• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Southern Inland Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round 12 Results:
WALSH & BLAIR CUP
1st Grade;
Albury 76 d Griffith 0, Wagga City 35 d Wagga Waratahs 10, Wagga Ag College 27 d CSU 21

2nd Grade;
Albury 27 d Griffith 17, Waratahs 26 d City 24, Ag College 33 d CSU 24

ROMANO'S CUP
1st Grade;
Cootamundra 47 d Young 14, Temora 55 d Leeton 23

2nd Grade;
Young 26 d Cootamundra 20, Temora 22 d Leeton 19,Deniliquin 22 d Tumut 5

3rd Grade;
Junee 48 d Ag College (1) 7, Waratahs 10 d City 0, Hay 33 d RARC 0

Under 17s;
Waratahs 20 d City 6, Leeton 80 d Griffith 5

Women's 7- A-Side;
Griffith 29 d Albury 5, Leeton 33 d Temora 19, CSU 29 d Ag College 5

Next Saturday (Round 13)
Walsh & Blair Cup
Wagga City v Griffith, CSU v Wagga Waratahs, Albury v Wagga Ag College

Romano's Cup
Young v Leeton, Tumut v Cootamundra (on Sunday, July 21 at the Bull Paddock, Tumut- 1st Grade at 2.15pm),Temora v Deniliquin (2nd Grade only)

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
#SIRU2013 Round Twelve Results:

FIRST GRADE:
Ag College 27 bt CSU 21
City 35 bt Tahs 10
Albury 76 bt Griffith 10
Coota 47 bt Young 14
Temora 55 bt Leeton 23

Far out the Steamers are just another level above everyone....

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How do ppl think the Steamers would fair in the Shute Shield? (not saying they would join just seeing ppls views)

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
How do ppl think the Steamers would fair in the Shute Shield? (not saying they would join just seeing ppls views)

Really like this website and inclined to lose hours of worktime here!
But to No8 , you guys are good and there is little doubt that you are favourites for the SIRU title but I think Shute Shield is drawing a long bow to be honest. Beating up country town rugby sides is a long long way from playing Randwick, Sydney Uni, Easts etc etc . As good as your guys are they just wouldn't wouldn't cut it week in week out in Sydney.
So in all unbiased honesty, think it would get real ugly for the border boys real quick!

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
But to No8 , you guys are good and there is little doubt that you are favourites for the SIRU title........

Not sure No.8 is with the Steamers, I think he's just asking the question. I've been with them for a few years and yes they are good but to be honest I think I've seen better SIRU teams over the years. The Tahs of 2010 were pretty good, and the Aggies of the early 80's were a phenomenal team, and the Steamers actually haven't won anything yet.

Further more I don't think the opposition is anything like they have been, it's sort of like a perfect storm where at the same time the Steamers have peaked, the main opposition like the Tahs and the Aggies have fallen off the pace.

And on top of that, you have Nathan Bright who is absolutely driven to snare that premiership which means within the leadership group the fire for success is burning very brightly and with a great deal of focus.

To answer the question - no - not up to Shute Shield level, not yet anyway. Ask the question again in 10 years, and if the Steamers are in the middle of a Wagga Tigers type run of success then maybe the question will be more legitimate. And probably the Dewar shield more than the Shute Shield.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Good discussion guys, but I have to agree with namtrak, I think Almost 2 old also hit on this previously - that there had been opportunities in the past to play in the ACT and there are just too many factors that play against teams from SIRU competing at higher levels. It's not that the players aren't up to it, it's just very difficult.

I agree with @namtrak's point about the Steamers vs other teams in the comp at the moment. Aggies have fallen off the pace from where they have been, Waratahs are in a similar position also. The Steamers have been able to retain a solid core group of players who have been together for an extended period of time and are keen on some silverware. From 2nd to 7th/8th on the ladder, the teams are very even which is great to see in terms of competitive rugby.

The obvious driving factor for the Steamers is their one point loss last year.

Also - welcome to the forums Bubba!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Cheers for the feedback - and I do agree with you all - just thought I would see what other people thought that may be "in the know" abit more.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Just as a bit of interest, how many former Shute Shield players are playing in SIRU these days?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Bubba There are two at Albury - Mick Alexander (Eastwood??) and Justin Wheatley (Eastwood), Dave Armstrong (Syd Uni Colts) at Ag College. Sean O'Hara (Easts) if he's still running around for the Reddies lower grades. Simon Brabin at Junee, did Greg Condon ever play Shute Shield?

