• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Six Nations 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Ireland awesome up front & halfback to be fair. Wales totally blown away.
Sexton was just majestic at 10 - a wonderful display of control in those heavy conditions.
Ireland did pretty much what I thought they would to Wales up front. Their driving mauls were different class.
Back to the drawing board for Gatland - please pick some form players, Lydiate & Warburton aren't in anything like test match form. Gethin Jenkins clearly not fit & Coombs - however much graft he brings isn't a test lock.
And please can we get a 9 to step up so we can drop Phillips ! The guys a disaster waiting to happen - he should've been yellowed along with O'Mahony for being chopsy ! Why can't players just shut up & get on with it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Full time at Murrayfield. England 20 - Scotland 0.
England dominating territory and possession; might rue the many missed chances to add a few more tries.

Looks like Ireland is the favourite for the GS, with England, France and Wales hot on their heels.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Ireland uses Driving Maul..it's super effective!

O'Mahoney silencing all the critics who used to say he played too wide and couldn't play tight!

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Re: Ireland v Wales - that's what happens when a team playing very well meets a team playing very poorly.

It felt like Wales had no structure, which is strange for them. Many one off forward runners, and they rarely spread it because their back line just wasn't in place.

By contrast, Ireland were crisp. Occasionally lateral, but there was always purpose. That 6 is excellent, though needs to talk less.

A final point: USA rugger, that was a great blog preview. Keep pumping them out.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
That was quite close to embarrassing for Wales. And Munster smashed the scab team Cardiff. I never thought I would see welsh rugby teams whore themselves to the English.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Sobering up after last night but that was a classic Schmidt/Plumtree performance. Ireland seem to have focused on keeping it simple this championship and its paying dividends. Huge game in two weeks in Twickenham but in Schmidt & co we trust!

POM was awesome, not much more to be said there, Sexton exploited Cuthberts poor positioning for field position and let the forwards do their work. Devin Toner is much maligned but I feel he is starting to establish himself as a front line international lock

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
That was quite close to embarrassing for Wales. And Munster smashed the scab team Cardiff. I never thought I would see welsh rugby teams whore themselves to the English.

The comparison in depth is scary when seeing that Munster vs Blues game. Cardiff totally shit in comparison but not a shock given the side.
I wouldn't go as far to say whoring themselves to the English either but they have to go where the money is to survive.
Welsh regions are the paupers of European rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I would imagine the Jocks would be hoping that somehow a miraclw could happen, and Cotter could come earlier, and they could get rid of Scott Johnson, who I suspect is one of worst international coaches on the circuit, always thought he was not to flash when he was involved with Wallabies, and have seen nothing from any team he has coached to make me shange my mind.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Golden performance from IRE. Made WAL look extremely ordinary.

The spring tour game vs NZL was not just a fluke.

Hopes must be high for the next IRE v NZL game for IRE to break their duck vs NZL.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The comparison in depth is scary when seeing that Munster vs Blues game. Cardiff totally shit in comparison but not a shock given the side.
I wouldn't go as far to say whoring themselves to the English either but they have to go where the money is to survive.
Welsh regions are the paupers of European rugby.

