• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney 7's: 26-28 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Men's Standings after Dubai & Cape Town Legs:

1. New Zealand 41
2. South Africa 39
3. Fiji 28
4. England 27
5. Argentina 24
6. Australia 21

Full Standings here:

https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings

Pool A: New Zealand, Fiji, Samoa, Russia
Pool B: Argentina, France, Wales, Kenya
Pool C: South Africa, England, Spain, Papua New Guinea
Pool D: Canada, USA, Australia, Scotland

Match schedule here:

https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/stage/1788/fixtures

Women's Standings after Dubai Leg:

1. Australia 20
2. USA 18
3. Russia 16
4. Canada 14
5. New Zealand 12

EDIT: Full Standings:

https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings/womens

Pool A: Australia, France, Spain, PNG
Pool B: USA, NZ, England, Japan
Pool C: Russia, Canada, Ireland, Fiji

Match schedule here:

https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/stage/1810/fixtures

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
NZ men: Kurt Baker, Caleb Clarke, Scott Curry, Sam Dickson, Andrew Knewstubb, Vilimoni Koroi, Luke Masirewa, Tim Mikkelson, Sione Molia, Joe Ravouvou, Teddy Stanaway, Regan Ware, Joe Webber.

NZ women: Shakira Baker, Michaela Blyde, Kelly Brazier, Gayle Broughton, Theresa Fitzpatrick, Sarah Goss, Tyla Nathan-Wong, Alena Saili, Terina Te Tamaki, Ruby Tui, Stacey Waaka, Niall Williams, Tenika Willison, Portia Woodman.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Etene Nanai replaces Joe Weber in the NZ squad. Caleb Clarke 13th man. Yes the same Nanai who was in the NZ Schoolboys last year - he turned down the Warriors and has signed with the Chiefs it is believed. Was a schoolboy freak - he should be fun to watch.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The first tournament for the year.
We have an injury in the lead up, and the coach replaces him with an uncontracted player.
Friends recruitment and selection decisions scream incompetence.
That's not a criticism of the incoming player, if he thinks he's the answer this week, why did he sign 8 others in front of him.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe give the coach the benefit of the doubt. I assume that when he makes a decision like this, he has his reasons.

Why not try to work out what those reasons are, rather than screaming "incompetence'?

He does not have a contracted squad of unlimited size, does he? Might it not be the case that the best available alternative to the injured player happens not to be contracted?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Benefit of the doubt?
He has a track record,and it's poor, we have consistently underperformed during his tenure. There is no doubt, he's just not up to it.

In respect to this week, have a look at Kennewell, then have a look at Connor.
Their playing styles vary more than their physical appearance.
It's hardly a like for like replacement.
He cut Connor from a training contract last year, and signed a dozen players since.It's that these player are now ranked behind him, not Connors selection that Is my issue.

There's no planning or strategy there.
On another front,whilst I have no problem with the selection of both Stannard & Longbottom, playing them together, as Friend does continually, is confirmation that he has no idea.

T

TOCC

There's no planning or strategy there.
On another front,whilst I have no problem with the selection of both Stannard & Longbottom, playing them together, as Friend does continually, is confirmation that he has no idea.

Stannard and Longbottom have never started a match together, in Cape Town and Dubai it was either one or the other starting. But during the course of the game through substitutions they have certainly being on the field at the same time.

I agree it doesn’t work well having two small playmakers on the field at the same time, but I also think it’s a difficult balancing act trying to have both Stannard and Longbottom in the squad and not have them on the field at the same time. Reality of Sevens is that two players have to play the whole 14mins. And it’s not going to be one of the forwards, so it then comes down to the workload of the 4 backs in the game and whose had a lot of involvement and who hasn’t. Usually one one of the halves will be substituted and either the wing or centre.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I agree that sometimes it's unavoidable to play them together.
my point is that Friend doesn't try to avoid it at all.
several times he's put the young bloke on, in a planned sub.
with the guy coming off neither being fatigued nor injured.

further to that, he lost a ball runner during the week, and replaced him with a jackal. his winger wasn't fit enough to train on Tuesday.Most would assume his 13th man would be a ball runner.
he's picked a small ball player.
and when he has all 3 on the field at once, it will be due to unforseen circumstances......

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Very impressed with Sykes for Aus. Haven't seen her play before but she has the knack of putting supports through plenty of gaps as well as being a good attacking option herself.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
French lineout thrower makes a school girl error, not that surprising given she looks ~12 :)

Aus looking good to keep a clean score sheet tonight

EDIT: & they do, 43-0 v France. Gotta be favs to take out the title......

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Given the strength of the English XV team, it is a bit surprising that they have missed out on the quarters. Then again, I do not take a close interest in the Women's Sevens, until it gets to the pointy end of the comp.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Given the strength of the English XV team, it is a bit surprising that they have missed out on the quarters. Then again, I do not take a close interest in the Women's Sevens, until it gets to the pointy end of the comp.

The English team seem to be really lacking at the moment for what is a rugby nation. The team had no x-factor, no playermaker with great vision, no wingers with serious gas no nothing. Their only girl I’d take for the Aussie team is their forward with the bold head, she goes pretty well creates heaps of opportunities that aren’t capitalised on by the rest of her team mates

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
English winger (Breach?) is second highest try scorer in this tournament. She has some gas and can find the line, but really only with the assistance of the No 4, who is very skillful, playing inside her.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Aus women still to concede a point, surely that's some kinda record, 29-0 v Spain in QF, 31-0 v Russia in SF. GF v NZ who beat Ireland 36-0 & Canada who I thought might cause us some grief 26-0. GF is tomorrow at 2:37 local.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That was a particularly poor exhibition of refereeing in the Canada/Australia men's game. Still, the right result in the end with Aus prevailing something like 27 to 5 unearned points to Canada.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Just worry about the game changing decisions, or you'll give yourself an ulcer.
It's a quick game, the refs make plenty of clangers, my theory is that everyone gets a handful every tournament,My hope each week,is that the ones against my team are inconsequential.

Status
Not open for further replies.