• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Senior, I'm aware of the great work that mcgilvray and the new board are doing with sponsors, corporate governance and dealing with creditors. I just don't understand why they sack a coach a few days before the season started. I mean they could have done this months ago. The colts situation really troubles me. My subbies club has a stack of colts and some very part time coaches. I would have thought colts players would love a professional coaching experience.
Some issues came to light last week which weren't known previously so this could not have happened earlier. The board had to deal with it as it came up. The colts situation troubles everyone especially as there were 119 colts in 2010. In my opinion this is an adopted recruitment and reputation problem which I believe will change before the start of next season. These players you mention who are playing subbies are welcome to come to Gordon at any time. Im sure they know of the club but maybe didnt feel it was accessible, this is something that will have to change.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
There was nothing in the Gordon news letter today about Briggs going or who has replaced him. Would have thought that if it was such a popular move the board would have told the members by now. Also no mention of only one colts side in the comp this year in the news letter either. Members will be happy they find this stuff out second hand from forum sites rather than from the club itself.
I assume Briggs has not replied to his termination yet and therefore the board didn't see it fit to go into the newsletter. Like all major happenings, Im sure this will appear on the website when it's appropriate and be added to the next newsletter.

State of Play

Frank Row (1)
I assume Briggs has not replied to his termination yet and therefore the board didn't see it fit to go into the newsletter. Like all major happenings, Im sure this will appear on the website when it's appropriate and be added to the next newsletter.
Still does not change the fact that I have just informed a member of Gordon that Briggs is gone and he thought I was taking the pi#$. He has the news letter and is not impressed that he found out second hand as he thought that such an announcement would be news worthy. Was even less impressed that there is only one colts side. He probably wont be the only one either. Strange that you have to reply to a letter to be fired. If he does not reply does he still have the gig.

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Still does not change the fact that I have just informed a member of Gordon that Briggs is gone and he thought I was taking the pi#$. He has the news letter and is not impressed that he found out second hand as he thought that such an announcement would be news worthy. Was even less impressed that there is only one colts side. He probably wont be the only one either. Strange that you have to reply to a letter to be fired. If he does not reply does he still have the gig.
I was just spitballing SOP, suggesting a reason that it wasn't in the newsletter -this has only just happened. It could also be possible that the board are not wanting to hang Briggs out to dry until he replies to them. Maybe they regret their decision? Who knows but regardless you'll get the information soon.
The new board have been a lot more transparent with news and the state of the club than in past times.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Teams named for RD 1

Eastwood: 1 Marty Plokstys, 2 Hugh Roach, 3 Dylan Brass, 4 Steve Cummins, 5 Mitch Lees, 6 Sione Tau, 7 Hugh Perrett (captain), 8 Jared Barry, 9 Shanin Proctor, 10 Jimmy Hilgendorf, 11 Cam Mitchell, 12 Tyler Spitz, 13 Michael McDougall, 14 Nick Reily, 15 Lachie Turner.

Southern Districts: 1 Duncan Chubb, 2 Steve Fualau, 3 Tim Metcher, 4 Andrew Leota, 5 Dallas Pawley, 6 Mick Kauter, 7 Jono Hayes (captain), 8 Marcus Carbone, 9 Waldo Wessels, 10 Rohan Saifoloi, 11 Alex Gibbon, 12 Apo Latunipulu, 13 Denny Godinet, 14 Oleni Ngunguatu, 15 Paul Asquith.

Sydney University: 1 Alasdair King, 2 Matthew Mafi, 3 Sam Talakai, 4 Oliver Atkins, 5 Will Skelton, 6 Liam Winton, 7 Benn Melrose, 8 Tim Davidson (captain), 9 Jake Gordon, 10 Jock Merriman, 11 Levi Dodd, 12 Tom Carter, 13 Michael Hodge, 14 Fetuli Talanoa, 15 Nathan Trist.

Manly: 1 Eddie Aholelei, 2 Andrew Collins, 3 Tim Fairbrother, 4 Ed Gower (captain), 5 Greg Peterson, 6 Andrew Davis, 7 Kotoni Ale, 8 Harry Bergelin, 9 Adam Crerar, 10 Sam Lane, 11 Jacob Woodhouse, 12 Peter Gilmore, 13 Brian Sefanaia, 14 Richard Hooper, 15 BJ Hartmann.

