• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rupeni Caucau v Jonah Lomah

Caucau or Lomu

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Of the two, Caucau was the more skillful and quicker bloke, but in terms of impact on the game, it has to be Lomu. Most of the great stuff we saw from Rupeni was at club or S14 level, so it's hard to compare.

Loved the clip of Campo too. All the skill and pace of Caucau, but done at the highest level too.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Jonah for sure. The bloke is a champion on and off the field. The way the bloke tried to get back on the field after his illness is a testimant to himself and the game of rugby. A bloke who could flatten so many Poms in one game surly would have to be admired by an Aussie. :D

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The difference for me is that Lomu could have a massive impact on any ground, in any conditions, against any opponent and defensive style in the world. Put each on a fast dry track in broken play and CauCau would eat Jonah for lunch, but it's the consistent brilliance against the best that gets me going.

That is a myth about Caucau. Have a look at the Brumbies V Aukland game (don't remember the year) but it was played in a swimming pool with grass and you would swear it was dry the way Caucau sliced them up. His one handed pick up of the ball at pace and then evade Gregan is a highlight of him that I will never forget. IMO it was that skill which sets him apart from Lomu. If Caucau had displayed the same professionalism as say Campo he would have been rated the greatest winger ever to play.

I also think that half of Lomu's profile can be attributed to the fact that he played in black which gave him a running start towards fame at the international level.

M

Muttonbird

I also think that half of Lomu's profile can be attributed to the fact that he played in black which gave him a running start towards fame at the international level.

I disagree. I think if Lomu was Australian and played for the Wallabies or any of the other top 8 he would have been just as big a legend. Rupeni's off-field indiscipline and the fact he was Fijian and played for Fiji meant he did not and could not show his ability consistantly enough at the top level to topple Jonah. After all it's a different story destroying international defences to running rings around club defences.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Gotta be Jonah followed by Caucau but when it comes to explosive wingers Tuigamala deserves a mention - the most devastating player in the world when the game went pro.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
That is a myth about Caucau. Have a look at the Brumbies V Aukland game (don't remember the year) but it was played in a swimming pool with grass and you would swear it was dry the way Caucau sliced them up. His one handed pick up of the ball at pace and then evade Gregan is a highlight of him that I will never forget. IMO it was that skill which sets him apart from Lomu. If Caucau had displayed the same professionalism as say Campo he would have been rated the greatest winger ever to play.

Like Muttonbird and a few others I disagree with the last paragraph. Other than that, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion - that's why there's a poll going. But you can cite one moment in poor conditions over half a dozen years of dominating all-comers as much as you like, as a forward I'd personally rather see Jonah outside me dodging, weaving, and trampling all over the opposition any day. Not so sure if faced with the Campo v Lomu argument but that's one for another day.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Caucau for sure. I think he is perhaps the biggest freak I have seen on the footy field. In the end I reckon Lomu was our power and size. Caucau had the strength, but he was lightning quick, and that innate ability to find space. He's in my best ever (since 1984) World XV easily and pretty much solely on the basis of the RWC in 03.

Go and watch Lomu at his peak again reg, you simply cannot go past this phenomenon

Kangaroo Sausage

Peter Burge (5)
The thing that people tend to remember about Lomu was his power and size, but to be fair he wasnt the biggest or strongest player to walk onto a rugby field, not even close. But he seemed like it because it was coupled with such amazing pace and agility. If Caucau was quicker in a straight line than Lomu i would be very surprised.

Kangaroo Sausage

Peter Burge (5)
Gotta be Jonah followed by Caucau but when it comes to explosive wingers Tuigamala deserves a mention - the most devastating player in the world when the game went pro.

Tuigamala was out of the game for quite some time when it went pro.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's got to be big Jonah for me.
When comparing athletes for greatness, one of the measures has to be longevity.
Lomu was fearsome for a long period of time at the highest level.
Rupeni was a player that could do incredible things, but he did not do it at the highest level year after year.

Status
Not open for further replies.