• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Re: 2009 Shute Shield

TheRiddler said:
Lee Grant said:
Interesting match but the big game was on at Rat Park.

Au contraire mon ami - THE game of the round had to be the one at the Colosseum of Sydney club rugby, aka Chatswood Oval. The sun beating down, hardening up the cricket pitch even further, the romantic sound of trains thundering by, wonderful steak sandwiches from those hard working Golden Oldies - and a smashing of North Sydney to boot. Even a couple of good handbag incidents, one of which led to a 5 minute on-field discussion between the three officials resulting in absolutely no action be taken. Marvellous!

Sounds like heaven

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

TheRiddler said:
Even a couple of good handbag incidents, one of which led to a 5 minute on-field discussion between the three officials resulting in absolutely no action be taken. Marvellous!

Marvellous??? OK, I know the tongue was firmly in cheek but give me a bit of club biff ahead of club handbags any day.

Take the Rats v Marlins game on Saturday (he segued.)

After 2 minutes Tyrone Smith smashed high into Beau Robinson on a vague suspicion that he might have got the ball in the vicinity as regards space and time. He didn't, and high anyway - yellow card. Robinson didn't complain having done it many a time himself.

5 minutes later 6 Dan Collins of Manly gets Robinson with a reasonable elbow to the chops, and Robbo gets in a short right so as not to hurt Collins feelings that his elbow was ineffective. Rats 6 Brent Murphy throws one in sympathy with his skipper. 3 Yellow cards

That's 4 and there was another later to a Rats winger which was BS.

That's what I call magnificent.

Geez - ya gotta love the local derbies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

In Sydney and might take my son to a game. Any suggestions on the game of the round - Warringah v Eastwood ?? Randwick v Gordon??

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

ACT Crusader said:
In Sydney and might take my son to a game. Any suggestions on the game of the round - Warringah v Eastwood ?? Randwick v Gordon??

Waringah v Eastwood

Warringah: 1. Pek Cowan, 2. Luke Holmes, 3. Dan Barnard; 4. Hugh Pyle, 5. Chris Thomson; 6. Brent Murphy, 7. Beau Robinson [c], 8. Trevor Richardson; 9. Brett Sheehan, 10. Sam Harris; 11. Dylan Smouha, 12. Josh Holmes, 13. Haig Sare, 14. Willie Bishop; 15. Jordon Macey.

Eastwood: 1. Simon Norris, 2. Keiran Longbottom, 3. Matt Dunning; 4. Locky McCaffrey, 5. Tom Alexander; 6. Damien Fitzpatrick, 7. Ben Coridas, 8. Hugh Perrett [c]; 9. Chris O’Young, 10. James Foote; 11. Rowan Kellam, 12. Sione Piukala, 13. Tim Bennetts, 14. Mark Frost; 15. Ben Batger.

Plus a load of Wallabies

Randwick have half their side in France with the Brumbies

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Yeah - Rat Park in God's Country. If your kid is small tell him to bring his footie with him and sit on he hill on the northern side. Then he can charge on the park with the other kids to practise kicks between matches or at half time.

Should be a good game but I hope our THP stays healthy as he's the only one left in the club.

Will be good to see Pecker go against Dunning in the scrums, and John Mitchell will be pleased that local WA lad Kieran Longbottom is getting a gig for Eastwood in a big club game - as hooker. To accommodate him Tah hooker Damien Fitzpatrick moves to 6.

For the Rats: Pat McCabe is off to France with the Brumbies; so Oz 7s player Willie Bishop is allowed to play in 1st Grade. Coach McKee will have his fingers crossed. Bishop has a beautiful side step but the trouble is that he often uses it on defence.

Have another look at Rat Josh Holmes as a 12 and the new Force reserve flyhalf Sam Harris playing 10. For Eastwood have a look at Kiwi 10 James Foote and 2008 Schools player 13 Tim Bennetts.

In other games George Smith and Cliffy Palu are playing for Manly and going by how crap they were at Rat Park last week, they will need them to get their campaign back on track.

You gotta feel a bit sorry for Northern Suburbs because they are playing Sydney Uni who have some useful players:
1. Scott Cameron, 2. Ben Roberts, 3. Patrick Ryan; 4. Dave Dennis, 5. Ben McCalman; 6. Dean Mumm, 7. Phil Waugh, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Luke Burgess, 10. Daniel Halangahu; 11. Nick Edwards, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Jacob Taylor; 15. Nathan Trist.

I wonder where Will Caldwell is these days??

Not a bad team without their real front row - or is Weeks held captive in Brisbane these days? Keep your eye on 3 Paddy Ryan in the future. I said that Pecker Cowan was the best Schools prop I ever saw - but Ryan was second best. As with Cowan, the opinion was not based on scrummaging ability (given the laws the boys play under) but in getting around the park and being a defacto 2nd no. 8.

He was LHP in the Oz Schools 1st XV in 2006 and then disappeared, perhaps on a gap year, and showed up in Uni Colts in 2008. This year I saw him come off the bench for Uni in a curtain raiser to a S14 game - that so-called Oz club championship wherein Uni were missing most of their players who were other duties.

With Jerry Y at LHP he has been playing THP, which will do him no harm, and he is probably too tall to play on the LH side in senior rugby anyway. Sydney Uni 1st grade front rowers are usually well regarded by Super talent scouts, but I haven't seen enough of him in 2009 to see if the boy prop can play as a man.

But I digress.

