• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
''Last year I attended a number of GPS rugby matches. The standard of play was extremely high yet what I saw I found most disturbing,'' he wrote to me this week. ''There were boys - and that's what they were - with bodies that one could only say were so developed as to be distorted. I just couldn't believe that the development I was looking at was the result of gym work. This sense was only exacerbated by an overheard conversation on the touchline: of a gym where drugs could be purchased to aid performance....

Officially there's a ban on giving scholarships to sports jocks, but there are schools notorious for flouting it.

Read more:http://www.smh.com.au/comment/hold-your-horses-theres-plenty-more-to-come-20130503-2iybr.html#ixzz2SJLVw6Uu

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I think the article says more about Mike Carlton's relevancy these days as a journalist.

If you have knowledge of illegal drugs it's a matter for communication to the police. An email in anonymity to a journalist reduces it to idle gossip better left to trash mags.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think the article says more about Mike Carlton's relevancy these days as a journalist.

If you have knowledge of illegal drugs it's a matter for communication to the police. An email in anonymity to a journalist reduces it to idle gossip better left to trash mags.
It might flush out some real evidence - a bit like ASADA's announcement

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
"I'm prompted to ask this by a disturbing email from a parent at one of the Great Public Schools. That's the group of Shore, King's, Riverview, St Joseph's, Newington, Scots, Sydney Grammar, Sydney Boys High and The Armidale School. This father fears the drugs are out there"

I wonder what school this dad was from??

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
"I'm prompted to ask this by a disturbing email from a parent at one of the Great Public Schools. That's the group of Shore, King's, Riverview, St Joseph's, Newington, Scots, Sydney Grammar, Sydney Boys High and The Armidale School. This father fears the drugs are out there"

I wonder what school this dad was from??

it took a long time to write to him - when you think about it

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
it took a long time to write to him - when you think about it
Yes the timing is quite exquisite, just on the cusp of the season and when the subject of performance enhancement use in some winter codes is filling vast amounts of newspaper columns. I'm not aware of it happening and it's never been talked about in the circles that I keep. Others??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Fellow Gaggerlanders, Can I suggest that we use extreme prejudice in this discussion on PED and school kids. No names, no accusations.

If there is any thing that you have concrete proof about, then that is best addressed by drawing the appropriate authorities attention to the fact rather than breaking the news here.

If the information you have is not already in the public domain, then best not to mention anything specific.

The Mods have issued specific warnings on the "normal" schoolboy threads. I'd imagine that posters to this thread would do well to follow that advice.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Fellow Gaggerlanders, Can I suggest that we use extreme prejudice in this discussion on PED and school kids. No names, no accusations.

If there is any thing that you have concrete proof about, then that is best addressed by drawing the appropriate authorities attention to the fact rather than breaking the news here.

If the information you have is not already in the public domain, then best not to mention anything specific.

The Mods have issued specific warnings on the "normal" schoolboy threads. I'd imagine that posters to this thread would do well to follow that advice.
Fully agree.
It probably shows that Carlton has lost it if it did not occur to him that it was a little odd that he was receiving complaints in 2013 about observations made in 2012 but I guess it suits his anti-establishment agenda.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Scholarship is a good idea but only if its provided to people in your own region. Once you start cherry picking from other schools in other regions it turns into poaching. So yes but there is a line

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Posted on GPS page
AAGPS Heads MeetingAt the GPS Heads meeting last Thursday,......Tensions among schools have arisen surrounding ‘recruitment and attraction of students with sporting ability’, particularly enrolling in Years 11 & 12. In order to lessen those tensions a ‘New Boys Committee’ was formed to gather data from member schools about their teams in Years 10-12 and the enrolment dates of their players. A paper was prepared as a draft which sets out points limits for each sport, depending on the number of players in the team. Points range from 7 in rugby to 3 in tennis. A team cannot exceed the points limit. A boy enrolling in Year 10 would attract 2 points; in Year 11 3 points. Players arriving after day 1 in Year 11 attract 4 points and no player is eligible to play if he arrives after term 2 of Year 11. Exchange students would not be eligible for GPS Competitions. Heads are considering the proposal and are awaiting an analysis of the data from schools before making a decision on how the proposal might work.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Posted on GPS page
AAGPS Heads MeetingAt the GPS Heads meeting last Thursday,..Tensions among schools have arisen surrounding ‘recruitment and attraction of students with sporting ability’, particularly enrolling in Years 11 & 12. In order to lessen those tensions a ‘New Boys Committee’ was formed to gather data from member schools about their teams in Years 10-12 and the enrolment dates of their players. A paper was prepared as a draft which sets out points limits for each sport, depending on the number of players in the team. Points range from 7 in rugby to 3 in tennis. A team cannot exceed the points limit. A boy enrolling in Year 10 would attract 2 points; in Year 11 3 points. Players arriving after day 1 in Year 11 attract 4 points and no player is eligible to play if he arrives after term 2 of Year 11. Exchange students would not be eligible for GPS Competitions. Heads are considering the proposal and are awaiting an analysis of the data from schools before making a decision on how the proposal might work.

Fine sentiment but will wait to see the real world development

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Exactly - do we really believe the majority of these kids are there for the education. And today's news sadly highlights this.
I've known a number who've gone for the rugby opportunity but found out a lot of things about themselves in their new environment and subsequently aspired to and achieved much greater things educational and career wise than they once expected.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I've known a number who've gone for the rugby opportunity but found out a lot of things about themselves in their new environment and subsequently aspired to and achieved much greater things educational and career wise than they once expected.
Yes ...I'm not sure why once again everyone seems to need to be critical of the schools giving the boys something that they want. Do people really think the schools just push the kids into a rugby team without giving them an education.? Why instead of carrying on like jealous ex's doesn't everyone just let the kids enjoy the opportunity they've been given. CTPE you've hit the nail on the head!! As far as I can see the only protest is "Its not fair,theyve taken our good players away so now we can't dominate the opposition!!" The argument has nothing to do with the boys education ...."sadly highlights this?"...please.... bet the boys aren't sad.