Former players (not playing in SIRU presently) that have played at higher levels include: Angus Scott, Tim Davidson, Hugh McAlister, Andrew Fifita, Dean Saddler, Seru Rogo. There are probably others that you guys can add also.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
There's 2 ex-Steamers playing Shute Shield now and another 2 playing John Dent Cup (albiet sporadically for all 4 of them)

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Bubba There are two at Albury - Mick Alexander (Eastwood??) and Justin Wheatley (Eastwood), Dave Armstrong (Syd Uni Colts) at Ag College. Sean O'Hara (Easts) if he's still running around for the Reddies lower grades. Simon Brabin at Junee, did Greg Condon ever play Shute Shield?

Better throw Jarrod Bryant into that mix (Sydney Uni,Parramatta and Sthn Districts) as well.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I spent a year in Temora in 2010. I know this is 3 years ago but your competition must have improved alot if any of you think that one of your teams would even be close to beating the weaker shield teams let alone the 6 or 7. I know having read the last few posts that all have agreed that the Steamers aren't Shute Shield quality, but my point is they wouldn't be in the same galaxy as clubs like Eastwood, Sydney Uni, Souths or Manly. I may be ignorant to recent developments but when I see guys like James Whiteley and Jock Munro in rep teams it doesn't really cry out that your competition is that strong considering there time in Sydney.
Lastly I hope Dizey's Day goes off without a hitch.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
There's 2 ex-Steamers playing Shute Shield now and another 2 playing John Dent Cup (albiet sporadically for all 4 of them)
Just of pure curiosity who are these players namtrak?

Is anyone aware of any John I Dent or Shute Shield clubs ever approaching any bush footballers?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Just of pure curiosity who are these players namtrak?

Is anyone aware of any John I Dent or Shute Shield clubs ever approaching any bush footballers?

I could name two players from SIRU who were approached by JID Clubs in the early 2000's to play rugby in Canberra. In more recent times, Jason Lagaali, Robbie and AJ Abel, are all Riverina bred kids who have played rugby in Canberra and at a reasonable standard too.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Alistair Ryan and Adam Nixon in Sydney, Sam Allen and JP Meynhardt in Canberra.

Also think that there are quite a few Shute Shield quality players across the competition, but just because you have the wheels doesn't necessarily mean you will play Shute Shield or better. Motivation, work, lifestyle etc.

I think if your benchmark is the SIRU rep team you are barking up the wrong tree. I think I could come up with a better team from the players that didn't nominate for rep duties.

In summary I think there is a Shute Shield team in SIRU, but there is a reason these guys are playing out in the sticks.

PS I frigging hate Qld

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
Over the years many many good players have graced the starting line ups of plenty of our clubs with varrious levels of success. The best thing we can do for Rugby in the bush is try to convert their stored game knowledge into our 14 to 17 year old kids. This is where it is most needed. Yes I am accutely aware that I am referring to the "Adolescent teenage male" but if you can have success with just one then you have achieved at least one step in making/improving the level of rugby in the zone which may eventually lead to a better standard of adult/senior player in the zone and further. It is very difficult to try and correct players once they have turned 18+ years because they are generally of the oppinion that unless they have seen you on "TV" then you could not possibly know anything....Its all about the kids....

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Over the years many many good players have graced the starting line ups of plenty of our clubs with varrious levels of success. The best thing we can do for Rugby in the bush is try to convert their stored game knowledge into our 14 to 17 year old kids. This is where it is most needed.............

Yeh this is critical - to the point that SIRU should almost consider making the u17 the premier competition in the region!!!

One of the Steamers main reasons for their success of the last few years was founded on a very strong u17 team about 5 years ago. Don Cameron was called back into the fold and undertook to coach the u17's and from that very good foundation has been sourced SIRU success and the players who have gone onto success in higher competitions

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
One of the Steamers main reasons for their success of the last few years was founded on a very strong u17 team about 5 years ago. Don Cameron was called back into the fold and undertook to coach the u17's and from that very good foundation has been sourced SIRU success and the players who have gone onto success in higher competitions

The key to all of this is to have a strong base from which to work with. Would Don Cameron have taken on the Under 17's if his son wasn't playing? There was also a player of great potential in Alistair O'Riarn who was playing in the front row (possibly Don's favourite position) that would have impacted his drive to take on that coaching role.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2013 Round Thirteen Preview:
Competition for the Top Four really heats up this weekend with the higher ranked teams taking on their lower ranked counterparts. Albury and CSU are nearly guaranteed a place in the top tier of the 2013 Finals Series, but City, Aggies, Tahs and Griffith need all the points they can muster over the coming weeks if they want to play in the Premier Division Finals Series.

