• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SVNS Series 2023/24

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Anyhoo, the Olympic Repechage draws are out:

Olympic Pools TBA on 23 June.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Granted I spent the weekend with only patchy internet & no Sky but I found Madrid a bit unnecessary, really. I mean, France won the men's but so what? Doesn't make them World Champions IMO.
I get part of this argument. i.e. was it necessary for the last tournament to be: (a) in Madrid, and (b) winner-take-all?

No and No.

A ¢lo$er look, though, turns those an$wer$ around.

Europe is rugby's biggest market and needs to host one of the tournaments. London was getting tired and Paris already has the Olympics. Madrid gets the gig. Around half of these final legs have ended up being dead rubbers, so they put some more incentive back in.

Tournament winner is the World Champ. The French earned it too, this time, beating both Fiji (also on the rise) and the Argies (who have dropped slightly).

I get the distinct feeling that Madrid was originally going to comprise just the Series bottom four & Challenger top four but then WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) decided to tack on a Top eight comp for... reasons, probably money.
Money, yes, but the tack-on is the other way about. They've carved off the world series tail and tacked on the promotional challenger. Similar to London last year, but on a bigger scale.

Last edited:

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
There were rumours that the Sevens Series is seriously crippling WR (World Rugby) financially. Can somebody smarter than me tell me if this is the case?