• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semifinal 1: Reds V Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
A long walk needs a first step, it is not a revolution but it can be the start of something bigger. Now a dream of 40k per game seems possible....Admittedly the Broncos are on free to air a lot, but this is also a great form of advertising for their games

Agree lb. No one said these stats 'were a revolution', but they are incontestably huge, tangible progress for the game (vs other codes) in QLD. For God's sake, Reds rugby was on death's door by 2008-9! And the free TV point re league is not as simple as it looks to water down these improvements, as Foxtel and AUSTAR are well penetrated in SE QLD with all the included rugby matches, and still we are getting these excellent crowds at games.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
And though you should listen yourself ;)

He is healing slower than he would like and will not be available this weekend, but is staying positive.

Beau played a half of club on the weekend and is good to go.

Ant and Digby are also available for selection.

Did I miss anyone?

I'm guessing that means Morahan, Slipper and Lucas are all gone for the season?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
No word on Mozz.

Last I saw Lucas (Sunday) he was in a knee brace so won't be seen for the Reds again this year.

Slipper was wearing a moonboot on Tuesday when I saw him, so you would think the same.

Nothing official though.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Blues Team has been named:

Blues team named for semifinal
1:31 PM Wednesday Jun 29, 2011

The Blues have named their team for Saturday's semifinal against the Reds in Brisbane.

Luke Braid has been named ahead of older brother Daniel for the openside flanker spot while Chris Lowrey will start in place of injured lock Anthony Boric.

Meanwhile in the backline Rene Ranger has been bracketed with Lachie Munro.

Blues:
Jared Payne, Joe Rokocoko, Benson Stanley, Luke McAlister, Lachie Munro/Rene Ranger, Stephen Brett, Alby Mathewson, Peter Saili, Luke Braid, Jerome Kaino, Ali Williams, Chris Lowrey, John Afoa, Keven Mealamu (captain), Charlie Faumuina.

Reserves: Tom McCartney, Tevita Mailau, James King/Mat Luamanu, Daniel Braid, Chris Smylie, Munro/Ranger, Winston Stanley/Sherwin Stowers.

Lowrey hasn't been overly impressive this season. Steady but not impressive.

And I'm still being kept awake at night thinking about McAllister and Brett defending together in the back-line.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Cut down QC (Quade Cooper)'s time and space and you start to see cracks in his game. There were a couple of opportunites that weren't well taken in the last match-up - I'd loved to have seen QC (Quade Cooper) and Ranger one-on-one....if only Munroe had passed early.

Kaino and Faumuina will add some starch to the pack that was missing in that game. That's where the game needs to be won for the Blues and from the first minute. A slow start again and we're done.

But.....if you're gonna talk to someone about defence, why the hell would you go to Brett?!?! He might be right but geez....he's the prime example of how NOT to tackle......oh mait a minute, there's always Quade ;)

Rugby: Line speed key to beating Reds - Brett
3:35 PM Tuesday Jun 28, 2011

Speed off the defensive line is the key to shutting down the Queensland Reds' attacking threats in the Super 15 rugby semifinal in Brisbane on Saturday night says Blues playmaker Stephen Brett.

The pairing of first five-eighths Brett and halfback Alby Mathewson will be crucial at Suncorp Stadium as they go head-to-head with Wallabies Quade Cooper and Will Genia.

Brett said allowing Cooper and Genia to guide their teammates to good metres over the advantage line would make the Reds hard to stop.

"If we can stop them, eliminate them, then hopefully it's going to be an even game."

"The key is just line speed, getting up on them, putting a bit of pressure on them, and whenever their forward runners come around, just try to get them back behind the gain line."

The Blues also know they need to make a better start than in their defeat to the Queenslanders at the same venue last month, when they were down 24-0 after just half an hour.

The did manage a comeback to claim two bonus points, but the 37-31 result saw the Reds leap over them to the top of the table.

They began slowly again in their semifinal qualifier against the New South Wales Waratahs in Auckland last Friday night, before grinding out a 26-13 win.

Brett cited missed tackles on both occasions as being costly, and put his hand up for the ones he failed to nail against the Waratahs.

Brett, 25, had playoff experience with the Crusaders before moving to the Auckland prior to the start of the last season.

