• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Scrum Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I have refrained from commenting on this thread for days for fear I might in some way jinx this from happening.

There could be nothing better for the game in my opinion.

I almost gave up watching rugby 3 yrs ago after having to watch the farce unfold at scrum time so often. I don't have a problem with a dominant scrum being rewarded, but the 'hit' meant that the ref never knew what was happening and teams ended up winning tight games on the back of a penalty that could have gone the other way.

I used to record and watch every Australian super rugby game and never missed a wallabies game. I literally gave it up for a while because I was so frustrated with the scrum and silly penalties.

I still find it frustrating to lose on the base of penalties alone that were fifty-fifty, but the problem is not as prevalent in general play.

The scrum was after-all intended to be an avenue to restart play, not what it is has become.

Reactions: Epi

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
After last night, Is it time to resurrect this thread, which has been idle for a while?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Actually didn't think our scrum was that bad, Ireland were better certainly.

I know it's poor form but I have grave misgivings about how Lawrence handled the game, to the point I wondered if he had an agenda going into the game. His policing of offside and rucks had me utterly perplexed.

However we should not have allowed ourselves to be put in the position.

Returning to the point, we should have been able to win with that scrum. If the game is penaltyball then clearly we were screwed in those circumstances. We needed to change the game and build pressure in possession.

So for me, no it's not that our scrum was rubbish, our whole game was.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Watching some of the classic RWC Games on Foxtel has me with my rose coloured glasses on for the Olden Days. Scrums then appeared no fuss affairs with stuff All collapses and Straight feeds from the 9- a genuine contest with little game time lost in posturing and setup.
Has my memory of the old days been similarly edited?

Maybe IRB should wind the clock back

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
There is talk (and it makes a bit of sense) that these fancy new synthetic jumpers make it too hard for many props to get and maintain a good bind.

Comments from any current or recently retired props?

Do we need to see special jumpers for the front rowers so that opponents can get a bind?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
As a prop of 17 seasons senior rugby, both sides of the scrum, now coach, I feel qualified to stick my oar in. One of the things a Loosehead should be doing, in my opinion, is getting their left arm more out stretched then you see currently. This binding onto the shoulder or armpit thing is just asking for trouble. Especially since any good tighthead worth his salt will be trying to twist the loosehead and get him off balance. Thats what happened to your guys most of the time.

I get my boys to try and at least get to the middle of the torso. An outstretched arm also helps lock the head in nice and tight and stable, as well as helping the prop keep his feet.

rugby-scrum.jpg

Look at the way the blue Loosehead is bound. Ideal in my opinion.

I am certain the new jerseys make it a lot harder to grip too. But it hasn't seemed to bother other teams too much. I just got home from watching England V Georgia, and the Georgians were very impressive in the scrum. They seemed to have much better technique.

I have to say I never played at provincial level or higher (my inability to catch, kick, pass or tackle stopped me from wearing the black jersey), but I attended the same coaching sessions as those guys. Here in NZ, the scrum is regarded as extremely important. To counteract a lack of props in country rugby a few years ago, ex All Black Richard Loe helped set up the Front row factory. Training for coaches to improve the skills of young props, and help convert young players into the front row. This is now run in every province. I personally have converted plenty of locks and loosies into props over the years. As an ex front rower you know the little tips and tricks that make a huge difference in how effective a prop is.

Status
Not open for further replies.