• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Round 8, Sunwolves vs Waratahs - Saturday 3:15pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, take the BP but I was far from impressed with that. Good attack at times but just wayyyyyy too loose. All well and good for the conference standings, but we look out of our depth with respect to quality teams. Like those from NZ for starters.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Sunwolves remind me of Italy in the 6N........... the intention is there for good attacking rugby and they have their moments, but they just lack the skills and execution.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
we look out of our depth with respect to quality teams. Like those from NZ for starters.
Much of Rugby comes down to confidence - we look like a team that doesn't even "sort of believe" our own reputation. Take Hooper out of the forward pack and we can't compete. Take Foley and Beale out of the backline and we can't create. It's all very well to chuck it to Naiyaravoro but that can only work so many times against good teams. Tahs are averaging 27 points against them after 6 matches - simply not good enough. Only one Kiwi team is conceding more. OK, every SA team is conceding more points per match but we're looking east to set our standards.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Much of Rugby comes down to confidence - we look like a team that doesn't even "sort of believe" our own reputation. Take Hooper out of the forward pack and we can't compete. Take Foley and Beale out of the backline and we can't create. It's all very well to chuck it to Naiyaravoro but that can only work so many times against good teams. Tahs are averaging 27 points against them after 6 matches - simply not good enough. Only one Kiwi team is conceding more. OK, every SA team is conceding more points per match but we're looking east to set our standards.

Indeed, like last year we score enough points to (statistically be in a position to) win most games, but concede far too many. So far we've won some more than last year, but the general pattern is much the same. I will grant that the set piece is going better this year, so credit where it is due. But the structure in defence, and the lack of any temperance at times is a worry.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A win is a win, it's a bonus point and the Sunwolves are certainly a better side than they were last year.
That having been said, it certainly wasn't a good performance by the Tahs. They gave away a million penalties, and the defence around the tackled player was very poor, the Sunwolves offloads were causing havoc.
I think Hooper was right to argue about that regather, once the Tahs players arrived that became a ruck, and even if the ball was then considered to be out of the ruck, at no stage was the SW player onside. Once he released that ball, he then had to retire behind the last feet before he could come again.
Beale was running crossfield way too much, liked him much better against the Ponies running straight, and the forwards had got back into their old habit of standing flat-footed and waiting for the ball, when the previous week they had been running hard onto it.
I thought Foketi was quite good when he came on, IMO I would be starting him at 13 ahead of Rona.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Waratahs game plan seems to have gone from kick to Israel to pass to Taqele. The big freight train probably had his worst game defensively this year but was unstoppable in attack. I like the way he is getting on the outside of players more this year and fending them away. In previous years he tried just tried to run over everyone in his tracks and often got pulled down from behind.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
There will be two game plans when Izzy is back. Two smoking barrels, one on each wing. Oppositions will have a huge job containing them.

Beale was back to his turnstyle defensive efforts last night. He should be embarrassed by more than a couple of his tackle attempts.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Sunwolves offloading game was very good and looks very similar to the Hurricanes. What they do not have is any form of defence.

After this weekend's efforts I cannot see any Australian team beating any NZ side for the third year running.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sunwolves offloading game was very good and looks very similar to the Hurricanes. What they do not have is any form of defence.

After this weekend's efforts I cannot see any Australian team beating any NZ side for the third year running.

Unless you're forecasting 2019, we did manage a couple of victories in 2016

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Sharks did it last week and came close again this week. Not sure that NZ teams are quite as good as they were last year.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sunwolves had an interesting tactic - their tackled player released the ball, stood up quickly, regathered and continued on. Occurred too many times to be happenstance. "Tahs didn't pick up on it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Sharks did it last week and came close again this week. Not sure that NZ teams are quite as good as they were last year.

There are a couple of significant injuries and some retirements, but the Australian teams have not improved that much, the Tahs and the Reds are better at what they are doing, but their skill accuracy & execution in consistency remains the Achilles Heel.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
bahahaha if you think that's a G-string, I am worried for you.

Maybe this is the benchmark for briefs he's using?
Big-pants1.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought Foketi was quite good when he came on, IMO I would be starting him at 13 ahead of Rona.

beale's crabbing doesn't help his 13 find much space

we struggled to hold our shape for a lot of the game, too easy early and we started to expect each play would be a try scoring masterclass

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Has anyone else thoughts the Tah's current attacking tactic is circa U7's? ie pass it to the big guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.