• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Selection politics and bias, Gold Squads unfairness etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Hello IS, don't you sleep?

I think the ARU should ask the boys/participants what they think of the program and where they fit into the overall rugby experience. For a large number of boys this will be the first and last experience with the ARU for various reasons. A 14 yo given this opportunity will have a different response than an 18yo who may have been through the program for a couple of years.

I think the content of the program is good however the time frame is too long.

I would guess that the success of the program, and the boys, will ultimately come down to the commitment of the individual (and parents).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There's too much politics and junior rugby these days the coaches son always makes it and obviously the coaches team. The coach and selectors should have no ties with the players or teams they come from and they should base it purely on talent and how certain players play together

I agree entirely, and think that Sydney Juniors policy is that none of their Rep Coaches, managers or selectors, can coach, or manage a team that has a family relation in, nor act as selector for a age group that a family member is trialing for.

Many Village Clubs and District Rep (State Champs Teams) do not have that luxuary, and there are plenty of Coaches and Managers with their kids in the team they coach/manage. In my experience, the majority are reasonably fair, but the minority who are not fair really spoil the whole rugby experience with their favouritism and nepotism.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Junior Gold Programme lists are generally released on the ARU News page.

Typically this is very close to the programme starting, or in the week or two after the programme has started.

National Gold Squad is a little more masonic in nature, and generally not published until well after the programme has started.

They published the Sydney JGP selections last year on the ARU website. The NGS list was never published with participants only known via word of mouth.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hello IS, don't you sleep?

I think the ARU should ask the boys/participants what they think of the program and where they fit into the overall rugby experience. For a large number of boys this will be the first and last experience with the ARU for various reasons. A 14 yo given this opportunity will have a different response than an 18yo who may have been through the program for a couple of years.

I think the content of the program is good however the time frame is too long.

I would guess that the success of the program, and the boys, will ultimately come down to the commitment of the individual (and parents).

I assume the program is designed to prepare kids who are up to it for the next step. Does it do that?
I get the feeling you think that for some kids it is too intense or limits their ability to play other sport and that it should accommodate these issues by listening to the kids?
I know nothing about how it works, I should say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Yes this program does. This year the structure has changed slightly in that all JGS kids will cover the same core skills and also educate these kids about Nutrition fitness Prevention of injury and injury recovery. This is a long term goal orientated program to assist these boys in their rugby as well as a balanced lifestyle. Rather than being comfortable with being a big fish in a little bowl helps them step out of their safety zone getting them ready to be little fish in a much bigger bowl. There are some 1000 kids involved in this program Nationally all under the guidance of the ARU aimed at providing Australia with a strong future in rugby. AS a Mum found the first session very well presented and structured and some vital educational tips for our young boys.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The JGP and The NGS take a much longer term view of the development of the individuals. AFAIK it is not about preparing the boys for selection in the next State Champs team, premiership team, or Schoolboys rep team.

The focus in these programmes is about preparing talented players to reach their full potential, and this may take several years of work in progress. Selection in rep teams, and assisting their club and school teams to win games is a by-product of the JGP/NGS.

As well as nutrition, recovery skills, S&C etc, I would like to see them cover Responsible use of Social Media and Technology, and Public Relations (Media Comment) in the syllabus.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm glad that these programmes are taking a long term view of player development, the proof of which we won't see for at least 5 years.

The only concern that I have with these programmes are that these boys have just finished pretty intense rugby seasons. Most have been involved at school, district rep, schoolboy rep and for some U/15 or U/16 championships. If not physically then certainly mentally, these boys must be in need of a break. I'm sure they'll all front up and because they aspire to be elite rugby players, they won't even think of complaining but surely they need a break from rugby to freshen up mentally. Play a summer sport or hang with their mates without always thinking rugby. The NRL teams are only just coming back for their off-season preparation and they are full time professionals.

I hope that the mental burn out/staleness aspect has been looked at but those running the programmes. They boys and their parents won't complain even if they are worried.

I am glad, however, that the ARU are doing some player development. They also need to do something at the grass roots level to get as many playing as possible at the base of the pyramid and to provide those players with opportunities for skill development. League and Aussie rules in particular lead the way there.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
The JGP and The NGS take a much longer term view of the development of the individuals. AFAIK it is not about preparing the boys for selection in the next State Champs team, premiership team, or Schoolboys rep team.

The focus in these programmes is about preparing talented players to reach their full potential, and this may take several years of work in progress. Selection in rep teams, and assisting their club and school teams to win games is a by-product of the JGP/NGS.

As well as nutrition, recovery skills, S&C etc, I would like to see them cover Responsible use of Social Media and Technology, and Public Relations (Media Comment) in the syllabus.