His last appearance in finals football was at the semifinal stage in 2009, when the Crusaders fell to eventual champions the Bulls in Pretoria.

"Any opportunity to play in a semifinal is pretty exciting," he said.

"I haven't been in one for a wee while now, so it's going to be a good challenge."

The Blues are due to name their side tomorrow, a day before the Reds, who have winger Digby Ioane, centre Anthony Fainga'a and flanker Beau Robinson back from injury.

Ioane, who missed two matches because of concussion, was a standout in the round-robin win over the Blues.

Brett said Ioane's strength and elusiveness made him a difficult opponent to stop.

"He probably benches about 180kg and squats about 240, so he's a pretty powerful and explosive man, and he's got good feet as well," he said.

"But, as I said, if we get good line speed against them, hopefully that will eliminate that."

Meanwhile, Brett revealed that he and Cooper had been trading "a couple of cheeky comments" on Twitter.

"We've been giving a bit of grief to each other,'' he said.

"He's a good player and I enjoy playing against him. I've played against him a few times now and I guess it's just whatever first five steps up to their game."

The Blues leave for Brisbane on Thursday, a day earlier than they did ahead of their loss in May.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Cut down QC (Quade Cooper)'s time and space and you start to see cracks in his game. There were a couple of opportunites that weren't well taken in the last match-up - I'd loved to have seen QC (Quade Cooper) and Ranger one-on-one....if only Munroe had passed early.

Yep, QC (Quade Cooper) does struggle under pressure. ::) :D

[video=youtube;zbyfe6Qv4rw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbyfe6Qv4rw[/video]

D

daz

This quote from Stephen Brett in the above article:

"The key is just line speed, getting up on them, putting a bit of pressure on them, and whenever their forward runners come around, just try to get them back behind the gain line."

I think we saw the Brumbies use that to great advantage (and ultimately a winning advantage) a few weeks ago. Genia and QC (Quade Cooper) in particular were not allowed to create much at all due to the Brumbies rushing up to the line.

It is a good strategy, of course, but I would be flabbergasted if Link allowed the Reds to be caught out in the same way again.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I don't think he struggles under pressure, it's just a chain reaction. Forwards going backwards resulting in Genia struggling to get good ball away combined with the oppositions line speed. I think most fly halfs would struggle in the same situation. The key to beating the reds is dominance at the breakdown leading to quicker defensive line speed.

That said Beau Robinson's inclusion is going to make that harder for the Blues.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think he struggles under pressure, it's just a chain reaction. Forwards going backwards resulting in Genia struggling to get good ball away combined with the oppositions line speed. I think most fly halfs would struggle in the same situation. The key to beating the reds is dominance at the breakdown leading to quicker defensive line speed.

That said Beau Robinson's inclusion is going to make that harder for the Blues.

If unforced errors like kicking it out on the full isn't struggling then what is? If there is a good chance that by putting someone under pressure then they're a lot more likely to make mistake then isn't that by definition 'struggling under pressure'? Stephen Donald knows all about it too....

And Beau played in the first game against the Blues so it's not really anything new for the Blues. However, I'm hoping that the inclusion of Kaino and Faumuina will bring more grunt and a hard edge to the Blues pack - Kaino in particular.

T

TOCC

Meh, let bullrush have it, we will let the the minor premiership do th talking... An let's not forget about the scoreboard this Saturday ;)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Meh, let bullrush have it, we will let the the minor premiership do th talking... An let's not forget about the scoreboard this Saturday ;)

Thank-you :)

Who cares about an unofficial minor premiership?? Can anyone tell me off the top of their heads who the 'minor premiership' winners were the last 5 years?

Exactly.

T

TOCC

Thank-you :)

Who cares about an unofficial minor premiership?? Can anyone tell me off the top of their heads who the 'minor premiership' winners were the last 5 years?

Exactly.

ahh, the point of mentioning that was in rebuttal to your comments about Quade choking under pressure. The Reds have played 3 games of test match intensity this year, in all 3 cases they won. Stormers in South Africa, Crusaders at home and Waratahs at home.

but its pointless digressing into this debate, as i said, let the scoreboard do the talking on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.