• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

SupeRugby Final 2011: Queensland Reds V Canterbury Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

<rant>
Quade Cooper's disgraceful surrender of a non tackle on Dan Carter for his try is prove positive of why the Wallabies will struggle to win the world cup. For all his attacking flair he shows all the fight of the french in defence. Sure he may not have stopped the try (in fact PROBABLY not) but to not even attempt to stop it or at a minimum make the conversion a bit harder is criminally negligent.
<end rant>

That said. WELL DONE REDS! Great to see the team that has played the best rugby for the longest period win the whole thing. Good arm wrestle of a final and great to see McKenzie get over the line and win one. Amazing turnarounds for Beau Robinson & Radike Samo and the commitment showed for the whole game (save my above rant) was nothing short of exceptional. Hope my boys can keep their team fit next year and make it an aussie derby final!

Also a huge congrats to the crusaders. Having gone through one hell of a shit storm of a year to get within a knock on of maybe winning the whole thing was a hell of an achievement and shows just why they are the champion side they are.

Mate, I think it was just a bad judgement call by QC (Quade Cooper) at the time, DC was already over the line and QC (Quade Cooper) probably just wrongfully assumed he was going to place it down where he was.. Hindsights a wonderful thing, and I'm sure if quade knew Dan was going to run the ball under the post then he would have attempted a tackle.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My view on Bryce is that he was utterly incompetent as usual. ... The decision to appoint him, however, remains mysterious.

After the shitfight of the last few years with incompetent refs at big games, and the (considerable) expense on SANZAR's account flying neutral Saffer refs to Invercargill for a Clan/Tahs clash, etc, it was agreed by the three partners the best refs would/should control the most important matches. SOOO, how to get the best refs? SANZAR put this back to the franchises and asked them to rank each ref after each game. Guess who came out on top of the Super sides' refs' analysis reports. YYYEESS, step up Brycie. That, gentlemen, is how one B Lawrence was handed the whistle last night.

Amazing. Hard to believe. BUT, he didn't whistle StRtI as much as we would've liked him to, which made for a free-flowing game and a Reds win. Methinks a more pedantic referee would've made for a stop/start match and a lot more kicks at goal, from both sides. And, more likely, a Saders victory.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Two things you don't want to do against the Crusaders: (1) kick deep to them - you will lose that battle (2) let them catch you behind the advantage line - they will counter ruck in your territory. Sure, some of Genia's box kicks were awful, but the strategy as a whole was pure genius.

A Perfect simple explanation.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Watching the replay last night I noticed Crockett binding, the slipping his binding then 're-binding' on Holmes. Then, reading Bob Dwyer's article just now found this:

In many ways, however, poor refereeing allowed unfair advantage to the Crusaders’ scrum. Loose-head prop, Wyatt Crockett, who is an outstanding forward around the paddock, escaped scot-free throughout the first half, despite the fact that he ‘broke the bind’ in EVERY SINGLE SCRUM!

Can one more knowledgeable in the dark arts than me advise as to what sort of advantage would Crockett have gained from breaking this bind on Holmes?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
After the shitfight of the last few years with incompetent refs at big games, and the (considerable) expense on SANZAR's account flying neutral Saffer refs to Invercargill for a Clan/Tahs clash, etc, it was agreed by the three partners the best refs would/should control the most important matches. SOOO, how to get the best refs? SANZAR put this back to the franchises and asked them to rank each ref after each game. Guess who came out on top of the Super sides' refs' analysis reports. YYYEESS, step up Brycie. That, gentlemen, is how one B Lawrence was handed the whistle last night.

Amazing. Hard to believe. BUT, he didn't whistle StRtI as much as we would've liked him to, which made for a free-flowing game and a Reds win. Methinks a more pedantic referee would've made for a stop/start match and a lot more kicks at goal, from both sides. And, more likely, a Saders victory.

You could argue that a more pedantic referee would have made for a stop start affair at the beginning, but the teams would then have to reduce their infractions to ensure they weren't giving away points and field position, and this in turn would have led to a more open and flowing game. I'm sure the Reds would have been happy to receive a few penalties from within their own half to set up a lineout and run a few backline moves off the back of it.

T

TOCC

Watching the replay last night I noticed Crockett binding, the slipping his binding then 're-binding' on Holmes. Then, reading Bob Dwyer's article just now found this:

Can one more knowledgeable in the dark arts than me advise as to what sort of advantage would Crockett have gained from breaking this bind on Holmes?
Breaking your bind and then going again allows you to better position your body to take advantage of opposition..it's like taking two bites at the cherry

Technically its a penalty, but it happens a lot

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Mate, I think it was just a bad judgement call by QC (Quade Cooper) at the time, DC was already over the line and QC (Quade Cooper) probably just wrongfully assumed he was going to place it down where he was.. Hindsights a wonderful thing, and I'm sure if quade knew Dan was going to run the ball under the post then he would have attempted a tackle.

