• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

SRAU RD 8 - Reds v Brumbies

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just contributing where I can!

I was in the beer queue when Flook scored his try, so I was one of about 50 random people ordering/collecting drinks while watching it on the little TV screen inside. Everyone stopped what they were doing for 20 seconds, focused on the Reds line break, then exploded and high fived each other when he scored. Feels like we haven’t had that kind of rugby atmosphere in Brisbane for a long time, and far out it was nice.

Yep imagine it was great, I know there a few fair weather supporters there, but good to have them there regardless. There nothing like the feeling of being in a crowd that is buzzing from a win like that is there? And the other thing I always reckoned the feeling on the bus leaving after the game, the last while on the bus when they lost etc, bus would be almost silent.

Reactions: TSR

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
All I can say it's bloody amazing that a bunch of no hope 5th grade level bums can win a game against the 23 best players in Australia.

Geez our back row was pretty ordinary, can't really see them stepping up to test match footy TBH.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
All I can say it's bloody amazing that a bunch of no hope 5th grade level bums can win a game against the 23 best players in Australia.

Geez our back row was pretty ordinary, can't really see them stepping up to test match footy TBH.

Ok mate, who was winding you up?;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Other thing for the first time probably ever I checked how Broncos going, they not going well so bloody great let's have the crowd at ubion instead!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair weather fans are all part of it. Australian sport is such a competitive market with a small population.

And rugby just isn’t hearts and minds for a lot of people.

But already I’m hearing more talk about rugby and the Reds. I’ve heard them discussed on several sports panels which are essentially rugby league panels with everything else an afterthought.

One of the even encouraged Brisbane fans to get along to the game, noting that it had to be better than watching the Broncos and Cowboys at the moment. What is really needed now is follow up with some Wallabies success and ongoing, entrenched success.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
One more game for all the biccies would have been nice to win but finals aren't won during the season.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Interestingly on the ESPN stats Valetini’s tackle rate is slightly higher than ASYs - 11 to 9.

Harry Wilson 15 runs for 43 metres plus 7 tackles with none missed caught the eye too.

Best game from Wilson for some time, and right at the right time too. Looking good for the tests this year.

Petaia also had his best game. I wouldn't be at all averse to seeing Petaia and Wright on the Wallaby wings. Both have excellent all round games when in form and both offer high quality back field support for the fullback. None of the others, including the sometimes mercurial Koroibete, have that full complement of skills required to be consistently good at test level.

Tom Banks should also have provided some of his critics with a bit of reassurance at the back. A cracking game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree that most players on both teams highlighted why they should be starting over their counterparts i.e Valentine over ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Wright, JOC (James O'Connor) over Noah. Neville over Smith/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

But inversely, I think there were a few players who didn't rise to the occasion. Simone really stood out as a bloke who has all these great highlight reals, but never seems to go up a gear when the pressure comes on. I'm still not sold on FF (Folau Fainga'a), outside of being the last guy in a maul, he seems to bring bugger all.
Simone outplayed Stewart and was pretty good, i thought.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
One comical note (at least I found it funny .... in hindsight).

It is much easier to convert the non-rugby devotee when they have a good time. I took my niece along last night. She had a great time and thought the game was terrific. Said she’d love to go again.

Which is good - because on the way down Caxton Street she asked me if we were going to an AFL game, and I briefly contemplated pushing her into the traffic.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Our fan base was always going to be suppressed by years of poor results and by the institutional rep of Super Rugby. It got so bad it was seen as embarassing just to be going. Now we have a home final a great opportunity to bring all the fans in and in particular reconnect with the crucial 18-35 group. Very exciting

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Best game from Wilson for some time, and right at the right time too. Looking good for the tests this year.

Petaia also had his best game. I wouldn't be at all averse to seeing Petaia and Wright on the Wallaby wings. Both have excellent all round games when in form and both offer high quality back field support for the fullback. None of the others, including the sometimes mercurial Koroibete, have that full complement of skills required to be consistently good at test level.