I know it's only Rd 1 but the strengths of these 4 sides is quite remarkable.

Manly without usuals Hilterbrand, Maraki, Neville and new signings yet to be unveiled in Lane, Helu and Lucas.

Uni without usuals Schwagger, Hickey, Kelly also returning sevens speedster Geludev and still have a host of returning super players.

Eastwood provide a mix of youth and experience with the rumoured return of speedster John Grant. Pierre Hola and Batger yet to be named alongside new faces in Spitz, Roach and Cummins.

Souths will have a host of players returning from super level including Faulkner, Volavola, Holloway, Hart and Wallaby hopefuls Cummins and Douglas.

Can't wait for this weeks action !

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Souths have a pretty weak side, lots of new names there. Nothing like last year's. Eastwood, Manly, Norths and Uni looks very strong.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I was wondering where John Grant had been since moving to the mungos for some strange reason.
The Gordon story is in the Telegraph today - Grier coaching both first and second grade with Tim Wallace running the backs. thats a lot of work. Would love to know why Briggs left. Can anyone clarify or at least make something up to shut me up?

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
1s & 2s usually train as a squad anyway it's not a huge issue...
And with concerns to Helu missing the Manly team this week he's been named as a fresh reserve alongside Laefa? The Rebels 3rd hooker

I blame the shortage of Gordon colts on the private schools stealing their good juniors & if they're really good they are probably playing for Sydney Uni on a scholarship

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
1s & 2s usually train as a squad anyway it's not a huge issue.
And with concerns to Helu missing the Manly team this week he's been named as a fresh reserve alongside Laefa? The Rebels 3rd hooker

I blame the shortage of Gordon colts on the private schools stealing their good juniors & if they're really good they are probably playing for Sydney Uni on a scholarship

That would be a bit simplistic as Sydney Uni plunder all clubs juniors. Lots of private schools are in the gordon region and could supply the colts. Alot of effort is needed to attract juniors to colts, perhaps gordon just expected it to happen.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Hold on.
How many "really good" ones from Year 12 2012 were formerly Gordon juniors "stolen" by private schools? "Stolen" must mean who went to a private school when they were not planning to go to one.
How many "really good" ones from Year 12 2012 who played gordon juniors at any stage are now at Sydney Uni on a scholarship?

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Guys - Its no use arguing the point of where/how players have ended up elsewhere. It just means that we have to catch up in regards to recruitment/retention of players. We have been beaten to that by better clubs and need to offer a unique, excellent experience to the juniors and adult players.

Gordon had 8 kids who played juniors in the Aussie schoolboys last year and didn't get any to come to the club - that has to change. Also the recruitment/retention of Adult players is at the forefront of the New board's mind.

There is no point whinging about this and that - if it's important enough to you to have a whine on a Rugby forum, feel free to come down on Saturday and support the club - Free entry if you are 30 or under!!!

Reactions: Tim

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

What a load of bollocks. Club Juniors and private schools have nothing to do with a Colts drain. Please explain how many 19 and 20 year olds are running around in the GPS and CAS competitions and the U18's Club competitions.

Knox Old Boys, Barker Old Boys, Riverview Old Boys, Roseville, Brothers, Lindfield, Hornsby, Hunters Hill and St Ives all manage to field Colts sides. Why can they do it in the Gordon's catchment but Gordon can't.

Knox, Barker, St Pius, St Leos, Chatswood, Lane Cove, Wahroonga, Roseville, Lindfield, St Ives, Hunters Hill, Killara West-Pymble and Hornsby, all schools and junior rugby clubs within farting distance of Gordon. Assuming 3 grades per School and 1 per Club and the fact most kids are eligible for at leats 2 years of Colts, Gordon can't entice 70 out of a potential pool of 756 players to be interested in continuing their rugby playing days after they turn 18.

Those are the numbers so, I repeat, Bollocks. :p

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
What a load of bollocks. Club Juniors and private schools have nothing to do with a Colts drain. Please explain how many 19 and 20 year olds are running around in the GPS and CAS competitions and the U18's Club competitions.

Knox Old Boys, Barker Old Boys, Riverview Old Boys, Roseville, Brothers, Lindfield, Hornsby, Hunters Hill and St Ives all manage to field Colts sides. Why can they do it in the Gordon's catchment but Gordon can't.

