• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rugby World Cup 2023

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Because the Argies can't afford to? It's gone on for years from all sides including PI teams taking players from other countries because they have some rough link. It is very unfair to say rugby is a joke without throwing same remark to almost every sport. How many Olympic teams are filled with sportsmen who have moved to countries to make it easier/better to compete for spots?
International test matches aren't the pinnacle of most other sports.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For the record I think a good measure is if the national team reflects the amount of immigration percentages in the country, then that’s fine. If not then the union is clearly running an immigration program. Australia clearly has more percentage of population that’s an immigrant - around 30%, Ireland is around 12% foreign born.

I get what you're saying but don't think it is as simple as that.

Different groups of migrants are more or less likely to play rugby than others. It's not like the non-Australian born players in the Wallabies are at all representative of our overall migration picture.

What I think is a better guide is comparing the national team to teams at other levels. It depends a bit on the area where the team is located but at all levels in rugby in Australia you are going to find a pretty similar mix of Pacific Islander and NZ players playing the game. On that basis I don't think the Wallabies are at all an outlier here.

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
Screenshot_20231015_092019_Instagram.jpg

Bye bye Peter

Agent

Watty Friend (18)
Great tipster I am! I tipped Wales, Ireland, England, and France this weekend and only got one right.
I feel for the Irish - I thought it might have been their year and also thought the Frogs would sneak home over the Saffas.
Guess I’m on the Kiwi bandwagon now or any bar the Poms or the Saffas for that matter!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was interested watching Gallaher cup match on Saturday, Latua who had finished with Samoa the weekend before was on field for Bristol Bears, not a lot of a breather after the cup.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And Welsh/Aussie mate test me this morning and sai for first time in his life he will be cheering for England this week, he pretty disappointed with how Boks used rules to waste time etc this morning!
For him to even thinking of cheering for Poms is almostbeyond belief.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And Welsh/Aussie mate test me this morning and sai for first time in his life he will be cheering for England this week, he pretty disappointed with how Boks used rules to waste time etc this morning!
For him to even thinking of cheering for Poms is almostbeyond belief.
Yeah I'm down to supporting the English after Argentina. If England make the final my wife might actually leave me if i still refuse to support them.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think SA will smash England.
I’m unwilling to completely write Argentina off. They have big games in them against the best teams.
But feels like an nz v sa final which will be awesome but I would’ve loved new blood in the final such as IRe v France but what a weekend of games.

it puts in perspective how bad Australia are versus what we’ve seen this weekend. Yikes!

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I think SA will smash England.
I’m unwilling to completely write Argentina off. They have big games in them against the best teams.
But feels like an nz v sa final which will be awesome but I would’ve loved new blood in the final such as IRe v France but what a weekend of games.

it puts in perspective how bad Australia are versus what we’ve seen this weekend. Yikes!
I back both these takes.

SA are everything England wish they were. I expect Ford to come back in at 10 and be taking any chance at points. Steward back at 15 as well.

Argies love a big game and if they can pump up just right will give it a red hot crack. If they can stay within 10 of NZ into the last 20 mins they have enough experienced guys to make a game of it. I could also see NZ beating them by 25 tbh.

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
Yes, 4 great quarter finals but a big risk now that the 2 semi finals could be blow outs.

I know a lot has been said about the draw already but it really doesn't feel right for France and Ireland to both get eliminated so early, they would both comfortably beat England and Argentina.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It doesn't really matter, just means the order of 'hard' and 'easy' games is flipped. Unless a certain country wants to brag about being Semi-Finalists???