Tom Banks should also have provided some of his critics with a bit of reassurance at the back. A cracking game.
I concur with most of that but I just can't see how Marika isn't the first name selected for the back three he is having another great year for the Rebels and he has had to do it all off his own back coming in for work as the Rebels back line are unable to unlock him with time and space.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I disagree on Marika. He really doesn't offer as much assistance to his fullback as either of Petaia and Banks. And his one great strength is his running game, but even there he as often as not finishes up getting himself and his team into trouble by getting isolated near the sideline and then throwing a hail mary back inside which can, and does, end up in the opposition hands. For every game he shines, he seems to have a couple of pretty ordinary outings. Not sold, I'm afraid.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Best game from Wilson for some time, and right at the right time too. Looking good for the tests.

I’ve been very happy with Wilson this year. I personally think he’s been great - but the missed tackle stats Reg posted the other day were a big surprise for me. I don’t routinely check the stats each game, but whenever I have his missed tackle count has been very low. He was 100% last night and 100% v the Force and I thought he was very good vs the Brumbies last time. But obviously he’s had 1-2 bad games in there.

The work on for him from Rennie was footwork in contact and that still seems to be an issue. He’ll carry hard all day and runs good lines, but he often carries for 1m because he just drives straight into defenders. That is definitely still a work on for him.

Wilson & Valetini both bring a lot to the table. The problem with them as a combo is that neither are used as prominent jumpers in their respective teams and one of both of the need to be at Wallaby level. Both of them can jump - just not sure if Rennie will be prepared to back them to step up at test level.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I disagree on Marika. He really doesn't offer as much assistance to his fullback as either of Petaia and Banks. And his one great strength is his running game, but even there he as often as not finishes up getting himself and his team into trouble by getting isolated near the sideline and then throwing a hail mary back inside which can, and does, end up in the opposition hands. For every game he shines, he seems to have a couple of pretty ordinary outings. Not sold, I'm afraid.

Carries - First
Clean Breaks - Equal First
Defenders Beaten - Equal Second
M Carried - Second
Offloads - First

Yep no bias there at all he is absolutely shit, maybe if you try hard enough you can justify fitting in Muirhead into the Wallabies back 3 in his place. He will be selected regardless of your observations.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

Whilst I’m not suggesting Banks was awful, it’s been pointed out on another thread that of his ~170 run metres, around half of that was from the intercept and most of the rest was from 15-20m runs on kick returns, and that in that 170m he made one clean break and beat one defender. Most concur however that wright and Petaia should be in the back three, but Koroibete is most definitely the third cog in that arrangement.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Carries - First
Clean Breaks - Equal First
Defenders Beaten - Equal Second
M Carried - Second
Offloads - First

Yep no bias there at all he is absolutely shit, maybe if you try hard enough you can justify fitting in Muirhead into the Wallabies back 3 in his place. He will be selected regardless of your observations.

He most likely will be JGC. But you certainly are adept at introducing straw man arguments to the discussion. Nowhere did I say he is absolute shit. I have merely pointed out where I think he doesn't offer as much as Petaia and Wright on the wing at test level. And Andrew Muirhead has performed good for the Brumbies but I have never put him forward as a test prospect nor as a better winger than Koroibete. Make your argument, but address the issue, not a concoction of issues of your imagination.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I didn’t think Banks had a very good game, I thought the Reds caught him out of position a couple of times with their kicks. Positioning wise and kick return, I’ll give a points victory to Hegarty. That intercept try was a good read though.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
My only problem with Valetini is he isn't a third line out target if Harry Wilson is selected at 8 that's a bit of an issue come line out time. This is the problem we have faced forever at 6 if we want a guy with impact then we lose LO targets if we choose a 6 for LO option we end up converting a lock or get a Hanigan who is very good at LO but prob a bit slow at test level for 6.

Why cant throwing to the front be a third lineout option?

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
He most likely will be JGC. But you certainly are adept at introducing straw man arguments to the discussion. Nowhere did I say he is absolute shit. I have merely pointed out where I think he doesn't offer as much as Petaia and Wright on the wing at test level. And Andrew Muirhead has performed good for the Brumbies but I have never put him forward as a test prospect nor as a better winger than Koroibete. Make your argument, but address the issue, not a concoction of issues of your imagination.

MK's workrate is exceptional and he is a great athlete, however at the same time there is a certain awkwardness to nearly everything he does. His passing and kicking does not look remotely natural.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

They would certainly be my choices for the wings at this stage.