• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 France or England? (If we make the semis.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
@barnes rugby club in london for 03. they were very cocky at half time but after the finally whistle, most of them were in tears... pussies.
they were actually pretty good sports about the whole thing.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Was at the final in 2003. England were the better team but I didn't realise somehow that England hadn't scored in the 2nd half and as Flats was preparing to kick the penalty I was taken by surprise that it could be tied up. Then it was.

The drop goal was heart breaking but what folks don't realise was that Watson was going to award a penalty for offside if it had missed.

The real bummer at the end was allowing the break by the Poms to get into the position to do the droppie, though I forget the details of it.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
France under Lievremont are abysmal. They have great talent, but selection policies have neutered any semblance of cohesion, and it's not a happy camp.

England just arent that good. Watch the following on youtube; it's the entire game effectively vs Ireland and Ireland just dominated England so thoroughly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFp6_O1DsEE&feature=related.

Keep in mind that England are going for the Grand Slam here; it was a huge game for them. Johnson had been hammering home all week that Ireland would be a bastard to beat, knowing that the Irish had beaten England 7 of the last 8 times they played since 2003. England were drummed.

On the basis of that game, I'd be much more worried about Ireland (and I'm really not that worried about Ireland)

On paper, we are a far superior team to England, but they still give me the fear - they really do seem to be our bogey team. I'm definitely scarred after living in the UK during the 2003 WC (and the Ashes loss a couple of years later). Yes, it is a great generalisation, but England supporters are terrible, gloating winners. They are now the one team that I really relish beating, and hate hate hate losing to.

I'd been more confident facing France, but it would be far more satisfying to face England and give them a serious beating (and work over their scrum).

I was stuck in the middle of the English crowd (more fool me for buying tickets through Gullivers Travels in England) during the 2003 world cup. Too be honest, I came away with huge respect for the English rugby supporters. They were true gentlemen. Problem is just all the rest of scum who jumped on the bandwagon dispite not knowing the difference between a round ball and an oval one.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Iirc it was a break close to the ruck by the scrum half and it followed a very poor clearance by Rogers. Latham was the best full back in oz at the time and didn't get picked due to a virus he had a few months before the cup. His fitness wasn't quite there at a fitness test carried out about 4 weeks prior to the comp and that was it for him. I always wonder if his better clearances may have made the critical difference in that final.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Has anyone actually considered that England might not top their group. It's a bit of a long-shot but you'd have to have to big balls to write off Argentina, a team that is consistently getting better. We could be looking at the possibility of New Zealand knocking out the Poms before we even get close to playing them, that and the Puma's would be up against France..

I'm assuming the winner of Group A plays second place in group B and vice versa.

Four years ago yes Argentina was a strong team forgotten by any other nations.
Now it is not the same. They are older and have less talent.
The front row is pretty old, Ledesma and Scelzo have been struggling with Clermont this year and don't have the same level as four years ago. Same for Roncero, the Stade Français front row is the shadow of what it used to be and he has been decreasing... Marcos Ayerza should be starting the games but it won't happen. Latins respect too much old glories.
Second row is ok, Pato Albacete is the best second rower in France since four years. Manu Carizza is ok but not a cracker.
The third row is weaker than 2007. Leguizamon and Fernandez Lobbe aren't great Top 14 players anymore.
Since Agustin Pichot retirement, there's no more world class scrum half. Lalanne in nb 2 for the London Irish & Vergallo nb 2 for Toulouse
Fly Half... Felipe Contepomi is getting old... he was on the shadow of Wilko for two years at Toulon playing 12... and Hernandez is injured and won't probably be fit for the WC.
One really great not famous winger is Martin Bustos Moyano which is as well a great kicker... Juan Imhoff and Agustin Gosio were pretty good during the Vodacom Cup.
And then four good players but not crackers at the center and fullback... Santi Fernandez, Martin Rodriguez, Horacio Agulla and Gonzalo Tiesi

But I really believe they are less good than in 2007 where they were almost playing home

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Bring them on whoever they are. Lots of talk about England and Twickers last year. Big hype over how our scrum will be roled and on the day they actually ambushed us by playing our own game against us. Don't forget in 08 and 09, we roled right on into Twickers and spanked their pack. Our current forward stocks are more reflective of these years than last year don't forget. Forget 2007 as the Wallabies are a different beast. Our forward pack will stand up and be counted this RWC.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'll repeat what I said elsewhere: I'm sticking with my selections of two months ago, namely Eng v NZ in final (for the Bronze Trophy), and Aust v SA for "Bill"!!

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Was talking to a couple of mates today, and we all agree that the team most likely to knock the Wallabies out are England. They just know how to play us. So, in that respect I'd rather play them in the QF/SF than anyone else. It's a massive hoodoo- they knocked us out in '03 and '07, currently hold the Cook Cup and just won the 6N. If we can shake that monkey off our backs, like we need to do at Eden Park tonight- then I think that Australia can win 'Bill' back.

Status
Not open for further replies.