HJ
The presentation I witnessed these kids see from Aware Education was brilliant. All about Choices, Social Media and the unknown facts of posting on Social Media. This presentation spoke to the boys about their Profile being their "Brand" so be careful of what you advertise your brand to be.
As a parent was very inmpressed with the honesty, legal information and up to date information these kids need to be aware of, implicated in using not just social media but the internet. Making good choices - on the field and more importantly off the field in their development.
One impressed Rugby Mum

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Unfortunately Hugh C and Manu S (two blokes from ARU HPU who are running the programmes) come in for a bit of grief from time to time from some of the Gaggerland citizenry.

Often this criticism seems to be about alleged favouritism and bias towards kids in the JGP/NGS come Open Scholboys selection time. IMHO this criticism seems to be unfounded and subjective.

That being said, there may be some value in better communication about who is in the programme, and also some analysis as to how the graduates have performed at Senior Grade levels. This measure may appease some of the doubters of the programme.

Most of the boys I know from the programme have been very accomplished athletes and very nice young men.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm sure that you are correct in what you say. Anything involving selections where you have people missing out or being selected in graded teams brings the same response whether its the 13As or the Wallabies.

I've had a few dealings with Hugh and Manu over the years and they've always struck me as being totally professional and in it for the right reasons.

Like all of us (me included) who pick a team or a squad for anything there will be differing views. In my experience when you come down to the last few places in any team/squad there's normally very little between the last few selected and the first few who miss out. Obviously at the elite level of these squads, passions are high and sometimes people don't want to accept that either someone is better than their son or that there was not much in it either way and in the opinion of the selectors the other boy did a little bit more or they can see more potential in him. Like everyone in life, selectors sometimes get it wrong and if the boy is good enough, he'll make it anyway.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
The point made before about open, visible selections and communication is very important. Having been in a situation where a child who is expected to make a sqaud missed out, I think its very important that someone takes the time to explain why they missed out and how they can improve. In the above case the child happened to be first reserve but wasnt told. When he was told his mood lifted from absolute devastation to I'll get in.
After working his behind off there was an injury ...guess who got the call up.
Sorry for the long speech but the point I make is that a little "you are being watched" helps alot.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I dont know these guys but I will say that when I have encountered these selection processes from large pools down to 12 or 22 man squads, in rugby and cricket, it is amazing how right they get it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I dont know these guys but I will say that when I have encountered these selection processes from large pools down to 12 or 22 man squads, in rugby and cricket, it is amazing how right they get it.

Unless it is your kid who misses out, and then the Selectors are considered to be relations of Josef Stalin, as blind as Stevie Wonder, as stupid as Mr Bean, and as incompetent as Frank Spencer. :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Unless it is your kid who misses out, and then the Selectors are considered to be relations of Josef Stalin, as blind as Stevie Wonder, as stupid as Mr Bean, and as incompetent as Frank Spencer. :)
Pleased to say the eldest just missed out on one and reckons he didn't deserve to make it.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Good evening.

I have 15yld twins that have just been selected into the JGP and I believe it is a fantastic concept. The duration and intensity of the program is certainly going to test the resolve of many a player, especially with only a short break at Christmas.

As for the selection precess, well I'm happy to know that they were being watched in games prior to their selection unlike in some competitions where you have selectors spending just a short period at one game before moving on to another. I video every game that my sons play in and after hours of watching and editing I have a fair idea of both the skills and weaknesses of the players in their age group. The camera doesn't lie :D and sometimes what you thought you saw during a match turns out to be completely different.

As we progress through the program I will be happy to keep you posted with my thoughts.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Good evening.

I have 15yld twins that have just been selected into the JGP and I believe it is a fantastic concept. The duration and intensity of the program is certainly going to test the resolve of many a player, especially with only a short break at Christmas.

As for the selection precess, well I'm happy to know that they were being watched in games prior to their selection unlike in some competitions where you have selectors spending just a short period at one game before moving on to another. I video every game that my sons play in and after hours of watching and editing I have a fair idea of both the skills and weaknesses of the players in their age group. The camera doesn't lie :D and sometimes what you thought you saw during a match turns out to be completely different.

As we progress through the program I will be happy to keep you posted with my thoughts.

Congratulations to your boys.

Anyone seen a list of the participants selected in the Sydney program squads, yet?

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Good evening.

welcome
Twin fifteen year old thats a sceaming banner, no super hero mask for you eh! given you have identified yourself pretty early its now unlikely you will be saying anything too controversial. stuck with the warm and fuzzy now?.;)
or was that the ruse

Status
Not open for further replies.