R

rugbywhisperer

I see on the Rugby Club last night that those 'magnificent men' have jagged O'Connor.
I'll chat with the family tomorrow at TSS v BBC to make sure they are aware of the significance of playing with such an historic club - steeped in atmosphere, tradition and clubmanship.
Yooohooo at least Uni didn't get him. :fishing :fishing :fishing

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Lee Grant said:
Have another look at Rat Josh Holmes as a 12 and the new Force reserve flyhalf Sam Harris playing 10.

With Tahu gone, Holmes starts to look a possibility at 12. He is certainly a crap halfback. But he has the Eastwood voodoo going for him.

Lee Grant said:
You gotta feel a bit sorry for Northern Suburbs because they are playing Sydney Uni who have some useful players:
1. Scott Cameron, 2. Ben Roberts, 3. Patrick Ryan; 4. Dave Dennis, 5. Ben McCalman; 6. Dean Mumm, 7. Phil Waugh, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Luke Burgess, 10. Daniel Halangahu; 11. Nick Edwards, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Jacob Taylor; 15. Nathan Trist.

Didn't you mean to bold Tom Carter as well? :)

F

formeropenside

Lee - Weeks is turning out for Queensland Uni, as is Adam Byrnes (and, apparently Ezra Taylor, although he is yet to be sighted post-S14).

Scott Cameron is the former Melbourne Rebels ARC LHP, isn't he? Where is Tilse?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

rugbywhisperer said:
I see on the Rugby Club last night that those 'magnificent men' have jagged O'Connor.

Hold that phone - have just seen my recording of the Rugby Club. Eastwood are stacking their side with imports because they are playing the Mighty Rats. It's pitiful what clubs will do for a couple of competition points.

Whispers - you made a mistake: the 'magnificent men' did not jag O'Connor - Eastwood did. No doubt the Rabbit doubted his ability to make the Rats 1st Grade team and opted for the Woodies.

Bloody hell, and he's not the only Wallaby ringer playing for Eastwood. ['Ringer' = anybody not named in the team sheets during the week.] The Woodies have panicked and are playing their North Sydney poach Ben Alexander, plus a couple of other handy players who normally play for another team but didn't have a game on - Lachie Turner and Benn Robiinson.

The big question is: will Robinson bother to get out of his tracksuit to go against poor old Barney in the scrums?

Talking of Robinsons: Beau, Chief Rat, will have a big one. He is smarting from not having his contract renewed by the Tahs and not being picked up elsewhere. Look for him clocking young shaver Damien Fitzpatrick around the chops, by way of welcome to the backrow.

Old Eastwood factotum Chris Hickey will be there. He knows Holmes well from the time he shamefully poached him a couple of years back from the Rats and will want to have a look at him play 12 at the ground. Dingo will probably be at the game looking at his lads and you never know: if Holmes has a blinder there many be a flicker of interest in Holmes as a utility down the track.

Uni didn't get JOC (James O'Connor)? Obviously he is not after a Sydney Uni degree and doesn't need the free tuition - and more importantly - precedence that Sydney Uni rugby players enjoy in getting into courses ahead of everybody else. [And Uni tragics should not bother squealing in protest that it doesn't happen, because I know that it does.]

formeropenside

Tilse has disappeared in recent weeks - not even named in 2nd Grade as he was last year a lot. Must be injured.

Yeah Scott Cameron is the Rebels guy. He's normally the Uni 2nd Grade LHP.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lee Grant said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Hold that phone - have just seen my recording of the Rugby Club. Eastwood are stacking their side with imports because they are playing the Mighty Rats. It's pitiful what clubs will do for a couple of competition points.
Whispers - you made a mistake: the 'magnificent men' did not jag O'Connor - Eastwood did. No doubt the Rabbit doubted his ability to make the Rats 1st Grade team and opted for the Woodies.
Nice one Lee - good form
Ok, now that the ground rules are set -
maybe he sees in Eastwood an opportunity to develop - to become that special something for which we all hope. To be among greatness, to draw strength from tradition and heritage.
What a wonderful opportunity for the lad.

R

rugbywhisperer

Better to be patriotic to your club no matter where you live than to be a fluttering butterfly flitting between clubs depending on where you live.
has always been, is now and always will be my no1 club - born, bred and raised on Milner Field

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

rugbywhisperer said:
- born, bred and raised on Milner Field

Must have been hell on your poor mum.

I never did any breeding myself there though in my young days I once got a cuddle behind the stands from a girl from Rooty Hill, who unfortunately couldn't be convinced that she was letting down her suburb by abstaining.

R

rugbywhisperer

Actually did lot of practice breeding there. The sat night home game dances at the club used to be a hoot. Don't know how we survived to get home in our state.
Had some great times there with McQueen during the time he was on loan from the rats. Mark Holmes would remember.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

So it was your mob that poached Maqueen. Typical.

Wasn't the best rugby player in the world but was a hard guy and often borderline dirty - playing for Eastwood, of course. For the Rats he was "uncompromising".

Never dreamt what a master coach he would become.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

fatprop said:
Randwick have half their side in France with the Brumbies

Gordon have their captain Ed Gower away on the Brumbies trip as well. Nifo Nifo is back from his Samoan duties but I think that Gower will be a big loss.

I now have to decide which bridge to cross tomorrow - Coathanger to see Gordon or Spit to see the star-laden game being promoted above.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lee Grant said:
So it was your mob that poached Maqueen. Typical.
Wasn't the best rugby player in the world but was a hard guy and often borderline dirty - playing for Eastwood, of course. For the Rats he was "uncompromising".
Never dreamt what a master coach he would become.

Absolutely fantastic clubman - not a bad businessman either - had some great times with Rod and Liz (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.