• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It was easily into the 50's or so but that doesn't include the two dogs. largely made up of travelling family from the Rebels with a spattering of locals from the Steamers.

Rugby is a tough sell on the Border, the match was well supported by the club, the Steamers always put on a good show and are great hosts.

There was also a NRL trial in Albury on Saturday plus the usual AFL pre-season in Narrandera.

If it's not too much bother what was the result?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Another idea could be to look to include the U20s teams from the Brumbies, Reds, Revels and Force as a means of broadening the interest in the SS from other states that help help expand the broadcast. If a workable financial model could be worked out. It could work out for all concerned with the U20s being able to traincand compete in a longer arguably tougher competition. They have been playing trials against club sides recently.
Huh?
You want the SS to expand to include 20's teams ?
that is just ridiculous on so many levels......

W

Wilsonmate

Very quiet on the recruitment front... come one people!

Woods news, John 'Puka' Malo gone to parra, closer to home.
Woods sign Tevita Cottrell from Rugby League

T

TOCC

Half actually put up an interest point on the broadcast thread. Considering the SS has to pay for their broadcast why don't they look to simulcast games on fb? The Tahs fb page has 168,000 likes alone. Certainly an interesting way of reaching out.

QRU broadcasts/streams the Queensland Premier Grade games via a Facebook and YouTube

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Well, the first 7 games listed above kind of gave that away.:) Still, I think simulcasting on fb should also be part of their broadcast strategy as it offers flexibility to those who otherwise cannot tune in at 3pm on a Saturday and flexibility to those in other states/overseas.

Yes, target is to grow and have NSW & QLD premier rugby on FTA Australia Wide. Whilst live streams nd facebook maybe an alternate option - it shouldnt be missed that some of the ront of Jersey Sponsors are contributing significant funds into club rugby - for easy number $100k x 12 clubs = $1.2m in sponsorship into club rugby. If it wasnt televised how much of that may dissapear?

JuanBarn

Herbert Moran (7)
Note quite sure where to post this one. Just recieved the following e-mail.

Eastwood Members and Supporters

Today marks the announcement of a momentous and exciting milestone for our Club.

After looking closely at the landscape for club rugby and the challenges ahead, the Boards of Vimiera Recreation Grounds ("VRG" - the owners of TG Millner) and of Eastwood Rugby (the Football Club) have concluded that selling the TG Millner complex is the only way to guarantee our future as a force in the top tier of Sydney club rugby. As the long-term leaseholder over TG Millner, North Ryde RSL is the natural sale partner for us and we are in in advanced negotiations to sell the complex to the RSL.

Anyone associated with Eastwood Rugby knows that the maintenance and other costs associated with TG Millner Field were an ongoing and significant financial burden for the Club for many years and in more recent times the limitation on our operations at TG Millner have severely restricted the Club's income. Following the sale, we will retain the right to play at TG Millner for a period of time and supporters will be pleased to know that the RSL’s plans include a new licensed premises at the ground.

We all have strong emotional attachments to TG Millner, but as the custodians of the 70-year tradition established by the pioneers of our Club decades ago, we have recognised that we have a greater responsibility to take whatever steps are necessary to ensure our future.

"Go the Woods"

Brett Papworth
President

Rob Cusack
Chairman

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Norths sold their prime holding in the 90s to set them up for ever.
Didn't achieve that and I doubt this would either.
"Eastwood Rugby Club, founded 70 years ago on six hectares of land given to the club by the family behind the Soul Pattinson pharmacy fortune, is in advanced negotiations to sell the sites freehold to North Ryde RSL in a deal that property experts have estimated to be worth at least than $30 million."

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
For some reason I can't quote kiap but because a bloke is trying to look after the best interests of his club you think they should get rid of him?

Eastwood by the sounds of it even before this article came out haven't done very well sponsorship wise for a while.

They also don't take any of the gate because everyone signs up for a cheap membership at North Ryde RSL of something like $5/$10 for the season. I am not sure if they take parking but they definetly do not take the bar either.

Warringah have had similar problems up until two seasons ago but fixed it and are now reaping a few benefits I believe.

Norths are also in the same basket.

Neither of these clubs owned the ground though.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Eastwood by the sounds of it even before this article came out haven't done very well sponsorship wise for a while.
They've had a go and failed.

Also poisoned the chances of a wider rugby partnership to make use of TG Millner. Why should Papworth and co be kept on to cannibalise the club's remaining asset?

Accountability doesn't only apply at the level of unions. It needs to be at clubs.

Time for new management.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Annual maintenance costs now replaced by annual leasing costs which undoubtedly will include a component to cover the buyer's maintenance costs. If the byer is the RSL, then the present arrangements regarding membership and access to games will feasibly remain intact. The whole deal really needs to be transparent so that the real benefits and costs can been seen. Shades of the Brumbies and Griffith deal?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Obviously selling TG Milner was a sensible decision, nobody needs to manage an ageing piece of infrastructure off a shoestring budget.

That being said, it's pretty funny for Pappy to make a pragmatic future-facing decision that goes against the club's history when he so punishes the ARU for doing things they probably rationalise the same way.

W

Wilsonmate

They've had a go and failed.

Also poisoned the chances of a wider rugby partnership to make use of TG Millner. Why should Papworth and co be kept on to cannibalise the club's remaining asset?

Accountability doesn't only apply at the level of unions. It needs to be at clubs.

Time for new management.

You clearly have no idea what has been going on for the pas decade, if not before that, so take your personal issues elsewhere, because i would like to see E.D.R.U.F.C be secure for at least the next 100 years.
I'm sure everyone wishes that we could continue to play at our spiritual home ground, however, that would mean the woods eventually fizzling out into extinction.
Adapt or die.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The land is worth far more as residential property, by a big margin, than it is as a sporting venue.

It is a sad day for those of us who saw its beginnings, and also worked to make it happen. Although I was a kid when it was being built, I did my share of picking up rocks and so on.

It used to be a poultry farm, surrounded by not much at all.

When the times change, we have to change with them. Eastwood and the surrounding suburbs used to be a rugby heartland. Not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.