• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Scrum Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

XVProps

Herbert Moran (7)
Definitely the distance is an issue. That is what the touch was supposed to solve. I find the weaker scrums look for a larger gap to het a hit on. The temple to temple distance seems to be the way to go.

Reactions: Ash

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
...snip...
The crooked feed is a horrible practice and was prevalent in the other code before the League neutered the scrum. Now the half back is told to put the ball under the last guy's feet. Is that where union is going?

I mentioned that contesting for the ball was part of the fabric of the union game but the contest of hooking for the ball has unravelled from it as the defending hooker rightly assumes he will have no chance to contest for the ball so he will put his utmost into the power hit instead.

If this continues I can foresee that the hooker will eventually become known as the thrower.
.....snip
:

I think the crooked feed issue may be resolved if the laws are changed in the way I currently understand they will.

With the proposed changes, wouldn't the scrum begin when the ball is fed? This would changed the focal point of the scrum from the engagement to the feed, in which case crooked feeds would probably be as common as crooked throws in lineouts.

Lee,

I have always had a beef with cheating runt halfbacks.... Is there any chance of weaving this thread into Scrum Talk?
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/5879-Cheating-Half-Backs?highlight=cheating+runt
Failing that, for keen readers with nothing better to do, there was some previous lively discussion on that thread regarding scrum feeds.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Maybe they need to put scrummaging handles on the props' jerseys?

They'd need to be pretty low profile so they don't become easier to tackle though.

If you want to keep the power hit in the game, maybe props should have old school cotton jumpers that you can actually grab and hold on to.

Didn't David Sole from Scotland in the old days remove the sleeve of his jumper to prevent his opponent from being able to get a bind on his arm?

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hookers aren't hooking anymore.

The Poms just took a "tighthead" by walking over the ball. No hook from either Scot or Pom hooker.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
These overhead cameras are good at showing the second row creeping up and pushing in the Front Row.

Note to Referee Boss Paddy O'B.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
England would have had a player carded, if they were Australia, today. In that first half, their LHP (Stevens) failed to bind properly, folded and bored in almost every time. The THP (Cole) was packing sideways at times too. Joubert got a few, but let them get away with too much. To their credit, they came back in the second half. The overhead views were telling - one scrum had the whole England front row facing 90 degrees to their opponents, and yet he just repacked it. England got by on reputation; we wouldn't have had that luxury.
It was interesting viewing.

XVProps

Herbert Moran (7)
Definitely, Stevens was getting worked in the first half. Should've been carded when Scotland received the scrum penalty on the England line. I would've had another scrum instead of halving the shot at goal.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I know Spider cam is very expensive, but it should be compulsory for TMO to watch that feed live and call to Referee when 2nd rows join front row, do not bind, or release bind early.

TMO should have authority to call scrum offenses live to referee earpiece same as Touchies.

Knowing "eye in the sky" was watching them should introduce a degree of integrity into loose forward play.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know Spider cam is very expensive, but it should be compulsory for TMO to watch that feed live and call to Referee when 2nd rows join front row, do not bind, or release bind early.

TMO should have authority to call scrum offenses live to referee earpiece same as Touchies.

Knowing "eye in the sky" was watching them should introduce a degree of integrity into loose forward play.

you sir, are an optimist

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Stevens is really a THP and a pretty damn good one but LHP Sheridan was a big loss for England when he went home injured.

There are so may foreign props playing in the English Premiership that England are not well stocked with premier LHPs. Stevens, considered a better LHP than Corbisiero, who is nothing special, now has the 1 jersey. He played a lot at LHP after he returned from his drug suspension for Saracens early in the calendar year and did OK, but he was always going to have trouble against a decent international scrum and especially directly against Murray if he hds one of his good days, which he did.

I rate the Pom THP Cole though; he can drive.

Loved that spider camera - you can really see the arses moving sideways illegally, but you could also see the malign effect of the power hit from the normal side-on camera.

Nobody can claim that getting rid of the power hit is going to solve all the scrummaging problems because pro players will be a lot more cynical and will test the referees more than the amateurs ever did from a fairly static engage.

However I think the static engage will make it easier for referees to see the illegalities.

Am I sure? Hell no, I have seen too many law changes and ELVs that looked good, sounded good and smelled good but didn't work good; but I'll tell you one thing: I sure as hell want to find out if abolishing the power hit will reduce the number of collapses and/or increases the number of minutes of rugby that we see in the 80.

Let's give it a go.

S

snowman

stevens couldnt bind because the scotttish loosehead was binding on his shoulder.

Note to people, loosehead props theat are going forward dont collapse scrums.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
With the prevalence of props (in particular) slipping in the wet surfaces in the Land of the Darkness and the prevalence of the pretty coloured "Look at Me" moulded sole boots worn by many nowadays, I have two questions:

1. What is the maximum length stud that a player can legally play with today?
2. Why do the prettyboys persist in wearing their moulded sole boots in wet weather when they know they will slip arse over tit?

In the good old days, on a wet mid winter days, some of the piggies used to screw in their "special" studs, which were about a foot long (slight exageration but I think you get the gist). These served a double purpose: Grip; and "Roll away Black 7".

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Jarse.
Answer to question 1
4 STUDS

(a) Studs of players' boots must conform to British Standard BS6366 1983 or an equivalent standard.

(b) Studs of players' boots must be circular; and securely fastened to the sole of the boot.

(c) Studs of players' boots must have the following dimensions: Not longer than 18 mm, measured from the sole; a minimum diameter of 10 mm at the top of the stud; a minimum diameter of 13 mm at the base of the stud (excluding the washer); and a minimum diameter of 20 mm at the base where the stud integrates with the washer.

(d) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp edges or ridges.

Answer to question 2
Because of their high need for "look at me time".

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Wallabies' new boots for the QF have just been leaked - they're legal, right?

crampons.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.