They get more money per team from the WRU than the English franchises get from the RFU, £6.6 million per year over the last ten years for four regions versus £13.7 million per year over the last ten years for 12 English franchises. The ludicrous reaction to Warburton's central contract, the WRU are paying his wage and loaning him back to Cardiff for nothing tells you everything about the " it's everyone else's fault attitude". The best thing could well be for the regions to flounce off to take it from their English masters and for the WRU to start new union owned and run teams in their stead, bar Players from the regions playing for the national team and watch them bankrupt themselves without a union to come in and bail them out as the WRU have done for the Scarlets twice. The Munster V Cardiff game last night clearly demonstrates that small nations like Wales and Ireland are a lot better off with the money from the international game directly supporting the club sides rather than allowing small dicked business men to come in and let their egos get in the way.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
They get more money per team from the WRU than the English franchises get from the RFU, £6.6 million per year over the last ten years for four regions versus £13.7 million per year over the last ten years for 12 English franchises. The ludicrous reaction to Warburton's central contract, the WRU are paying his wage and loaning him back to Cardiff for nothing tells you everything about the " it's everyone else's fault attitude". The best thing could well be for the regions to flounce off to take it from their English masters and for the WRU to start new union owned and run teams in their stead, bar Players from the regions playing for the national team and watch them bankrupt themselves without a union to come in and bail them out as the WRU have done for the Scarlets twice. The Munster V Cardiff game last night clearly demonstrates that small nations like Wales and Ireland are a lot better off with the money from the international game directly supporting the club sides rather than allowing small dicked business men to come in and let their egos get in the way.

Don't disagree but we are where we are. Ireland did it the right way by introducing central contracts across the board when the game went open. That ship has sailed though unfortunately.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Might be tricky for the Irish to keep their players from prostitution in future. I suggest that this is the background to your latest ravings. The Munster Cardiff game demonstrates nothing. Ireland played extremely well. Forwards Totally outclassed wales and I love watching an outside half totally run a game. Rare to see it apart from carter at his best

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tactically it was such a monumental mistake not to contest the line outs. The driving maul was the best organised I've ever seen. Cement has also got to rethink wales strategy at breakdown. With the laws the way they are scrambling for the ball over the top of the tackled player at worst slows the ball and more often brings a penalty to the defenders. Ireland were absolutely brilliant at it. We were absolutely pants

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Don't disagree but we are where we are. Ireland did it the right way by introducing central contracts across the board when the game went open. That ship has sailed though unfortunately.

Did they do it right? It's certainly working at the moment but is that model sustainable after the Anglo league is created? I don't think so. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where once the tv cash goes to Anglo league the Irish franchises go broke. The Irish were fortunate that they had regions in place pre professionalism that people associated with. We didn't. the kiwis and staffers are having to let players go abroad and remain in national squad. The controlled economy will fail for Australia too. I can easily see sa break away from Sh and go north for cash. I think it's almost inevitable. I will admit I don't like the situation but I cannot pretend that I can't see the arguments on both sides. As usual we welsh are just going to see how it plays out and thank Christ rugby is the national sport

In professional era players are going to want to maximise earnings whilst they can. Especially in a game where careers can be shortened by injuries. Some idiot might call it prostitution but the idea of unions being able to bind their players and that franchises should only field players born within boundaries is ludicrous and smacks of someone who believes that rugby is in some perverse way a reflection of national character.

The problem is that players are free to play for the highest bidder just like every other business. Europe is a free market. Bourdieu pointed out that it's always possible imagine conspiracies dreamed up by power hungry greedy individuals rather than the inevitable outcome of hundreds of individual acts of self preservation.

I personally have always disliked the franchises disguised as regions cos they are difficult to associate with. For millennia Weve had a tribalism on a scale that few foreigners understand. Let's face it about 15 minutes up to kick off is wales at its most united. It's why events such as yesterday become national tragedy. I once spent the whole game next to someone who said nothing throughout the whole game but "neef neef".

The question for wales has been the same for decades right back to the rl days when we went through angst when players went up north in droves. How do we stop the exodus when we are one of the poorest areas of uk and the players if not playing elite sport would probably be on the dole or low skilled jobs. Why should we expect players to be driven by higher motives than the ones that we all follow?

