• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

So, who here thinks Deans is the coach we need?

Deans - the Wallabies coach to take on the Lions, or another coach on the scrapheap of Aussie rugby?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
While I no longer support Deans' position, I also believe there is a big issue with the influence of the money men at the ARU. I know for a fact that the selectors are under instructions/pressure to ensure their 30 man squads are selected from players that already have ARU contracts. This could explain some of the squad selections that we have seen over the last few years (where form super players have missed out).

The ARU needs to alter their contracting arrangements further. A possibility is to remove central contracts all together, supply additional money to the franchises with requirements it is spend on Australian players only, and at the same time include a 'squad selection' payment plus increased game day payments. More of a pay as you perform system than we have now, and one that would not put any pressure on selectors to favour certain anointed players.

Great post. A tweak would be needed to ensure that injured players are not heavily penalised, so that someone like Quade doesn't get royally screwed by blowing out his knee and missing half a year of internationals. Obviously they should not receive match payments, but they should have some kind of security. Otherwise we'd see more players signing OS, I'd think.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
I think most of you have summed up Deans run as coach quite well. I think the guy is a poor international coach and he has been exposed as that on numerous occasions. His tactics and his selections are piss poor.

Should the Wallabies come third or lower, then I see no option but for Deans to go immediately. But do any of us really think that is going to happen? JON thinks very highly of Deans and to sack him when the inevitable losses occur in a few weeks time is a bad look for the way that he was reappointed and that goes directly to JON's credibility.

I think if Deans goes, JON should too. Neither is happening anytime soon.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
JON's unmitigated support of Deans is, in my opinion, the root cause of the wallabies malaise.

The sooner they both go the better.

JON first!

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Two first up losses to the ABs and the Bledisloe is lost for another year. The press and Wallabies supporters will be unforgiving and we may see public interest in the Wallabies wane further. Frankly, I think it will seal Dean's fate. Failure by O'Neill to act would be damning, place him more directly in the cross hairs of a disgruntled media/supporter base and be divisive for the remainder of the year. It would also detract attention from all the positive elements and news to be highlighted with the forthcoming Lions series.

McKenzie is sitting in the wings and waiting. Good performances from the Wallabies and associated results are all we want. I'm indifferent to whether they ae obtained with Deans or McKenzie at the helm, but they have to happen. No excuses. I think the Wallabies will match AB intensity this weekend and maybe go beyond it, but if they fail to fire, I will hold out no hope for their prospects in this years RC and I will agitate for Deans replacement.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Shouldn't your opening question be: "Who Should be Wallaby Coach?"

Deans is probably finished in the SH.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It all hinges on this game. I have some hope (35%) of winning this game, next to no hope of the next (10%), and a pretty strong hope for the Brisbane game where we normally perform well (55%).

If we don't win on Saturday, then we can kiss the Sloe goodbye for another two years at least.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
JON is very focussed on the bottom line. As there is no silverware in the cupboard, his legacy will be to leave the ARU with a positive balance sheet.
Based on this premise, it would be interesting to know the payout figure to sack Deans. I'm tipping that JON will either go before Deans in the event of a sacking or he will go at the same time.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
A CEO who loses sight of the main game, who changes expectations (KPIs) on the fly, who has greater priorities, who is constantly looking for his next appointment, who cannot provide decisive leadership, who cannot administer for the best interests of OUR game, who reappoints personnel who are not performing, who does not take a strict line with player indescrections, is not only utterly useless but a blight on the position he holds.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Graham Henry's comments kind of cut both ways.

He first said that Cooper was the weaklink in Australia's side in the RWC semi-final because he had a poor game and then said that he would have picked him for the Bledisloe tomorrow night.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah and conveniently forgot to mention the part about targeting him as a weak link. It wasn't all just after the fact.

However watching a little of the Brisbane test on replay on fox this morning with my breakfast made me think 'I can't believe we are not going into this game with quade cooper'. He is so much better at leveraging any quick ball we have than the other options.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It really is astounding that not one person on the board has confidence in our national coach. The only people that have voiced an opinion that Deans should stay on, appear to have done so on the basis that changing coach would not assist us (which is an even more negative view to take). I would be hard pressed to find someone i know that thinks Deans is doing a good job (or JON for that matter). I cant understand why these guys haven't fallen on their swords.

One would think that after a white-wash series win of the Sex Nation Grand Slam Champs we'd have some people singing Deans' praise, but it appears everyone is officially off the bandwagon.

In hindsight, winning the tri-nations last years was the worst possible thing that could have happened for the 2012 Wallabies. It has only delayed the inevitable. The Wallabies will be back next year, but I think everyone knows 2012 is going to be a rough ride.

Dare I say, there will be a silver lining to this weekend's loss. If we lose both games against NZ there will be calls for Deans head and not even JON will be able to save him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
seems as though GH doesn't think much of Deans selections

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/t...isloe-cup-opener/story-e6frf4qc-1226452116931

mind you he has never previously been a fan of Quades either

Henry's comments on the rugby club highlight the conundrum that is Cooper.

He highlighted his clear weaknesses, especially being trucked between 10 in attack and 15 in defense, but still said he is worth the gamble.

Simply, if the prick bent his back and tackled there would be no argument at all, he would be near the first chosen.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Henry's comments on the rugby club highlight the conundrum that is Cooper.

He highlighted his clear weaknesses, especially being trucked between 10 in attack and 15 in defense, but still said he is worth the gamble.

Simply, if the prick bent his back and tackled there would be no argument at all, he would be near the first chosen.
Ignoring completely the fact that Cooper is defending in the front line now.

Sent using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ignoring completely the fact that Cooper is defending in the front line now.

Sent using Tapatalk

No, not ignoring, just not enough evidence of intent yet.

And no bending of the back, just arms so far.

edit

Cooper is afflicted now with the same, but different, preconceptions as TPN (can't throw), Barnes (weak head) etc etc

It takes a while, and sometimes never goes away completely.

But as I have said before, he is worth the gamble if we want to win

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am sure Cooper will play another Bledisloe test at 10. It will be interesting to see how he is targetted once he is defending there.

Stu Wilson (not that he is involved in the All Blacks coaching) said that Barnes was going to get a lot of traffic running down his channel. Barnes will have a massive job to do to handle that tomorrow night.

I think that Cooper has to defend in the front line going forward. His positional play and work under the high ball is nowhere near as good as Beale if he is defending at fullback. Add to that the additional disruption of having to switch between positions quickly and negating Beale's counter-attack, it just doesn't make sense to continue doing it.

Cooper must know that his defence will always be targetted so he has to muscle up and make it a strong part of his game.

Hopefully we see an injury free season from him next year so he has the opportunity to develop his defence and show that he is a more complete player.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As there is no real likelihood of change unless Deans falls on his sword (maybe he can borrow one from the pantomime crusaders who ride around on horses in the matches at Christchurch), it is a case of: "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with".

Status
Not open for further replies.