• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Stormers v Tahs, round 8 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Our goal kicking was excellent and ultimately that brought us home in the second half. With half an hour to go we had a controllable lead and always kept the Stormers out of touch.

Kudos to Foley for improving on his kicking against the Sharks and Beale whose two long range penalty shots were excellent and crucial to the win.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Beale is successful with the long kicks, why is he not first choice for all kicks?

Does he change his approach/technique, depending on the distance/ Relax a bit more for the long kicks, knowing that there is not as much pressure on him? Tighten up for the "easy" kicks?

The best goal kickers seem to execute every kick the same way, no matter where it is from on the field. The Wobbs need a consistent goal kicker, Beale could be it. Surely Andrew Merhtens is the chap to sort him out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess they've decided that Foley's success rate is higher for anything at shorter range.

Aside from the Sharks game, Foley has kicked pretty well this season so it's hard to provide a definitive answer.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
the importance of this win shouldn't be underestimated by you tahs fans. Super championships are built on impressive away wins. It was the Reds' win over the Stormers in 2011 that gave them the momentum and the belief to go on to win the comp.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
the importance of this win shouldn't be underestimated by you tahs fans. Super championships are built on impressive away wins. It was the Reds' win over the Stormers in 2011 that gave them the momentum and the belief to go on to win the comp.
Agreed.
Most fans seem pretty happy with it, despite a few comments around the Web about how dire a game it was. The Stormers don't give very much, and an ugly win against them is more the rule than the exception, in recent times. I was particularly happy how they got a the 8 point lead back, and held it bloody-mindedly (if a little high on the infringements in the last 10 min.).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

2011 Stormers team was a different beast.

Stormers team is rubbish. Worst in years. The whole organisation is an utter shambles.

Hardly a watershed win. A good one, but they played a team that is a shadow of the one in 2011.

Just being realistic.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was more the method of victory rather than the actual win. We scored 1 try (a fluke one) and kicked the goals. Had to prove we can win those type of games.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
*ahem* Blue is right. The Stormers are a mess, and have been living off Coetzee's limited direction for ages to keep scorelines close. I honestly think there are a lot of parallels to the Sharks game, except the Sharks were good enough to put on two tries and play down the right end of the park.

A win is a win and obviously difficult to come by in Sarth Effrika, and while we can nod to our ability to kick goals, we hardly carved up in either game, because Foley wasn't getting the space he needed.

From here on in, every single 10/12 combo that faces us will just rush the shit out of it, so we need to start bashing teams up front in the first 20 to give the backs room.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
2011 Stormers team was a different beast.

Stormers team is rubbish. Worst in years. The whole organisation is an utter shambles.

Hardly a watershed win. A good one, but they played a team that is a shadow of the one in 2011.

Just being realistic.

Yeah, I thought the real positive was that they ground out the win in SA

Cyril Towers (30)
I agree with some of the comments about the quality of the 2014 Stormers and they looked very limited in attack. However, having been at both games in South Africa, I've now got a greater appreciation of how hard it is to win there. The Saffas love their rugby and these games are real events. People are there hooking into the brais and beer well before the game starts. The crowd for both games was about 25000, all of whom were keen fans of the local team (as opposed to freeloading corporate types). They know the game and they make a lot of noise and know when to make more noise to lift their team. They are friendly enough but they make it very clear that their team is going to win and yours is going to lose. It was a fantastic experience and the win meant a lot to the tahs. The boys and the coach were very happy afterwards.
The Stormers have had a tough start to their season but I suspect that when they get a few players back and settle in at home again, they will knock off a few good sides.
PS: if you are a serious rugby fan you should put a rugby game in South Africa on your bucket list. And do a game park safari while you're there. I'm planning next year's trip already.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
@topo, out of interest, what would be the rough budget we'd need to set aside to do the Topo endorsed Saffer bucket list,(two footy games, game park safari and other bits and bobs, beers and brais)?

Cyril Towers (30)
Cost me about $7000 for 10 days. Airfares are expensive (about $3000 including internal flights). I stayed in very good quality accommodation and went to a very good and relatively expensive game park (Phinda Private Game Reserve). Beers, wines, food and taxis are very cheap relative to Aus prices and the exchange rate is favourable (approx $1AUS=10 rand) . You can have a very good feed with beers/wine for about $30Aus pp.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
One thing the Tahs will have to watch is opposition teams sweating on the inside pass from Beale. In the first few rounds that move opened up most of the teams they played, but you'd think that coaches would have their teams expecting it now.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's the beauty of Rugby.
If the defence is sweating on the inside ball,they will be slow to the ball if they go wide instead.
KB (Kurtley Beale) to have a blinder this week!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Betham has been on the receiving end of that inside ball for a couple of tries this season and the two of them certainly have a great combo having played together since they were kids.

Whoever takes over from Betham is going to have to look to run that line particularly in the second half when defences start getting a bit lazier.

Beale has been good this season at picking the right option when multiple options are presented. His prowess in attack has certainly taken some opportunities away from Foley at 10, but for a 12, his attacking stats are on par with Cooper and To'omua who are both in the 10 jersey. Certainly there aren't any 12s producing similar attacking stats to Beale.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's a good point you make about the style of footy Beale is playing.
It's very similar to the Mungo philosophy of a playmaker either side of the ruck.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One thing the Tahs will have to watch is opposition teams sweating on the inside pass from Beale. In the first few rounds that move opened up most of the teams they played, but you'd think that coaches would have their teams expecting it now.

Beale usually most successful with the inside pass when they can can exploit tired inside defenders, but I hope they do sweat on it, it allows for more space outwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.