A bad judgement call? No judgement required, just the right attitude - if there is an opposition player with the ball about to score a try...TACKLE HIM! No analysis needed - rugby can really be that simple.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Breaking your bind and then going again allows you to better position your body to take advantage of opposition..it's like taking two bites at the cherry

Technically its a penalty, but it happens a lot

Benn Robinson does it sometimes.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Well, what a letdown in this biased man's eyes! Great intensity inthe match, but where the hell were the skills? So many dropped balls!

I texted a Qld mate of mine at half time & said the Crusaders didn't have enough points on the board for the victory at that stage & for the very first time in my rugby nostradamus world, I actually got it right! So much posession & good solid ascendancy in the forwards but it just didn't translate into points. Richie didn't do as much as her normally does, Carter apart from a moment of genius was rather quiet & the REds defence against SBW's offload was surely a standard which all other teams will need to follow. There is no doubt that they had the chances to win this match with 3 fluffed tries, but they didn't take them & frankly that's all it takes at this level.

This is not to say the Saders handed the REds the game, not even close to it! Had Simmons try been awarded the game would/could/should have been done & dusted. Dunno if that was legit or not - I had the Aussie comm's, who were the opposite of impartial when it came to these decisons so really got no idea. But on to their team, what unbelievable defence. It was written up earlier this week that the game would be won on defence and boy oh boy was that true. Holding up Brad Thorn (WHO SHOULD HAVE FUCKING PASSED~!!) was just typical of the effort & enthusiasm the lads in red put in. They got so few chances but they took them all. Classy side well worth of being champions.

Gotta be happy for the Reds fans - hell of a roller coaster for you guys the last few years, so you've gotta be chuffed to bits, so enjoy it. Super titles don't come easy & your boys have really really earned this one.

Crusaders have everybodies respect for their year & I bow my heads to them as well.

Lawrence was Lawrence. FUnnily enough Mr Dwyer only seems to have noticed where he let the Saders apparently "get away with stuff". Maybe he should have kept an eye on Robinson to see how things work both ways? Nah.. doesn't suit his agenda.

Z

Zeno

Before the match I was pretty bloody sure (never certain, of course) that the Crusaders weren't going to score many tries. I expected the Reds to get three or four and the Cru one or two. I was wrong on the count but it worked out as I expected: the Reds didn't give away many kickable penalties, so the Cru just didn't have a way to score points. You can't win without points, no matter how good your scrum is.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Before the match I was pretty bloody sure (never certain, of course) that the Crusaders weren't going to score many tries. I expected the Reds to get three or four and the Cru one or two. I was wrong on the count but it worked out as I expected: the Reds didn't give away many kickable penalties, so the Cru just didn't have a way to score points. You can't win without points, no matter how good your scrum is.

I call bullshit.

On another day Crusaders would have scored 4 tries. Their final execution let them down in this match so saying they didnt' have a way to score points is crap.

Z

Zeno

Call it whatever you want, sweetie; ample historical data indicated that the Crusaders wouldn't be able to score as many tries as the Reds, and wouldn't get the chance to kick enough goals to make up the gap. I put that prediction in two posts on the front page blog last week so I'm taking a moment to dust my cartouche.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Call it whatever you want, sweetie; ample historical data indicated that the Crusaders wouldn't be able to score as many tries as the Reds, and wouldn't get the chance to kick enough goals to make up the gap. I put that prediction in two posts on the front page blog last week so I'm taking a moment to dust my cartouche.

I bow to your superior knowledge and ability, but I still call bullshit on you saying the Crusaders didn't have a way to score points.

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
I don't think the travel factor will be as much a factor as ppl are saying.For example Last year I flew to France did some sightseeing, returned to Australia that week and scored a fine try in a non competitive game of touch.

I'm not saying travel will be a big factor, and it won't take away brilliance, but the crusaders might struggle in the last 10 mins. You might have scored a great try, but you probably got a bit fatigued near the end if you played for a while. Also a non-competitive game of touch is nothing compared to a Super Rugby final.

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
the REds defence against SBW's offload was surely a standard which all other teams will need to follow.

Anthony Fainga'a - great defence. I think he should be inside centre for the Wallabies, Giteau, Barnes, O'Connor and McCabe don't have styles that suit Cooper's game. Also Ben Tapuai defended well, cementing a place in the magic Reds backline.

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
I agree with MajorlyRagerly. And I'm a Reds supporter. They were the exciting team before the Reds and with guys like Carter, SBW (I hate to say it), Fruean, Maitland, Guilford and Dagg (although injured) they still have a great backline that can score points. And I do not bow down let alone acknowledge your apparent superior knowledge and ability.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm not saying travel will be a big factor, and it won't take away brilliance, but the crusaders might struggle in the last 10 mins. You might have scored a great try, but you probably got a bit fatigued near the end if you played for a while. Also a non-competitive game of touch is nothing compared to a Super Rugby final.

That just flew straight over your head didn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.