We re all heading to the same system as football. What wru has to do is come up with a system that sees the best welsh players released for internationals. Central contracts are not going to work nor is picking players on loyalty. Public will soon be pissed off when we lose. FIFA manage this. It's not happening for France ATM and it's not going to happen with irb as it is. There. Said it

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Might be tricky for the Irish to keep their players from prostitution in future. I suggest that this is the background to your latest ravings. The Munster Cardiff game demonstrates nothing. Ireland played extremely well. Forwards Totally outclassed wales and I love watching an outside half totally run a game. Rare to see it apart from carter at his best
All the Irish lads signed up and really would not be surprised to see Sexton come home early as well. The terrible emigration that is blighting the land again makes it very hard for a lad in his twenties to say €300,000 isn't enough when I can get whatever in France. Great credit to Warburton and Alun Wyn Jones for displaying some loyalty in their different ways.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Did they do it right? It's certainly working at the moment but is that model sustainable after the Anglo league is created? I don't think so. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where once the tv cash goes to Anglo league the Irish franchises go broke. The Irish were fortunate that they had regions in place pre professionalism that people associated with. We didn't. the kiwis and staffers are having to let players go abroad and remain in national squad. The controlled economy will fail for Australia too. I can easily see sa break away from Sh and go north for cash. I think it's almost inevitable. I will admit I don't like the situation but I cannot pretend that I can't see the arguments on both sides. As usual we welsh are just going to see how it plays out and thank Christ rugby is the national sport

In professional era players are going to want to maximise earnings whilst they can. Especially in a game where careers can be shortened by injuries. Some idiot might call it prostitution but the idea of unions being able to bind their players and that franchises should only field players born within boundaries is ludicrous and smacks of someone who believes that rugby is in some perverse way a reflection of national character.

The problem is that players are free to play for the highest bidder just like every other business. Europe is a free market. Bourdieu pointed out that it's always possible imagine conspiracies dreamed up by power hungry greedy individuals rather than the inevitable outcome of hundreds of individual acts of self preservation.

I personally have always disliked the franchises disguised as regions cos they are difficult to associate with. For millennia Weve had a tribalism on a scale that few foreigners understand. Let's face it about 15 minutes up to kick off is wales at its most united. It's why events such as yesterday become national tragedy. I once spent the whole game next to someone who said nothing throughout the whole game but "neef neef".

The question for wales has been the same for decades right back to the rl days when we went through angst when players went up north in droves. How do we stop the exodus when we are one of the poorest areas of uk and the players if not playing elite sport would probably be on the dole or low skilled jobs. Why should we expect players to be driven by higher motives than the ones that we all follow?

We re all heading to the same system as football. What wru has to do is come up with a system that sees the best welsh players released for internationals. Central contracts are not going to work nor is picking players on loyalty. Public will soon be pissed off when we lose. FIFA manage this. It's not happening for France ATM and it's not going to happen with irb as it is. There. Said it
Just to be clear, I don't think the Welsh players are whoring themselves, I think the regions owners are. I really can't see how an Anglo Welsh league can happen btw unless the regions disassociate from the WRU. Maybe you know better but I can't see how it can happen.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Tactically it was such a monumental mistake not to contest the line outs. The driving maul was the best organised I've ever seen. Cement has also got to rethink wales strategy at breakdown. With the laws the way they are scrambling for the ball over the top of the tackled player at worst slows the ball and more often brings a penalty to the defenders. Ireland were absolutely brilliant at it. We were absolutely pants
Did you get a bit of an end of an era about Wales? The props are past it, and a lot of Gatland ball was based around Hair Bears solidity. Phillips was raging against the dying of the light and Jonny Sexton totalled Roberts towards the end of the game. Don't get me wrong, in Jon Davies, Hibbard, North and halfpenny there are still some great players in the side with years in front of them but there are some on the way out and Adam Jones in particular will be nearly as hard for you to replace as BOD will be for Ireland.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

I think it could be returning to port holed beneath the waterline and Lewis is ruthless enough to watch it flail and splutter. EDIT and maybe, given the disharmony in the Welsh game that Cardiffblue illustrated Woger's brand of autocracy is the only way? One thing I can say with confidence though is if you get into bed with people like Wray and Griffiths they will shaft you, no foreplay, no lubrication just old fashioned Scumesque shafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.