• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: NAM v NZL (Olympic Park): Pool C

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I expect the time wasting / slowing the game / lineout huddles etc to be tried by all teams who prefer a slow game - England, South Africa and maybe France.

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
The ABs also had their part, it looked like Cane was sticking to instructions of controlling the game when they could have gone for the quick tap on several occasions. Poite is bloody unbearable though.

In the article referring to the ABs inviting Namibian players for beers after the game, it is mentioned that Australia have never been blessed with that privilege. Jokes about Los Amigos aside, do we know why ? Never been a fan of that self-righteous attitude about them tbh, the "let's see who's deserving enough to claim membership in our gentleman club", the pretension to victorian respectability, all the more suspect that they're raucously boasting about it. I'd rather have a beer with Cheika than Hansen, any day of the week.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No not just standard interchange stuff, a lot of confusion who was going off and on which made the stoppages even longer, don't know why you're defending them QH it was on display for all to see and they wasted time as much as possible.

Again, that's their agenda and well in their rights to try and get away with it. Up to the referee and the opposition captain to put pressure on the ref to stop it. I think that's where Cane showed his inexperience or he didn't seem too fussed by it.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Far better for the game to spread further around the globe by having games between tier 1 and, with the greatest respect to Namibia, tier 3 nations played at a safe and sensible pace for all involved. At the end of the day it is only a game and the last thing the game needs is another Max Brito. If it makes Namibia V NZ, Aus/ Wales/ Eng V Uruguay or Canada V Ireland less of a spectacle then so be it. Thought Namibia made a very fine account of themselves.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
In the article referring to the ABs inviting Namibian players for beers after the game, it is mentioned that Australia have never been blessed with that privilege. Jokes about Los Amigos aside, do we know why ?

The two sides -- for whatever reason(s) -- just don't get on that well.

Never been a fan of that self-righteous attitude about them tbh, the "let's see who's deserving enough to claim membership in our gentleman club", the pretension to victorian respectability, all the more suspect that they're raucously boasting about it. I'd rather have a beer with Cheika than Hansen, any day of the week.

Eh? It's the Namibian's talking about it. Most likely because they're probably quite chuffed to meet the All Blacks off the field.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No not just standard interchange stuff, a lot of confusion who was going off and on which made the stoppages even longer, don't know why you're defending them QH it was on display for all to see and they wasted time as much as possible.

Again, that's their agenda and well in their rights to try and get away with it. Up to the referee and the opposition captain to put pressure on the ref to stop it. I think that's where Cane showed his inexperience or he didn't seem too fussed by it.

I'm not defending it, I'm saying your being harsh putting all the blame on the minnows - in this case Namibia.

Quite stangely the ABs more than played their part in the pace of the game - I'm mean, penalty goals, kicking for touch, rolling mauls against the lowest ranked team in the RWC. The ABs could have set ramming speed from the first minute, but they chose not to, only their coach would know why.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That seems all standard stuff to me, not time wasting like injuries and interchanges.

No one wants closer scorelines more than me but you start modifying how the game should be played or giving the 50/50s to them you're comprising the game and integrity for it.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I'm not defending it, I'm saying your being harsh putting all the blame on the minnows - in this case Namibia.

Quite stangely the ABs more than played their part in the pace of the game - I'm mean, penalty goals, kicking for touch, rolling mauls against the lowest ranked team in the RWC. The ABs could have set ramming speed from the first minute, but they chose not to, only their coach would know why.
Because it saves energy, stops the team getting miles ahead of themselves and gives away little to the analysts. I also suspect it is much safer for everyone involved. I don't know for sure but I strongly suspect that Mike Ross made a decision, in the Ireland V Canada game, after the first couple of scrums, that they weren't going to attack the Canadian scrum because it would have served little purpose and risked someone getting hurt. They held up a rock solid platform for the team to do their thing.

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)

Eh? It's the Namibian's talking about it. Most likely because they're probably quite chuffed to meet the All Blacks off the field.

You're a bit naive. They're neither the first, nor the last team to do it, but when it's NZ we hear about it every single time. It's just the conspicuous exclusion of Aussies from this post-game ritual that bothers me, and how they keep banging on about their special relationship with South Africa as a meeting between true gentlemen of the game. Us frogs and poms enjoy quite a special relationship as well, but I am yet to here a story about how Martin Johnson sang "here's to Fabien, he's true blue" to Pelous.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
That seems all standard stuff to me, not time wasting like injuries and interchanges.

No one wants closer scorelines more than me but you start modifying how the game should be played or giving the 50/50s to them you're comprising the game and integrity for it.
When Jerry Collins, God rest his soul, bumped into the coach of Barnstable and ended up playing for their seconds he tempered his game accordingly. It is what rugby has always been about. NZ could have comfortably stuck 100 points on Namibia last night but it is to their credit that they didn't. They respected the games traditions, IMHO, and that is good to see, even at a RWC. Part of me wonders whether focusing on drills, set piece etc in a glorified training run might stand to them better than running in 20 tries.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
It's just the conspicuous exclusion of Aussies from this post-game ritual that bothers me.

Maybe they should stop turning down the invites. Robbie Deans prevented the Wallabies going for a beer way back in 2010. Maybe the new coaches have carried it on. Whatever the reason, its not the the All Blacks fault the wallabies don't want to be part of a private, post-game ritual. If they don't get asked anymore, there is nothing stopping them from inviting the ABs to theirs.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think the All Blacks went out with the intention of putting up a cricket score. They did the job. Nothing to be gained by slaughtering the Nambians, who were never, ever going to win that game. Good on the lads for not humiliating them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think you show more respect by playing your best personally.. even if that means you smash them. This is the big boys.

We were very respectful to Namibia in 2003. :cool:

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
Maybe they should stop turning down the invites. Robbie Deans prevented the Wallabies going for a beer way back in 2010. Maybe the new coaches have carried it on. Whatever the reason, its not the the All Blacks fault the wallabies don't want to be part of a private, post-game ritual. If they don't get asked anymore, there is nothing stopping them from inviting the ABs to theirs.

Fair enough.

Regarding tier 1 nation smashing a minnow, I reckon Australia might put 80+ on Uruguay, maybe England if they run Care - Ford - Slade - JJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.