Knox, Barker, St Pius, St Leos, Chatswood, Lane Cove, Wahroonga, Roseville, Lindfield, St Ives, Hunters Hill, Killara West-Pymble and Hornsby, all schools and junior rugby clubs within farting distance of Gordon. Assuming 3 grades per School and 1 per Club and the fact most kids are eligible for at leats 2 years of Colts, Gordon can't entice 70 out of a potential pool of 756 players to be interested in continuing their rugby playing days after they turn 18.

Those are the numbers so, I repeat, Bollocks. :p

Totally agree. Not only that Gordon is the closest club from the Central Coast/ Newcastle.

Gordon also has access to provide accommodation for young country players with the UTS arrangement and has a more than wealthy ex player network that can provide jobs and support to these kids.

There are more out there!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Guys - Its no use arguing the point of where/how players have ended up elsewhere. It just means that we have to catch up in regards to recruitment/retention of players. We have been beaten to that by better clubs and need to offer a unique, excellent experience to the juniors and adult players.

Gordon had 8 kids who played juniors in the Aussie schoolboys last year and didn't get any to come to the club - that has to change. Also the recruitment/retention of Adult players is at the forefront of the New board's mind.

There is no point whinging about this and that - if it's important enough to you to have a whine on a Rugby forum, feel free to come down on Saturday and support the club - Free entry if you are 30 or under!!!

Why are you discriminating against us over 30 year olds ??? ;)

Stag XV

Frank Nicholson (4)
Why are you discriminating against us over 30 year olds ??? ;)
I'm sure they will be willing to accept over 30's if you're still prepared to pull on the boots! Clearly a ploy to get a younger bunch along that may be inspired to play with Gordon this season. Sure there are plenty of ex-players with money to assist the club but as is abundantly clear this year, even with all the assistance in the world on the sidelines you still need to put 15 players on the field for each grade!!

The board may have a plan to secure school-leavers in future years to fill the colts ranks, but this looks like a first step to try and salvage something for this year.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Teams named for RD 1

EASTWOOD V SOUTHERN DISTRICTS at TG Millner Field (ABC TV game, kick off 3pm)

Eastwood: 1 Marty Plokstys, 2 Hugh Roach, 3 Dylan Brass, 4 Steve Cummins, 5 Mitch Lees, 6 Sione Tau, 7 Hugh Perrett (captain), 8 Jared Barry, 9 Shanin Proctor, 10 Jimmy Hilgendorf, 11 Cam Mitchell, 12 Tyler Spitz, 13 Michael McDougall, 14 Nick Reily, 15 Lachie Turner.

Southern Districts: 1 Duncan Chubb, 2 Steve Fualau, 3 Tim Metcher, 4 Andrew Leota, 5 Dallas Pawley, 6 Mick Kauter, 7 Jono Hayes (captain), 8 Marcus Carbone, 9 Waldo Wessels, 10 Rohan Saifoloi, 11 Alex Gibbon, 12 Apo Latunipulu, 13 Denny Godinet, 14 Oleni Ngunguatu, 15 Paul Asquith.

Referee: Ian Smith

WARRINGAH V PENRITH at Pittwater Rugby Park (3pm)

Warringah: 1 Ben Kelly, 2 Luke Holmes, 3 Wayne Borsak, 4 Vincent Wright, 5 Michael Kovacics, 6 Sam Ward, 7 Mark Porpiglia, 8 Boyd Killingworth, 9 Joshua Holmes, 10 Hamish Angus (captain), 11 Michael Dalton, 12 Michael Adams, 13 Dylan Smouha, 14 Brad Dixon, 15 David Feltscheer.

Penrith: 1 Peter Niumata (captain), 2 Kerren Straker, 3 Heath Toon, 4 Tyrone Emelio, 5 Sione Fifita, 6 Suafai Soliola, 7 David Reopopoama, 8 Leo Burgess, 9 Paula Katoa, 10 Siaá Taveuveu, 11 James Umu, 12 Fokolulu Taumalolo, 13 Keori Okati, 14 John Maumau, 15 Wilson Silipa.

