• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Semi Final 1: Blues vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Up the tahs

Tonight it seems just as if the blues wanted It more. When the going got tough and some real hard running up the centre and keeping the ball in hand was needed the tabs just kicked it away. When it could of at least been attempted to take on the line. Kurtley had I a relatively strong game when taking it to the line and looked dangerous but slipped into the waratahs of all of "when it doubt kick it it" also the inability of payees at the highest level to hit the man on the chest when passing still amazes me as although it was wet we still insisted on throughing great long passes Which became sloppy momentum was lost and we put ourselves under he pump once again. Dont get me wrong I love the tabs till death but starting to loose interest in he way the sometimes approach the game wig such a negative attitude. And boys what are the thoughts on what has to be done for the tabs to be crowned super rugby champions ?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tonight it seems just as if the blues wanted It more. When the going got tough and some real hard running up the centre and keeping the ball in hand was needed the tabs just kicked it away. When it could of at least been attempted to take on the line. Kurtley had I a relatively strong game when taking it to the line and looked dangerous but slipped into the waratahs of all of "when it doubt kick it it" also the inability of payees at the highest level to hit the man on the chest when passing still amazes me as although it was wet we still insisted on throughing great long passes Which became sloppy momentum was lost and we put ourselves under he pump once again. Dont get me wrong I love the tabs till death but starting to loose interest in he way the sometimes approach the game wig such a negative attitude. And boys what are the thoughts on what has to be done for the tabs to be crowned super rugby champions ?

New coach
New captain
New 5/8
A big name marquee player
New management
New culture within club

If all above is done, then the rest will take care of itself...

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
I thought Beale had a pretty good game. But I too question his choice of shoes in those conditions. Why are backs scared of big hulking studs. Are they worried the weight will slow them down? or is too much grip a bad thing.

A perennial bug bear with me: Australian sides and their boots/ studs in less than optimum conditions. They seem to slip and slide far more than other sides... Why not the longer studs? Especially as there is no longer any rucking!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
When I saw those studs I was dying to make a comment about an girlfriend's nipples. But I couldn't.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I had a thought, maybe Beale had to wear the boots due to sponsorship? Fucks sake, it's not rocket science. Raining? Metal studs. Dry? Cleats.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Very proud of Tahs tonight - very unproud of Waugh - don't talk about disappointment but talk about how well some of the lesser names stepped up tonight and made it slightly competitive (Timani, Douglas, Dennis, Ryan, Holmes etc).

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Just a thought, maybe Beale didn't wear the longer studs as he was carrying that knee injury. If they gripped unexpectedly he was in more danger of straining the knee.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

The Tahs suffered enormously from the loss of both locks. They were soft after that and showed it.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Man oh man Kearns must have been shit if some of you guys wanted to swap to kiwi comm's! Don't worry, you didn't miss much. Fox was his usual educating self which was good, but Tony Johnson is a bit one eyed for mine.

Thoughts on the game. I've gotta give the Tahs a full credit for playing last man standing. Beale is a cracking player with ball in hand isn't he. Tahs biggest problem was they couldn't hold on to the bloody ball! Must have been rather soapy. Although the ref's certainly didn't swing the game to the Blues, I think they got the rub of the green so to speak. Williams, Kaino stepped up & Payne is such a good player - shame he's going to Eire. Was definitely the penultimate match for them this season though - they didn't show anything I thought that would worry the Reds or Stormers.

Not the ideal way for Waugh to bow out - that knee to Munro's back was a bit poor. IF John Drake was still with us, he would have said "he's better than that". And he'd be bang on accurate.

All in all - not a bad match, but not one fitting of a quarter final knockout. Poor crowd, poor skills and the intensity just wasn't there. But I'm not whinging about the result.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Oi and hard luck Tahs, hard season gone and we'll miss Waugh. Bluesers congrats and hope we get you on Newlands.

Thanks man, good luck to your Stormers in the finals.
We'll see you on Newland next year for sure

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hard luck to the Tahs. Bloody amazing they made it this far. Other teams who have had similar injury tolls have imploded in the past.

Only two comments on the Tahs' performance.

First one is that I wish they'd cut down on the chip kicks and grubbers, especially mid-field.

Second is that the Tahs' forward play for the first 20 minutes was one of their hallmarks for this year - very dominant and aggressive. Good to see from an Aus side, but damn hard to maintain with so many third and fourth stringers in your matchday 22. If they can finally leverage this type of dominant forward play, the Tahs will be a stand out side.

Now for the digression about players' boots - if you think Beale's boot choice is/was bad, I suggest you see the boots that Ben Alexander wears. For a stud traditionalist like me, for a prop it's a fucking disgrace.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Now for the digression about players' boots - if you think Beale's boot choice is/was bad, I suggest you see the boots that Ben Alexander wears. For a stud traditionalist like me, for a prop it's a fucking disgrace.

Did you notice the size of the studs that Charlie Faumuina was wearing? Looked about an inch long on the close-up shot!

