I get the shits with the 'but we have always done it that way' which is ingrained in Rugby from the top down. And people don't see the irony when I reply with 'And how's that going for you?'.

As an aside....... I was home last night and I flicked through the sports channels thinking that I might find some sort of rugby, any sort of rugby, to fill some time before I went to bed. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Not even a replay of the 6 Nations stuff from the weekend. I know this is not the responsibility of any of the governing bodies, I just want to know what the negotiations between the Media and the governing bodies are like and how they might differ from the NRL/AFL/ALeague/F!/Tiddle winks/Darts boards. Is the Ruby administrators just sitting there saying 'Oh thank you Mr Murdoch for your support here is all our content do with it what you wish'? Is it possible to change this to 'Thank you Mr Mucdoch for you money & we don't mean to tell you how to run your business but can we please have a discussion about how the relationship can be a little more mutally beneficial and there are a few thing that we think could mack both our lives better'. Just remember if ARU/SANZAR go belly up Faox has a lot of space to fill as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I would love to get four straight hours of rugby in - one match after another with say a 20 minutes break to get food/beer. But the food and beer is a bit exy and generally shit in quality.

When you go to an AFL game you get three solid hours' footy, and the opportunity to head to the bar without missing too much play as a percentage of time.

I remember going to the Tahs in the early 00's and you didn't get a chance to get beer because there was no time to do it - too many people at the ground!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I know I am in the minority!!!!

I understand your points and agree to an extent. But I would also think that there would be ways to make to work / happen. I wonder how much cooperation happens between the franchises / ARU and the stadiums. They won't don't need all the bars etc open. Has anyone even actually thought about what can be done.

Another point I would like to make is that if the ARU doesn't do anything about trying to keep the half rusted on fans then they are equally screwed. Use rusted on lot are not going to be able to support the system so we need all we can get. I get the shits with the 'but we have always done it that way' which is ingrained in Rugby from the top down. And people don't see the irony when I reply with 'And how's that going for you?'.

As an aside... I was home last night and I flicked through the sports channels thinking that I might find some sort of rugby, any sort of rugby, to fill some time before I went to bed. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Not even a replay of the 6 Nations stuff from the weekend. I know this is not the responsibility of any of the governing bodies, I just want to know what the negotiations between the Media and the governing bodies are like and how they might differ from the NRL/AFL/ALeague/F!/Tiddle winks/Darts boards. Is the Ruby administrators just sitting there saying 'Oh thank you Mr Murdoch for your support here is all our content do with it what you wish'? Is it possible to change this to 'Thank you Mr Mucdoch for you money & we don't mean to tell you how to run your business but can we please have a discussion about how the relationship can be a little more mutally beneficial and there are a few thing that we think could mack both our lives better'. Just remember if ARU/SANZAR go belly up Faox has a lot of space to fill as well.

I actually don't think you are in the minority Suckerforred - quite the opposite. We obviously have a unique situation here in the ACT as we do have curtain raisers already being played before the soup games - thus my suggestion in relation to the under 20's games being played as curtain raisers.

So maybe that's just a rubbish argument and excuses for those that have big stadiums and little crowds - and wonder why they have little crowds.

Where there is a will there is a way - the Chief's sent out a message pre-season to their supporters asking if anyone would like to "volunteer" to be stadium ushers at their home games as a cost saver. I nearly put my hand up. Why? because its about the game and the spirit of the club! Something I think rugby in Australia has lost.

To borrow a quote from the great Pfitzy that sums up what I am trying to say is wrong with the game: We do not, in any way, have that luxury. Australian Rugby needs to step down from this belief that its somehow superior, and be prepared to bend over to get the love of the people. Because relying on the existing networks is not going to cut it.

At some point people have to face the reality and stop acting like this:

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Back to promotion of the game for a second - signed up to tahtv and liked this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zjgCakvs4

Could have been more big hits or scrums and lineout footage, but the right idea.

Two thumbs up - this is really good stuff.

Why is this hidden? Its great....really...but why do the Tah's market like its a treasure hunt ffs?

This is what needs to open and accessible to all (ARU soup site) - both centrally as a advertisement of the game in addition to each teams advertising.

But the real question was asked by the Brumbies; what you will do for your team? The answer:

Badger

Bill McLean (32)

As a bean counter, it's all smoke and mirrors. It could be anything as long as it gets signed off.

FWIW, focus on the cash flow statement as it gives a better indication of what and where money is coming in and out. P&Ls can be "massaged" to get a desired result.

Status
Not open for further replies.