Again, it is hard to pick a Match of the Round this week and I’ve gone for the CSU v Waratahs match as it has the most potential to impact the top four. The Albury v Ag College rematch of 2012 GF will also be a good game of footy.

Premier Division:
Wagga City (3) v Griffith (6)
Another tough gig for the Blacks this weekend, another away game after a bruising encounter last weekend against the Steamers. Consistency is the key for the Blacks at this stage of the season, they need to brush themselves off and get back into it this weekend.

Wagga City need to continue working for the full 80mins, particularly given their position on the ladder. The Boiled Lollies are putting the pieces of the puzzle together at the moment and are in a position to keep working on their game plan this weekend. Strong backline running supported by their large forward pack has really assisted their game this year.

The set pieces will be interesting in this game, Wagga City have a very strong front row which will test the traditionally tough Griffith forward pack. Griffith have the size to match the City backline but will need to work hard for the duration of the match and avoid any defensive lapses if they are to come out on top.

Was that Justin Sheridan that was playing 2nd Grade on the weekend?

CSU (2) v Waratahs (5) – Match of the Round
Traditionally, these two clubs have a history of close matches particularly during a finals series or when points really matter and this game really matters to both clubs. A bonus point win to CSU here will guarantee themselves a spot in the Top Four and will go very close to guaranteeing a spot in the Top Two. This is miles from where even the most red-blooded CSU supporters thought their team would be sitting at this time of year.

Waratahs and City went dollar for dollar last week up until the 50-60min mark when City managed to come away with the win. The Waratahs forward pack play a strong game and support their backs well, but the team needs to focus together rather than working as two separate units. Jake Eaglesham leads well from the backrow and Tahs need him to link up with Dave Bowden to nullify the CSU attack this weekend.

CSU’s biggest strength this year has been their ability to play as a team for 80mins. Yes they have a classy 10 in Paul Hood and genuine speed in “2013 Rookie of the Year” Brett Wendt, but the majority of their games have been won on (or very close to) the final whistle. This is the threat that CSU pose to the Premier Division and is very difficult to nullify, they score most of their points from inside their own half of the field and that one mis-read in defence 60m out from your try line can really cost you against these guys.

My mail tells me that both sides will be understrength for this match which might impact the style of play that these teams take into this match.

Albury (1) v Ag College (4)
The rematch of the 2012 GF. I don’t think any punters would have tipped the scales in favour of Albury as much as they have fallen for the 2013 season, in fact most pundits were wary about what would happen to the Steamers – they’ve definitely come back with a vengeance haven’t they!

Although Aggies have slipped this year, the signs are there that they are starting to grind their way back into contention this season. Their season has been marred by injuries which have not helped their cause so far this year. I would expect Ag College to start firing from here on in, maybe not this week, but from what I’ve heard they are starting to gel a bit more than they have s to date.

Albury will need to treat Aggies with respect this weekend, one of the biggest dangers that the Steamers face at this time of year could be complacency. I don’t know of any complacency creeping into their games (and their results certainly don’ reflect it!) but I believe being undefeated can be a real danger for any team.

Wet weather footy will play into the hands of the Steamers, particularly down at Murrayfield where the cricket pitch bogs up quickly in the wet.

First Division:
Tumut (10) v Coota (8)
This match is being played on Sunday this weekend to promote the Tumut Junior’s Gala Day which they are hosting this round and is surely going to be an exciting hit-out for both teams. Looking forward to the Finals, this match is a potential Week One preview which will be worth keeping an eye on. Coota managed a 2pt win in Round Four when these two sides faced off and I’m sure the Bulls will be keen to replicate their form from that game and turn around the result in their favour.

Temora (7) v Deniliquin – 2nd Grade Only

Young (11) v Leeton (9)
The poor old Yabbies are hurting this season and are probably in the position where they need to keep working together as a group in preparation for 2014. Having said that, the Phantom’s have been up and down a bit this year and may need to be on their toes away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.