Referee: Richard Goswell

EASTERN SUBURBS V NORTHERN SUBURBS at Woollahra Oval (3pm)

Eastern Suburbs: 1 Clay Brodie, 2 Alex Walker, 3 Rob McMicken, 4 Keliti Vaingalo. 5 Richard Stanford, 6 Andrew Shaw, 7 Ryan Hodson, 8 Pauli Taumoepeau (captain), 9 Luke Irwin, 10 Henry Hudson, 11 Anton Lavin, 12 Tom Azar, 13 Elijah Niko, 14 Louie Taylor, 15 Angus Sinclair.

Northern Suburbs: 1 Nic Curtis, 2 Will Weeks, 3 Nick Lah, 4 Ben Matwijow, 5 Chris Thomson, 6 Sam Figg, 7 AJ Gilbert (captain), 8 Pat Sio, 9 Liam Walker, 10 Scott Daruda, 11 Blake Murray, 12 Kenny Niko, 13 Bill Meakes, 14 Peter Schuster, 15 Corey Brown.

Referee: Damien Mitchelmore

PARRAMATTA V SYDNEY UNIVERSITY at Merrylands RSL Rugby Park (3pm)

Parramatta: 1 Nick Blacklock, 2 Myles Hunkin, 3 Chris Seuteni, 4 Charlie Leaeno, 5 Evan Olmstead, 6 Andrew Cox (captain), 7 Rodney Ma’a, 8 Josh Kaifa, 9 Solomona Silipa, 10 Tom Woods, 11 Dan Yakopo, 12 Damien Fakafanua, 13 Iese Leota, 14 Lani Tiatia, 15 Moses Tavola.

Sydney University: 1 Alasdair King, 2 Matthew Mafi, 3 Sam Talakai, 4 Oliver Atkins, 5 Will Skelton, 6 Liam Winton, 7 Benn Melrose, 8 Tim Davidson (captain), 9 Jake Gordon, 10 Jock Merriman, 11 Levi Dodd, 12 Tom Carter, 13 Michael Hodge, 14 Fetuli Talanoa, 15 Nathan Trist.

Referee: William Houston

WEST HARBOUR V RANDWICK at Concord Oval (3pm)

West Harbour: 1 Aisea Namoa, 2 Murray Scoles, 3 Vaughan Lomax, 4 Alfred Pinomi, 5 Bradford Kapa, 6 Jono Midghall, 7 Cohen Masson, 8 Tom Games (captain), 9 David Osofua, 10 Shaun Treweek, 11 Tito Mua, 12 Winston Wilson, 13 Alofa Alofa, 14 Macquire Tatola, 15 Dylan Taikato-Simpson.

Randwick: 1 Faitotoa Asa, 2 Nio Halangahu, 3 Richard Aho, 4 Junior Taavili, 5 Bryce Speechley, 6 Tom Bennet, 7 Seilala Lam (captain), 8 Nathan Paella, 9 Harrison Boileau, 10 Toby Browne, 11 Ethan Ford, 12 Terrance Hepetema, 13 Tim Wright, 14 Sam Latu, 15 Mark Kotezcky.

Referee: Michael Hogan

GORDON V MANLY at Chatswood Oval (3pm)

Gordon: 1 Hugh Cropley, 2 Ron Hobden (captain), 3 Willy Maumalanga, 4 Lex Fairley, 5 Andrew Turner, 6 Luke Rissman, 7 Gordon Broome, 8 Seb Murphy, 9 Terry Preston, 10 Mitch Walton, 11 Vesi Tokalaulevu, 12 Tom Matthews, 13 Matt Mc Dougall, 14 Michael Manners, 15 Richie Williams.

Manly: 1 Eddie Aholelei, 2 Andrew Collins, 3 Tim Fairbrother, 4 Ed Gower (captain), 5 Greg Peterson, 6 Andrew Davis, 7 Kotoni Ale, 8 Harry Bergelin, 9 Adam Crerar, 10 Sam Lane, 11 Jacob Woodhouse, 12 Peter Gilmore, 13 Brian Sefanaia, 14 Richard Hooper, 15 BJ Hartmann.

Referee: Andrew Lees

TIPS or Guesses at Winners ANYONE????
Methinks (or stabs in the dark) as follows-
Eastwood
Warringah
Norths
Uni
Randwick
Manly

Sure is great to get the footy back.

Status
Not open for further replies.