• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sheridan out for the World Cup. Wallabies scrum starting to look a lot better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sheridan is a farce as a dominant prop, at least these days. The England scrum went much better when he went of against the Argies and as Blue said Stevens in quality.

J

Jay

He was fine as he kept bound and only had to stay on or behind the tryline. As soon as the ball was out, Higgers had every right to dive on it.

He didn't keep bound though, that's the point. He was bound only by a hand at first, and then completely let go of his lock and was standing equal with the Italian second row. If he'd been bound he wouldn't have been in a position to pounce on the loose ball.

And my reading of the laws says players must stay bound till the scrum is over, which occurs when it emerges, the 8 detaches or the ball enters the in-goal. He was detached well before any of that happened.

J

Jay

There is no off side in goal so Higgers was within his rights to disengage and steal the ball.

There is no offside, true. If it had been a back who did the same thing, no problem, but he had to remain bound.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
As soon as it went over the goal line the scrum is over so he was within his rights to dive at the ball as Parisse lost control of it.

J

Jay

Law 22.6 Scrum, ruck or maul pushed into in-goal
A scrum, ruck or maul can take place only in the field of play.

The laws specifically say a scrum ends when the ball enters the in-goal. If the law were interpreted as you suggest a pushover would be all but impossible.

J

Jay

IIRC the ball was OUT. If so, then the scrum was over and Higgers could dive on it regardless of where it was in the field.

Anway, Parisse fucked up and should have scored.

I'd suggest you have a look at replay and note when Higgenbotham detached (both his initial action of standing up and only remaining bound by holdind a jersey and when he completely detached), when he crossed the tryline himself and when the ball actually left the scrum.

But I agree with the second bit - Parisse should have just scooped the ball up and gone over earlier, I reckon.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Back on topic.. A word of caution here..England gain a more mobile and technically superior loosehead in Stephens. While Stephens is not as powerful on the engagement, or on the drive, he is technically superior. Sheridan is really not that effective when he comes up against props who can negate his power. As a unit, the English front five is not weakened. Coles does the business at tighthead and Stephens will keep the scrum up and going forward against weaker opposition. I don't think the Wallabies scrum would be stuffed by England with or without Sheridan but I think Stephens is the better player in the loose with a stronger work ethic.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hmmm that was my problem. Not at home and IRB knobheads mean I can't just look up highlights on youtube and my stupid uni connection can't handle the irb and foxsports plugins.

Why didn't I just stay at home?!!?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Parisse dragged it back in then would'nt that break law 20.9 (d) ?

(d) All players: When the ball comes out, leave it out. When the ball has left the scrum, a player must not bring it back in to the scrum.
Sanction: Free Kick

Then again I thought Samo broke law 20.9 (b) handling the ball in the scrum in this same game but I was told he had disengaged & was therefore allowed to do it. Maybe I've missed something with Parisse.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
People who think they lose scrummaging power haven't seen much of Stevens.

He's a good scrummager. Was mainly a THP before his drug suspension but played some at LHP on his return to the game for Saracens at the beginning of 2011 and did better than I thought on that side. He was selected for the RWC as the backup for THP Cole but because the backup LHP Corbisiero is not a stellar scrummager by comparison with Sheridan, Stevens could be wearing the 1 shirt in the rest of the tournament. In this case they will replace Sheridan with a THP. This would not disappoint Cole who would otherwise be feeling the heat from Stevens.

Stevens at LHP would not be as big a challenge for opponents as Stevens at THP but according to him at the end of last season his LHP scrummaging had improved a lot since his return.

The injury is bitter news for Sheridan who is a good lad. He dislocated his shoulder whilst I was watching a Sale game nearly 2 years ago and he was out for a long time; so I wonder if it is a recurrence of that injury.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
He's a good scrummager. Was mainly a THP before his drug suspension but played some at LHP on his return to the game for Saracens at the beginning of 2011 and did better than I thought on that side. He was selected for the RWC as the backup for THP Cole but because the backup LHP Corbisiero is not a stellar scrummager by comparison with Sheridan, Stevens could be wearing the 1 shirt in the rest of the tournament. In this case they will replace Sheridan with a THP. This would not disappoint Cole who would otherwise be feeling the heat from Stevens.

Stevens at LHP would not be as big a challenge for opponents as Stevens at THP but according to him at the end of last season his LHP scrummaging had improved a lot since his return.

The injury is bitter news for Sheridan who is a good lad. He dislocated his shoulder whilst I was watching a Sale game nearly 2 years ago and he was out for a long time; so I wonder if it is a recurrence of that injury.

Lee, you raise a good point about Matt Stephens being primarily a test TH. He has only played loosehead for Saracens after returning from suspension. It probably suits his game more as he is a very mobile, wide ranging footballing prop that will be less sapped from TH play. I know one English coach who says he has transitioned superbly to the LH side and is a formidable scrummager because he is technically strong. He'll get a fresh examination of his credentials at Test level for sure.

J

Jumpers

Argentina and England both have powerful scrums as does the ABs and Wannabes. South Africa and France ain't far away either. Seldom do we see push over tries although a penality try can be awards against the opposing team.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Italy are a very good scrummaging pack.
That scrum was after 2 re-shuffles with a sub then a blood bin, and the Wallabies did not focus enough on it. The Italians did. They should have scored the try.
Apart from that, we won all our feeds, went back twice otherwise, and drove the Italian scrum back nicely on a second shove on their feed.
Overall, pretty good.

I really liked how Rolland managed to find a penalty for Italy when their scrum dominated one feed and about 10 minutes later we did the same to them and he was happy to let their scrum fall to pieces and scrap the ball out of the back.

J

Jay

I really liked how Rolland managed to find a penalty for Italy when their scrum dominated one feed and about 10 minutes later we did the same to them and he was happy to let their scrum fall to pieces and scrap the ball out of the back.

Unless you can actually address what the penalty was given for that's a pretty pointless comment - "I liked how he gave a penalty to them that time when one of our guys made a tackle, but then was happy to let them tackle us a bunch of times".

Status
Not open for further replies.