• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Round Three: Rebels v Cheetahs, Friday 28 Feb, AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Inman at 12 is a very good thing.

There are some, umm, interesting selections in there though. Just not sure about Fuglistaller over Colby. Or Mitchell over anyone. Jones is a much better 6 than lock, but it looks like McGahan is picking a lot of high workrate guys who can cover a stack of ground. Jones will make 15+ tackles at lock, and I guess he balances out the much looser play we'll get from Pyle. Does anyone know anything about McMahon?

Now the team is announced, I can start to get excited :)

Good looking team, not really surprised by the selections at all. In terms of the Fugs vs Colby debate I think Scott had a great year, has had good pre-season form and it's up to Colby to earn his lace in the team ahead of Fugs. Whilst this shouldn't be a factor, it would be a 'confusing' look to not start your leadership team ahead of others for at least the first round. This may change as we go through the season.

Now, if you're interested ina pre-game pint withthe GAGR rabble (and assorted others) go and check out this thread. Even better, go have a vote.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/rebels-pre-game-venue.13785/

Go Rebels!

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The only selection I'm not really happy with is #22. I'd rather see Veinu on the bench than Gus.

I think I'd prefer English on the other wing. Woodward + Ellison + English = TRY TIME REBELS!

Roll on Friday!

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Not sure why all the rebels official social media channels are telling us that the team will be announced at 8am tomorrow when it's been across GAGR for a few hours now. Meh...

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Kingston should really be starting ahead of Mitchell, he will be an absolute gun for you blokes this season. Im looking forward to seeing the Rebs play this year apart from hooker and 5/8 your squad looks decent and im tipping them to cause quite a few upsets.

Should be a good first game.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Kingston should really be starting ahead of Mitchell, he will be an absolute gun for you blokes this season. Im looking forward to seeing the Rebs play this year apart from hooker and 5/8 your squad looks decent and im tipping them to cause quite a few upsets.

Should be a good first game.

Funnily enough, the Rebels have never lost a game when Hegarty has started at flyhalf.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Actually they have. Brumbies vs Rebels, Canberra stadium last year.

Really? I've been lied to then :mad:

As for the whole Fuglistaller-Colby thing, my problem with Fuglistaller is that he's only okay. He's a high-floor, low-ceiling kind of player, which in totally fine in some instances, you just want someone who can get the job done. I can't remember him ever having a really big game though, unlike Colby who had an absolute ripper against the Lions. I get the intangibles argument, I'm sure he's a great bloke, good leader etc. but at what point do you just decide you need the better player?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Pretty keen to see how Tom English goes, I reckon he will have a massive break out year. Just a feeling he will!

Good on McMahon, very quick rise, he must of played his socks off in the trials.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I do respect Tony's decision not to throw the baby out with the bath water in keeping Fugistaller (who's damn solid) and Mitchell (who seems only to thrive in a beaten side), but there's question marks over both decisions.

We'll see how it pans out.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
IMO...This game will decide whether Mitchell plays any part in 2014. If he is ok to average, TT will most likely bench him for Tommy K. If he's crap to shocking, then its TT's first axe wielding tournament. Tommy K to start and the kiwi flyer on the pine.
As for Fugs, he's a hard hitting, high tackle count man that has obviously had TT go all gag. As someone posted earlier, it's Colby's job to make TT change his mind. No one should EVER think they can just walk into a starting 15. If Colby comes out off the pine on Friday and tears it up, look out Fugs. It will make TT's job hard deciding....and problem i'll be glad see at the Rebels :)

D

daz

Not sure why all the rebels official social media channels are telling us that the team will be announced at 8am tomorrow when it's been across GAGR for a few hours now. Meh.

Members newsletter. Released the day before the official announcement.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I do respect Tony's decision not to throw the baby out with the bath water in keeping Fugistaller (who's damn solid) and Mitchell (who seems only to thrive in a beaten side), but there's question marks over both decisions.

We'll see how it pans out.

Mitchell has received more of my abuse than most other Rebels (Sidey is close), but he is clearly valued for his leadership and relative experience. He's probably had it easy over the past few seasons without serious contenders and depth in the backline, but now with a few more people pushing for starts he's on notice.

I'm a fan of Fuglistaller. Sure, he's no Smith/Pocock/Gill, but not everyone can be the barnstorming superstar. He does the gritty work and makes solid turnovers.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Members newsletter. Released the day before the official announcement.
Looks like that one got lost in the bottomless pit I call an inbox. As an IT guy I gotta work out a better way of highlighting the very important emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.