• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sharks v. Tahs - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Do you rekkon he will give reffing a go?

he cant be that bad?

Either your humour is over my head me or you mistake Marius Joubert, returning Springbok centre from Clairmont Auvergne for his namesake refereree Craig.

Or both.

Incidentally Joubert has been on fire in France.

Pity for the Sharks they donlt have him this week. Their midfield is terrible.

With Jannie du Plessis out Smit is likely to start at 3 which adds a lot around the field but will hand the Tahs an upper hand in the scrums.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Either your humour is over my head me or you mistake Marius Joubert, returning Springbok centre from Clairmont Auvergne for his namesake refereree Craig.

Or both.

Incidentally Joubert has been on fire in France.

Pity for the Sharks they donlt have him this week. Their midfield is terrible.

With Jannie du Plessis out Smit is likely to start at 3 which adds a lot around the field but will hand the Tahs an upper hand in the scrums.

Marius Jobert =
Craig Joburt + Marius Jonker?

maybe those names are too common in SA for that to be funny. Sorry.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Marius Jobert =
Craig Joburt + Marius Jonker?

maybe those names are too common in SA for that to be funny. Sorry.
Nee Boet Marius Joubert scored a hat trick against the All Blacks, dont think the refs is capable of this. Bonker will be in action in the Stormers vs Brumbies match.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Looks like Berrick could be right vs the Shorks

Hits and memory loss but Barnes clear of serious concussion
Jamie Pandaram
May 25, 2011

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ear-of-serious-concussion-20110524-1f2jl.html

DURBAN: Doctors have cleared Berrick Barnes of concussion from last Saturday, instead diagnosing him with a less serious condition called footballer's migraine, which might also explain some of his previous head injuries that have been put down to concussion.

Waratahs team doctor Sharron Flahive said that Barnes sustained a minor knock to the back of the head while playing against the Lions, suffered a delayed reaction of dizziness, and then had such a heavy loss of memory that he could not remember what year it was, which week of the season he was in, or if he had played for the Waratahs last year.

These might appear distressing signs for a player who has already suffered two heavy concussions this year, but the Waratahs are convinced it is just the opposite.

For that type of reaction from a concussion, he would have needed to have been unconscious for several minutes, Dr Flahive said.

After being examined by his neurologist Professor John Watson at the ground, Barnes was diagnosed with an overlapping of two different conditions: footballer's migraine, and transient global amnesia.

Dr Flahive said Barnes - who is likely to play the Sharks in Durban on Saturday (Sydney time) - would not have to fear any long-term consequences from the latest injury.

''Over the years, Berrick has had most likely a number of concussions while playing rugby league, for the Reds and Wallabies, and earlier this year for the Waratahs, but some of those concussions we now believe may have been a variant of footballer's migraine,'' Dr Flahive said.

''The most recent incident we believe was also associated with transient global amnesia, and those conditions are not as neurologically concerning as concussions, where we worry about long-term damage.''

This is potentially a major boost for Barnes's career, given his ''history'' of concussion before joining NSW is now in question.

Footballer's migraine is said to cause delayed disorientation in athletes, and is usually caused by minor head knocks, but is blamed on vascular reactions rather than neurological ones. Transient global amnesia can be brought on by vigorous exercise.

Barnes was brilliant last Saturday in orchestrating three tries, and would severely weaken the side's prospects of winning on their South African trip if he missed matches.

But the Waratahs said all precautions were being taken to put his welfare before the team's needs.

When Professor Watson assessed Barnes last Saturday, he told Flahive he was convinced the player was not suffering from concussion.

''He seemed to have received a minor head knock and appeared to be fine, and then wobbled on his feet,'' Dr Flahive said. ''It was not an overly forceful tackle [Barnes was hit at a breakdown by teammate Chris Alcock, who was joining the contest] with the impact to the back of the head. What was different about this was that he had profound amnesia … Berrick didn't know what year it was.

''For that kind of reaction he would have needed to have been unconscious for a few minutes, not from one little knock. There is a thought that he had an overlapping of footballer's migraine and transient global amnesia. The amnesia is profound but it is very quick, it shrinks, and after the game he could remember what he had for breakfast and that he played for the Waratahs.

''By the next day he was fully recovered, he got on the plane and was working on his computer - people with concussion struggle with computers. We're confident that's what we're dealing with, we're not dealing with concussion here.''

Dr Flahive said it was possible to treat footballer's migraine by giving players anti-inflammatory or migraine medication before games.

Barnes's previous concussion, on March 26 against the Brumbies, had far more worrying after-effects, and kept him sidelined for five weeks. Weeks after the hit he was still experiencing dizziness.

He had an MRI scan, which was clear, and underwent six hours of cognitive testing, before he was allowed to return. Barnes said at the time that he feared another heavy knock could end his career

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bloody Hell! I hope that the presumably eminent neurologist Dr Watson got it right. From a close clustered number of incidences of concussion to "an overlapping of footballer's migraine and transient global amnesia".

During the game "such a heavy loss of memory that he could not remember what year it was, which week of the season he was in, or if he had played for the Waratahs last year"; but then "after the game he could remember what he had for breakfast and that he played for the Waratahs."

I am not trying to be flippant here but who gives a toss that it "would severely weaken the side's prospects of winning on their South African trip if he missed matches."

The article states that "Barnes's previous concussion, on March 26 against the Brumbies, had far more worrying after-effects", so presumably that diagnosis was correct.

Let's hope that all goes well for the young bloke, short term and in the longer perspective.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Has Sharon been misquoted, or does she really think the Reds, Wallabies and Tahs play Rugby League?

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Bloody Hell! I hope that the presumably eminent neurologist Dr Watson got it right. From a close clustered number of incidences of concussion to "an overlapping of footballer's migraine and transient global amnesia".
He's a professor at Sydney Uni, who has significant research in the area and practices at Sydney Adventist Hospital. I'd be surprised if there were more eminent neurologists available. As for getting it right, I'm afraid it's always a matter of trust.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think you're parsing the sentence wrong, Moses. It's a list. She's saying he got head knocks when he played rugby league, as well as when he played for the Reds and Wallabies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I think you're parsing the sentence wrong, Moses. It's a list. She's saying he got head knocks when he played rugby league, as well as when he played for the Reds and Wallabies.
Yep, I farked up for sure - didn't see the comma. In my defence, I dropped my phone on Monday night, the glass cracked into an impressive spiderweb which is now held to the phone with a big piece of clear packaging tape.....

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Ouch. iPhones don't have that post-smash longevity, do they? My Nokia 5110 lasted for years with electrical tape holding the battery on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep, I farked up for sure - didn't see the comma. In my defence, I dropped my phone on Monday night, the glass cracked into an impressive spiderweb which is now held to the phone with a big piece of clear packaging tape.....

didn't your man bag stop it from being damaged?

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

iPhone doctor - he's in chatswood. it'll cost about $100, done in an hour or so

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
PaarlBok; The Sharks have midfield issues. You need to attack them in the 10/12/13 channel.

Good signs with Kurtley running off Berrick last week to probe the midfield. I'm confident of the forwards competing well in the set piece and in loose play. Hard to pick this one but I'm going Tahs by 5 with Beale as MOM. Or - If Beale doesn't have a blinder - I'm going Sharks by 10 with Alberts as MOM. Tragedy that Beale has signed with the rebels for 2012.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Changing the subject back onto the topic (I'm sure Moses' man bag can get some credit) when is the teams due to be announced?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Beale needs to keep practicing his kicking. It wasn't good last week and this game is definitely going to be decided by penalty kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.