• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sharks v. Tahs - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great match up this one. Interesting forward battle and Durban has been a good hunting ground for the Tahs in recent years. IMO, if the forwards turn up and Ryan Cross decides to throw a pass, The tahs will take it.

Not by much though. Not by much.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah, things need to fall into place as we need to take this one. Big games from mowen Dennis Alcock and mumm, and a BIG improvement from Douglas - still getting caught ruck watching last night. If we can rattle them early we may have a chance they will fall apart

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why was Timani ruled out, hand again? We'll need him badly if Palu ain't playing (any news on him? He was suppose to play vs Lions wasn't he?).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
In all honesty I just cannot see how they will win this unless they play 65-70 minutes like they did in the first two games or first half this week. The Bulls Conservative tactics nearly killed them in the second half as their pack tired. The first 30 minute dominance by the Bulls was what got them home and I don't think the Tahs can produce that sort of performance as they haven't since week 2. The only thing that works in the Tahs favour is the fact that the Shorks will be very battered and bruised from an extremely intense game.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Timani was a late scratching, I think I read knee?

Not sure on palu. There was an article about the aru asking he be left at home to recover. Anyone know if he ended up going to SA?

A

Alex-A

The Tahs next 3 opponents are all the closest competition for getting wildcard spots. Sharks, Bulls, then Highlanders (home). If the Tahs can win 1 out of the 2 matches in SA then I recon they can make it. Durban should be the easiest of the tour given that there will be no altitude issues, and that the Sharks recently lost to the Bulls here.

Sharks have only beaten one of the top teams this year ( Blues in week 2) whilst the rest of their victories have been against lesser ranked teams.... Bit like the Tahs really.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The one positive I can see is that the tahs have encountered many a hostile crowd this year, so the SA crowds won't be so confronting.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Barnes got himself a third concussion and is in doubt for the game. Apparently it's not as bad as he others, but presumably he is also in doubt for a continued career in rugby. Unlucky bugger.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Timani was a late scratching, I think I read knee?

Not sure on palu. There was an article about the aru asking he be left at home to recover. Anyone know if he ended up going to SA?

No. The touring team to SA was the match 22 from Saturday (without Kingston who is off to the U20s) plus Sita Timani, Paddy Ryan, Afa Pakalani, BKH, Ben Batger.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Sharks were pretty poor at the weekend but the got comprehensively outmuscled by the Bulls who looked like the 2010 vintage for the first time this year. After this victory away against the Sharks, the crowds will come back to Loftus in their hordes.

To beat the Sharks, the Tahs will have to do the same. Dominate the set piece and the collisions. If you give Alberts, Deysel and Bismarck an inch in attack the Sharks get momentum and they are a different team because they can play their direct style. Take that away from them and the are forced to kick or spread the ball wider, neither of which has worked particularly well for them.

They will be angry in Durban though so the Tahs will have their work cut out for them.

Also, without Smit the Sharks have leadership issues and he is still out injured.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Ben Batger? I posted after an Oz Baas game this year that he was my MOTM against the Junior Tahs. He played well for Eastwood last year and this, and, although he never seized his chance in Super rugby before, it's good to see him considered again.

If you want to get a new player into the squad at this time of the year it's always better to get an experienced guy.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rubbish. Palu will definitely be picked in the RWC squad if fit. As it stands he will have about three months after the Tahs return to get some match fitness up. That should be enough.

He has already vowed to play every game possible for manly.

Great to see BKH finally getting a run!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Travel seems to be quite an issue with hamstring problems so it would be best that he stays home and gets it good again. He will play the last 2 games for the Tah's and hopefully a final or 2.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Sharks were pretty poor at the weekend but the got comprehensively outmuscled by the Bulls who looked like the 2010 vintage for the first time this year. After this victory away against the Sharks, the crowds will come back to Loftus in their hordes.

To beat the Sharks, the Tahs will have to do the same. Dominate the set piece and the collisions. If you give Alberts, Deysel and Bismarck an inch in attack the Sharks get momentum and they are a different team because they can play their direct style. Take that away from them and the are forced to kick or spread the ball wider, neither of which has worked particularly well for them.

They will be angry in Durban though so the Tahs will have their work cut out for them.

Also, without Smit the Sharks have leadership issues and he is still out injured.

Just about right. The Sharks have midfield issues. You need to attack them in the 10/12/13 channel. Thats where the Stormers and Saders killed them. The Sharks will be desperate tho, Sharks by 10+ my geuss.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If neither Timani or Palu play I can't see us winning. We won't win the collisions and without a decent kicker we won't get enough points.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Is this definite or is he still a possibility to play?

Sport24
Injury crisis for Sharks

Johannesburg - The Sharks will be without two of their Springboks - and possibly a third - for this weekend's Super Rugby match against the Waratahs in Durban.

Wing Odwa Ndungane has broken his hand and will be sidelined for at least a month. Tighthead prop Jannie du Plessis suffered a partial tear of the medial ligament to his right knee and will also be sidelined for about a month.

Centre Adrian Jacobs is also struggling with an ankle injury that may keep him out of the Waratahs game. He has to undergo a fitness test on Thursday.

Springbok captain John Smit trained at full steam on Monday and will be considered for the game against the men from Sydney.

According to Sharks team doctor Ewoudt van der Linde, Ndungane already broke his hand in the first half, after which it was strapped and he played on.

He was moved to fullback in place of Louis Ludik in the second half. Notwithstanding the injury, his form was one of the few good things in a very uninspired Sharks performance. Ndungane will undergo an operation in the next few days.

It was initially feared that Du Plessis's injury could be much worse than what was revealed by the scan.

Other than what is the case with Springbok scrumhalf Fourie du Preez, Du Plessis did not suffer a complete tear of the ligament.

News from the Sharks camp is that they are eager to make up for their poor performance against the Bulls. They are apparently seething about the quality of their performance and all the errors they made.

They conceded a lot of penalties and also knocked on one ball after the other.

They are determined to put things right against the Waratahs on Saturday and get back on the winning track.
Myself still cant understand why the Sharks dont give Conrad Hoffman a start. Also a talented youngster from Paarl. They sure can do with the services of Marius Joubert in 13. He'll only join from 1st of July. Battleship & Alberts are in desperate need of a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.