• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Round 4, 2018 - Jaguares vs Waratahs @ Buenos Aires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tight 5 were just rubbish. Tahs scrum under pressure all game.

For a team loaded with stars it was pretty unforgivable from a supporters perspective.

Gibson MUST be under some pressure.

On the Argies performance I don't think any team in the world could have wirhstood
their first 15 minutes - unbelievable

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

For a team loaded with stars it was pretty unforgivable from a supporters perspective.

On the Argies performance I don't think any team in the world could have wirhstood

But it isn't loaded with stars. Looking at the starting 15, you could count 4 - Hooper, Foley, Beale and Folau, and 2 of those aren't rated much by some posters. Others, whom I'm sure you will deem stars, are roundly shit-canned by most posters. You can troll all you like that it is loaded with stars, but there is, in fact, a lot of inexperience in that team, and it showed.
Stars or not, the lack of support to any ball runners or players who made the gain line was just rubbish, ball security poor, the defence flaky, and the handling absolutely woeful. Flat line attack running at 45 degrees with no "straighteners" with a fast rushing defence was a recipe for disaster. That first half was abominable. The second half was a little better, but still pretty awful. Stars or not, it wasn't near good enough.
The issues of the lightweight pack are only going to get greater.
They need Kepu, Latu, Simmons (set piece value) at the very least but it will only paper the cracks.
BUT, at least they never quit, the lineout was passable, and Wells made a couple of good hits. Slim pickings.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

We have, at most, 4 stars. Thats if you are being generous and including Foley (i would not).

The step down for most of the team is quite large.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What a shower of shit they was.

There are some absolute passengers in the Tahs side. I will not swin with the tide. Hanigan is another Richard Brown/McCalman the stats say he does heaps - show me where it has some material effect on the game? Staniforth is struggling at this level and is at best a bench player. Robertson, Ryan and Tawake struggle at the set piece and are dominated in the loose regularly. To say the pack is lightweight as a reason is misleading, the pack is actually an average weight, what it is, in fact is a statistical workrate pack that has F%$#@ all impact and actual effective work.

That all flows out to the backs who I think are actually pretty good, but still lack some fundamental skills, but under immense pressure from having to try and make the gain line with a forward pack conceding territory quicker than Sally Robins in a row boat it makes it very very hard.

If many of the Tahs forwards are selected again for the Irish tests we can look forward to another 3-0 result the same as England last year.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm not ready to pile on just yet. The Jags looked good and it's always hard to judge on road trip form this early in the season.

The Rebels have been towelling up the Aussie conference, but the question remains - is the Aussie conference any good? This Sunday will be fantastic, and will answer plenty of questions.

The fact remains, though, that the Tahs have an Test standard backline, playing behind a Subbies standard pack. And that is never going to give you consistent wins in this competition.

We can bag individuals all we like, but if present form continues then all the recruitment staff need to go. We could see this coming a mile out, when for some reason they decided not to recruit any locks at all. Or backrowers. And sure enough we are sorely missing big go-forward carriers (I never thought I'd pine so much for Skelton!).

Honestly, I'd trade Folau for Naisirani right now.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
But it isn't loaded with stars. Looking at the starting 15, you could count 4 - Hooper, Foley, Beale and Folau, and 2 of those aren't rated much by some posters. Others, whom I'm sure you will deem stars, are roundly shit-canned by most posters. You can troll all you like that it is loaded with stars, but there is, in fact, a lot of inexperience in that team, and it showed.
Stars or not, the lack of support to any ball runners or players who made the gain line was just rubbish, ball security poor, the defence flaky, and the handling absolutely woeful. Flat line attack running at 45 degrees with no "straighteners" with a fast rushing defence was a recipe for disaster. That first half was abominable. The second half was a little better, but still pretty awful. Stars or not, it wasn't near good enough.
The issues of the lightweight pack are only going to get greater.
They need Kepu, Latu, Simmons (set piece value) at the very least but it will only paper the cracks.
BUT, at least they never quit, the lineout was passable, and Wells made a couple of good hits. Slim pickings.

Looks loaded to me.

Rona, Hanigan, Paddy Ryan, Tom Robertson, Kurtley, Israel, Foley, Hooper, Naiyaravoro and Latu

Some might question whether they are A stars or B stars nut a few of them are the best in the world.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looks loaded to me.

Rona, Hanigan, Paddy Ryan, Tom Robertson, Kurtley, Israel, Foley, Hooper, Naiyaravoro and Latu

Some might question whether they are A stars or B stars nut a few of them are the best in the world.

On that basis every team in Super Rugby is loaded with stars so it evens it out.

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
We can bag individuals all we like, but if present form continues then all the recruitment staff need to go. We could see this coming a mile out, when for some reason they decided not to recruit any locks at all. Or backrowers. And sure enough we are sorely missing big go-forward carriers (I never thought I'd pine so much for Skelton!).

Honestly, I'd trade Folau for Naisirani right now.

Well said; I've been thinking about this since I saw Gits & Drew Mitchell's tweets on Fan's Vs Supporters over the weekend; if anyone's to blame it's the Coaches for their (lack of) recruiting in the offseason. Most people on this forum would have seen the same gaps specifically around the second row.

These guys are putting in the effort but we’ve just got that awkward mix of young guys not ready and filled out with good squad players and Michael Hooper. My hope for Sunday is with Kepu back and Latu starting we may get a bit more size. Dempsey will help as well whenever we get him back.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Latu helped some elements when he came on the field but gee the lineout fell apart, particularly in a couple of key attacking situations.

Fitzy has been fairly anonymous around the field but the lineout has been excellent with him starting.

That said, we need Latu back to help in two of the weakest areas; scrummaging and tight five physicality.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
More your habit of going with the cheap troll and avoiding anything of actual substance. You're like a Daily Telegraph headline.

Do they have a good circulation ?

Trolling, I understand is an artform only practised by some.
Thank you for placing me in that category but I'm not worthy:)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah bro, on the surface of it my question was not a 'troll'. Perhaps in another context.

It's not leading either. I was merely incredulous at your assertion that Paddy Ryan is a star player and questioned whether you were trying to get a rise.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Nah bro, on the surface of it my question was not a 'troll'. Perhaps in another context.

It's not leading either. I was merely incredulous at your assertion that Paddy Ryan is a star player and questioned whether you were trying to get a rise.

Personally I like Paddy. He has played a lot of rugby and under different coaches. He is still there.
I think the widespread criticism of Robertson, being a current Wallaby is more than fair.

I did mention A and B stars. No doubt Paddy and Tom (and others) certainly fall into the second category but Hooper, Folau and Beale are A+ and Foley is an A.

Status
Not open for further replies.