• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Selection politics and bias, Gold Squads unfairness etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Funny I heard a laugh at the schools carnival that brought on a flash back to Castle hill risole circa 1984 I think Oak hill was dominating CCC selections in the way they complain about Augustines looking after current selections for ISA (to keep on topic)

If Rugby Mum is the MT I remember she could mix it with the lads without compromising her reputation
it was co-ed then

and time hasnt given her the beating a few of us have recieved

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Funny I heard a laugh at the schools carnival that brought on a flash back to Castle hill risole circa 1984 I think Oak hill was dominating CCC selections in the way they complain about Augustines looking after current selections for ISA (to keep on topic)

If Rugby Mum is the MT I remember she could mix it with the lads without compromising her reputation
it was co-ed then

and time hasnt given her the beating a few of us have recieved

Some great bands at the rissole in those days.:D

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So you are suggesting the ARU make changes to the structure of the GPS? How? They currently have absolutely zero jurisdiction over that area.

The GPS sides should be encouraged to take part in the wider world of rugby. Such as the lot of them participating in the Waratah Shield, f'instance. Surprise, surprise, they might enjoy it. And improve their skills along the way.

The isolated match of the Ellas' Matraville HS team playing Joeys in the late 70s is what should be avoided in the greater rugby panorama, the rarity of the occasion I mean; Joeys had, what, 12 Opens teams against Matraville's one, but Matraville won. Why don't they play against each other more often? We MUST look to expanding rugby rather than letting elitism rule.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
I am so happy to read that a little bit of rant gets us all fired up on a lacklustre Monday night. Two things. It is still a passion of mine to loathe both soccer and aussie rules. Soccer shows us everything that is wrong with sport. Aussie rules just shows us everything that is wrong. Second thing, did you have a good holiday mr shoulder? We all missed you.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Yes but wouldn't you just love to ban diveball and cross country volley ball?

Your mate DingleDangleDongle is just a kid and would fail the Gaggerland 2 year window criteria to be eligible for higher recognition.

To the best of my knowledge, Gristle is in the Premier Mens Division.
The thought of not having to listen to some twit telling me about the beautiful game is so enticing. The last beautiful game I saw was 84 push over try vs Wales @Cardiff Arms park.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Diverting the funds into some development squads where suburban players can receive a rugby education similar to their GPS/CAS cousins would surely improve the standards of play to the point where players may no longer see the need to take a scholarship to improve further selection percentages.

Of what funds do you speak?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am so happy to read that a little bit of rant gets us all fired up on a lacklustre Monday night. Two things. It is still a passion of mine to loathe both soccer and aussie rules. Soccer shows us everything that is wrong with sport. Aussie rules just shows us everything that is wrong. Second thing, did you have a good holiday mr shoulder? We all missed you.
I did: I hasten to add it was self imposed.
I see in my absence that a whole thread has sprung up concerning the nswru board.......

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It is still a passion of mine to loathe both soccer and aussie rules. Soccer shows us everything that is wrong with sport. Aussie rules just shows us everything that is wrong.

Having been born and brought up in southern New South Wales and attended the local primary school before being despatched elsewhere, I played Aussie rules as a little kid (and I'm still a damned good kick!). It wasn't until I started secondary school I discovered rugby, and was promptly hooked. AFL is a credit to us as Australians that it's so successful in one country, it's EXTREMELY well-managed, and highly profitable although it's a very narrow, provincial and insular sport. AFL has donated excellent administrators to soccer (Buckley), cricket (Sutherland) and rugby (Carmichael). AFL can't claim to be a sport for all shapes and sizes, as only rugby can do this. I often point to a short, squat, strong young kid and say, "there are only two spots for you in the sporting panorama: a weightlifting pad or a rugby front row". As evidenced by the push into western Sydney, we all should ignore AFL at our peril.

Soccer? I thought we'd got past cultural cringe in this country, but obviously not. Scoring is too high in AFL (and basketball) while soccer's too low. No wonder the poor spectators have to entertain themselves before rioting.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
From reading Lee Grants posts I would have thought that the CHS lock would have made a team. Was he ripped off or injured?

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Of what funds do you speak?

Perhaps they could serve a cheaper brand of Chardonnay at the ARU lunch meetings or send some of the assistant coat tail holders on permanent holidays. If the ARU is to be believed that they are financially dried up then WTF are they still oing in office? Find another hobby JON, I hear the sailing nice off Sardinia this time of year.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Cut

Soccer? I thought we'd got past cultural cringe in this country, but obviously not. Scoring is too high in AFL (and basketball) while soccer's too low. No wonder the poor spectators have to entertain themselves before rioting.

You say that scoring in soccer is too low, and I agree, but boy do we have a problem in rugby.
If Soccer is about scoring goals, rugby should be about scoring tries, not bloody penalties and drop goals.

In the last 3 World Cup Rugby Finals there have been 2 tries in 2003, 0 in 2007 and 2 in 2011.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
He came on with about 5 mins left in the final match. I was surprised to see him not picked and disappointed for him. Good Player.
100% agree. why did Manukeu not get the time? I think that he did the basics all very well and then some., he was way more committed than a lot of his tight five companions were to getting down and dirty. A few lads could learn a lesson from this quietly spoken young man

Status
Not open for further replies.