• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: Samoa v USA (Brighton) Pool B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Fat Shiela singing.

SAM 25 (2T - Nanai-Williams, Treviranis, 5P - T.Pisi (4) Stanley (1)) defeat USA 16 (2T - Wyles, Bowman, 2P - MacGinty)

No bonus points to either side.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well-deserved win to Samoa. America not consistent enough, but they have certainly improved since the last RWC.

Alas George Clancy hasn't improved - the man has no feel for the game at all, pedantic whistling when it wasn't needed.

Garces is miles ahead in the refereeing stakes this RWC so far.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Samoa ain't going to trouble South Africa playing like that

I tend to agree. South Africa will be able to match their physicality, but will have more skill. Japan showed the way to beat the Boks, but I don't think Samoa will be able to sustain that pace and that level of skill for 80 minutes.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Commentators mainly Bray whining about the sealing off calls but they were 100% technically correct penalties imo.

They were technically correct but for at least a couple of them Samoa weren't even looking to compete for the ball and it was being recycled quickly. It's just unnecessary to blow a penalty when it doesn't effect the play. You could blow a penalty at half the rucks in every game for something.

I think the 14-7 penalty count is a bit off.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Samoa shouldve rolled the sepps by 40+ on stallion firepower alone.

Too many 50/50's handling fuckups their undoing.

The legacy of the Clancy family name will go down in history as 1 shit novelist and 1 shit ref. What an anal twat performance that was. It's not some sort of arcane law prat symphony starring you, George. Docking your paycheck and DQ'ing you from KO rounds. Get out.

--IRB.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Commentators mainly Bray whining about the sealing off calls but they were 100% technically correct penalties imo.

true, but i think his general complaint was a fair one. the US were penalised 4 times with ball in hand for some pretty innocuous infringements.

in most rugby games there's a fair bit of players going off your feet at the ruck, or these days guys cleaning out defenders from the side of the ruck (dare i say the Japanese were guilty of a bit of that last night) A lot of it is just ignored. the really blatant stuff is penalised. i dont think it would have killed him to let some of those things slide, provided he's consistent. He seemed a bit too eager to blow his whistle. Case and point was the forward pass call that went against Samoa in the second half. The pass looked fine to me, it was actually a nice piece of skill.

funnily enough though, he barely policed the offside line at all in the first half, when the US were regularly offside.

My big criticism is that the ref should be giving the advantage, and the benefit of the doubt, to the attacking team. Clancy was often pulling up the attacking team for board-line infringements while allowing both sides' defensive lines to creep up offside.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They didn't get a chance to compete,the ref was very quick with the whistle.
The yanks are entitled to be a bit grumpy about their treatment by the ref.
He appeared to only referee one team last night.
Samoa were flattered by the scoreboard IMO.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Thought that US 12 was handy. Palamo? Did he play against us the other day? Big hitter with good skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought the Samoa were hard done by on occasions too, particular with the way the US were allowed to creep up offside. A different referee might have made this a more interesting game, but the result would have been the same.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They didn't get a chance to compete,the ref was very quick with the whistle.
The yanks are entitled to be a bit grumpy about their treatment by the ref.
He appeared to only referee one team last night.
Samoa were flattered by the scoreboard IMO.

Clancy is just hopeless - always has been. His incompetence last night came as no surprise.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pool B is shaping to be very exciting!
I can't wait for:
SA V Samoa
Japan V Samoa
and Japan V Scotland.

Should be crackers.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They were technically correct but for at least a couple of them Samoa weren't even looking to compete for the ball and it was being recycled quickly. It's just unnecessary to blow a penalty when it doesn't effect the play. You could blow a penalty at half the rucks in every game for something.

I think the 14-7 penalty count is a bit off.

Agree - "material effect" should be the guiding principle.

I don't by the Samoan not competing argument. They couldn't compete once the seal off happened.

At a couple of them, there wasn't a Samoan player within cooee. They were mostly just fanning out and looking to put big hits on, knowing that 1-2 blokes making a tackle, with 13-14 across the field is better than trying to win a ball with 4 blokes and getting flanked by the fastest player on the park in Ngwenya.

The problem is that Clancy's refereeing was in stark contrast to several others across the weekend. And that is going to be a problem going forward e.g.

Status
Not open for further replies.