• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Stormers vs Crusaders @ Newlands - 2011R12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Easily the best quality game of the weekend. Really shows the difference having quality centres makes to an attack instead of just tradesmen.

Only continued point is I am sick of watching the Crusaders continually infringe in their own 22. The Stormers were denied near the end more by the professional infringements of the Crusaders than good defence.

Pollock also made a shocking error in the first half when the Crusaders took the quick throw which was intercepted.

That was on the advice of the South African Assistant Referee. The Assistant referee is clearly heard advising Pollock that play needed to be brought back. Please don't blame Pollock for decisions made by other officials.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pollock also made a shocking error in the first half when the Crusaders took the quick throw which was intercepted.

What was the error? Read was in the field of play which isn't allowed.

Also, I thought quick throws did not have to be straight any more. Why was Guildford's throw ruled not straight?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What was the error? Read was in the field of play which isn't allowed.

Also, I was under the impressive that quick throws did not have to be straight any more. Why was Guildford's throw ruled not straight?

Read had a foot on the line and conceded posession to the Stormers with an incorrect throw which they gained and took advantage.

Guilford's throw is another matter the quick throw doesn't have to be straight but it cannot be forward which was also a poor call as from the field markings it was as straight as most throws from Hookers.

As for the assertion that it wasn't Pollocks decision, he was there to make the call and he is ultimately in charge. He was somewhat bemused by the AR and had to tell Schalk the decision has been made "calm down".

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Congrats to Ali and his Saders lot. The Saders desrved the win on the day, more hunger and physical then the Stormers and Wonderboy Williams sure look the goods. They won this one with their forwards. The Stormers coaching lot and Schalkie made a few errors. Cant understand their replacements towards the end throwing in their bench when they look like taking control and not taking those 3 points. Still thought Sadie look like the real thing on this level, Cronje also had a good one. We go on tour now and pressure heavily with the Sharks and Brutes closing the gap.

Thought Pollock had a good day. Never look like favouraring any of the teams in this one but like the way he allowed the game to flow. His player management top notch. However our qouta lineman not even close. That first try by Dewaldt was critical, stealing yards from the Saders kicking and the last lineout we lost show why he is a qouta.

Anyway on we go and the Chiefs at home wont be easy and a must win one for us.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Read had a foot on the line and conceded posession to the Stormers with an incorrect throw which they gained and took advantage.

While not wanting to cause a distraction from a perfectly good argument between two members, can I raise the issue of why the law against stepping into the field of play is enforced when a quick lineout is taken when it is totally ignored in conventional lineouts?

The relevant clauses:

19.2 Quick throw-in For a quick throw-in, the player may be anywhere outside the field of play ...

and for all other lineouts:

19.6 How the throw-in is taken The player taking the throw-in must stand at the correct place. The player must not step into the field of play when the ball is thrown. [Totally ignored in almost any lineout you ever see]

Enzedder

Frank Nicholson (4)
I can recall a number of lineouts over the years (and one that recalled a Grant Fox try against Ireland) where the throw had to be retaken because the front foot was over the line.
Can't say I ever pulled them up myself but I think if you are taking a quick throw it has to be totally legal.
In this instance the ball wasn't thrown in correctly so play had not restarted, therefore no advantage can be played.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Read had a foot on the line and conceded posession to the Stormers with an incorrect throw which they gained and took advantage

I do see your point, if the lineout throw isn't straight and it goes to the opposition the ref plays advantage however I think this one is different because the lineout throw wasn't legal.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
QWERTY I refer you back to the redoubtable Bruce, and then have a look at every Hooker throwing in they stand on the linewith toes in the field of play for most part. I remeber J. Paul's technique to step forward with the left? foot into the field of play to throw was rarely pulled up. The reason I called it a poor decision was that the Crusaders took the option and played on giving the ball to the Stormer's and then it was called back for a Stormer's scrum. How were the Stormers disadvantaged by the illegal play of the Crusaders, answer is they weren't and the advantage rule would have seen them score.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
QWERTY I refer you back to the redoubtable Bruce, and then have a look at every Hooker throwing in they stand on the linewith toes in the field of play for most part. I remeber J. Paul's technique to step forward with the left? foot into the field of play to throw was rarely pulled up. The reason I called it a poor decision was that the Crusaders took the option and played on giving the ball to the Stormer's and then it was called back for a Stormer's scrum. How were the Stormers disadvantaged by the illegal play of the Crusaders, answer is they weren't and the advantage rule would have seen them score.