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If the Waratahs were going to win that match I think they needed to rattle to Blues and certainly go into half time in front. They had some strong periods in the first half and their defence and committtment was pretty good. They were a bit unfortunate with sly Blues knock backs being called as knock ons, hands in the ruck, a couple of penalities (no conspiracy, just the way things are) - none would rate a mention except that a when they were always a long shot (for reasons already discussed), the little things can make a real difference.

Neither team played brilliantly, although a few players did play well.

The Blues certainly did their part by playing well below their potential, but the Waratahs just couldn't take advantage. This Waratahs team could have won if only they did the basics better - dropped ball, crooked throws, areas that need to be solid...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Congrats to the blues, there second half in particular was tactically perfect for the conditions and they stuck to the plan well. Hope they can get some more of there early season mojo and next weeks a Cramer (hopefully reds win though)

Congrats to the tahs and Phil Waugh, in a season that some fans got stuck in to be there come finals time and still trying come minute 80 was testament to the organization. The lack of combination shone through in the end, but testament to the young guys this year, a lot of players have stood up and if the injury gods smile next year the tahs will be a better team from player one to 35

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I never thought we were going to win last night, just too many injuries

What I was happy with some individual performances

Ryan did pretty bloody well at THP, was solid around the field and competitive at scrum time. Not bad for young THP in his first season

Douglas, hit hard, worked hard, one of his best games of the season

Timani, dynamic and athletic - would be the "Aus" player who stepped up this year and show his actual promise IMHO

Dennis, a very accurate backrower does most things well without being outstanding

Carter, best defensive back in the comp. Not just his tackling these days, it is when he backs off, drifts etc etc his decision making is exceptional

Cross, did well to me, but better when he has a go and went straight

Pakalani, has a go, runs hard, tackles hard

Turner, getting more used to him, his limitation and strengths. He is becoming a solid, safe effective rounded footballer

And Sir Kurtley, great player gave it all in a position that to me isn't his best, he will be missed and always welcomed back home - good luck sir

and finally Mr Waugh if any side had 15 units with the competitive fire of this little mongrel, they would be unstoppable.

On the negative, I hate arm tacklers so Holmes & Anesi really frustrate me. Just too soft and concerned about the next play instead doing something special in this play

Mumm, great work rate, does a lot & mobile - but how can someone that big be some ineffective in the collision, he makes breaks through his step ............... not by breaking through the defensive line and getting the go forward a pack needs

Ulugia's throwing meh

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
hazzar for Grumbles he can write about rugby ...............

A fighting display that Brockhoff would have loved
Greg Growden
June 25, 2011

THE Waratahs' Super Rugby season has yet again ended prematurely, but the team has to be applauded for showing their big heart until the last second of their season.

Their venture to Eden Park was always going to be mission improbable, as they left too many big names back in Sydney. But in the elimination final, a depleted Waratahs outfit showed the level of spirit the late David Brockhoff would have been proud of, and they succeeded in flustering the hot favourites right up until the final minutes.

The overflow of blood and sweat didn't produce the required result, but it was still a performance that did not embarrass the Waratahs.

The Waratahs have gone on and on this week about their mountain of injuries, clearly ignoring the fact the Reds, Force and Brumbies also lost an abundance of important players over the season. Nonetheless, it was soon clear the loss of several major names hit them hard. Luke Burgess's cheeky attitude around the scrumbase and tackle area would have made a big difference - especially when replacement Josh Holmes lost the plot near half-time, opting for mindless chip kicks that led to nothing. Drew Mitchell, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Berrick Barnes, Sekope Kepu and Wycliff Palu would also have been very handy.

It wasn't a case of the back-up being vastly inferior. It had more to do with experienced troops being desperately short on the ground at important times in what was such a cut-throat finals match. The Waratahs didn't have enough. And making it more infuriating for them was that this Blues side was beatable. That much was evident during the first half, when the home team's intensity dropped off several times. A team at full strength and on top of their game would have taken full advantage of that.

For the Waratahs, so much depended on a perfect start, and that did not materialise. Kurtley Beale's kick-off went straight into the Blues' in-goal. The first lineout throw from John Ulugia wasn't straight, and the next one was stolen from them by the Blues' jumpers. The moment was lost, and it was clear the Waratahs were flustered.

They gradually regained their composure, and produced some punch. The Waratahs, driven along by the ever-frenetic Beale, were not scared to push it wide, and often found themselves in the Blues' quarter. Too often, however, they failed to finish it off.

It wasn't always their fault - the conditions were dreadful - but they will still rue a handful of early wasted moments, especially when, in the 16th minute, second-rower Sitaleki Timani was about to charge from the back of a driving maul near the opposition line, only for the ball to be cleverly knocked out of his grasp by the ever-sneaky Ali Williams. Match outcomes revolve around such big moments, and the old All Blacks campaigner turned that one right around.

The Waratahs, now finals spectators, will have plenty of time to think about that, and several other crucial missed opportunities.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-have-loved-20110624-1gjit.html#ixzz1QG7JlkXq

Status
Not open for further replies.