You sure it was called back for a Stormers scrum? I thought another LO was thrown.

Just in the step forward I'm sure Hore or maybe Coles was pulled up for stepping over earlier this season. Thought it was a touch pedantic but given he wad 2 or 3 feet over

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Congrats to Ali and his Saders lot. The Saders desrved the win on the day, more hunger and physical then the Stormers and Wonderboy Williams sure look the goods. They won this one with their forwards. The Stormers coaching lot and Schalkie made a few errors. Cant understand their replacements towards the end throwing in their bench when they look like taking control and not taking those 3 points. Still thought Sadie look like the real thing on this level, Cronje also had a good one. We go on tour now and pressure heavily with the Sharks and Brutes closing the gap.

Thought Pollock had a good day. Never look like favouraring any of the teams in this one but like the way he allowed the game to flow. His player management top notch. However our qouta lineman not even close. That first try by Dewaldt was critical, stealing yards from the Saders kicking and the last lineout we lost show why he is a qouta.

Anyway on we go and the Chiefs at home wont be easy and a must win one for us.

Paarl you should be pulling your hair out. The Stormers had three chances at goal and didn't take them. Liebenberg came off the bench and threw three pies in a row with Stormers on attack.

The Crusaders were great considerign injuries but I reckon your guys totally fucked it up in the last twenty. Also, the territory game worked well in the first half and for some reason the Stormers start to run in our of their 22 in the second.

Lots of bad tactical decisions.

Fark me the Crusaders were on one leg but just kept making tackled in the last twenty.

Crocket was huge and Matt Todd is the revelation of the season on New Zealand.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Yea good win by a well organised and run outfit. Riptide those missing players sound impressive especially when you don't mention that the Stormers have a fair amount of first choice players missing as well.

whatty, just out of interest who was out for the Stormers?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Grabby saw you surprice surprise me on the Fern about Sadie and Cronje. Cant answer you there but I hope you understand my trurt in specially Sadie. Watched that kid since a 7 year old and surely Bok material. Cronje our 3rd choise by the way

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl you should be pulling your hair out. The Stormers had three chances at goal and didn't take them. Liebenberg came off the bench and threw three pies in a row with Stormers on attack.
Nah I just had the feel after Dewaldts non try its not our day. As long as the Stormers took some lessons from this loss I am OK. We did not had the same energy compare to last week. This team sure grew since last year and its still a few to go to the business end. The next 4 games all important.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Cracking game of rugby this one. The jewel in what was a shit week of rugby. Gutsy win by the Crusaders as they were dropping like flies. Stormers still looked good to me. They were beaten by a better team but they have looked to evolved their game and I liked they they showed some width.

He is only young but that Cronje has a bright future.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fantastic win by the Crusaders, plenty of injuries with a backrower playing in the backline for a long time

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Nah I just had the feel after Dewaldts non try its not our day. As long as the Stormers took some lessons from this loss I am OK. We did not had the same energy compare to last week. This team sure grew since last year and its still a few to go to the business end. The next 4 games all important.

I am arguing that you had every chance of winning that game and I am sure the discussion at the Monday morning team meeting will be along those lines. Schalk deserved a stern talk from the management for that.

The arrogance of not taking a penalty kick with 15 to go and 6 behind the Crusaders beggars belief.

I can't see what the Duvenhage NON-try had to do with that. It wasn't a try, technically speaking. How you can call the linesman quota because of enforcing a law 100% CORRECTLY is just silly Paarl. He did his job.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Grabby saw you surprice surprise me on the Fern about Sadie and Cronje. Cant answer you there but I hope you understand my trurt in specially Sadie. Watched that kid since a 7 year old and surely Bok material. Cronje our 3rd choise by the way

After the way he played the last two weeks I would say Cronje is now your second choice. He has proven not to be intimidated at this level and should cement a spot on the becnch for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.