• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 4: Waratahs v Brumbies- Saturday 18 March 7:45pm AEDT, Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
you like what the tahs are doing?
I don't like how they are executing, but their intent usually is fine.

I dislike the kick, maul, walky walky scrum approach to rugby. It bores me to tears

Tonight they chose to do it averagely too often.

We miss Foley real bad, the backs have looked crap all season

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I turned this match off after 30mins, handling and execution was utterly embarrassing... Wallabies fans are in for a long year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I turned this match off after 30mins, handling and execution was utterly embarrassing. Wallabies fans are in for a long year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We went to the game... A soaked wet field with lot of ball lost by players ripping in tackles... some big hits in the first half... Tahs were up for it early but couldn't get enough points in the first half and ran out of energy in the second... The recent SA tour had taken it all... Brumbies line defence was again outstanding... Best thing about the Brumbies lads they just don't give up and ripped the Tahs apart in the end... With smart focussed plays... Powells kick over the top for Speight is a good example...

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
My first live game for the year. Poor performance by the tahs. Needed to have. 12+ have time lead given the possession and wind at backs in first half. Was most disappointed in their defence. They are a young team. 4 of the 7 backs are in their first year or two of super rugby (including 10, 12 and 15), plus Phipps is out of form and 8 has been unsettled. I don't know what the score would have been if we didn't have hooper. Skelton gets the ball flat footed every time, in front of our attacking line. Wtf?

Anyway, well done to the bumbies. They loooked more cohesive and had more class in key positions.

dear foley, get well soon.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Biggest difference was the brumbies set piece in the second. Second biggest was the the tahs poor positioning in defense, so many times grass was found with clearing kicks and the Brums aren't usually great at that.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It's not so long ago that the Tahs second grade side towelled up the Brumbies in a trial at Mudgee. Does that and last night's result simply indicate that not much attention should be paid to trial form, or does it mean that the Tahs have a much better side on the sidelines who, for one reason or another, are not getting a shot by the coaches?

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
ACT have been pretty disappointing this season, but they always grow an extra leg when they play NSW.

I thought ACT spoiled NSW ball at the breakdown quite well, making Phipps's job that much harder. That said, I still though Hooper played very well for NSW

Hard to say whether Foley would have been able to seize the game with his go-forward, given the slippery conditions. Folau didn't look at home at 13, which in part was due to factors mentioned before. I'm not convinced he has the right skill set or body for it. He has a good football brain and it should be used to help Phipps and Foley (when he returns) at 15.

Easy to identify Speight as a standout for ACT, while losing a player like Fardy will be a big blow for the development of younger players. Australian rugby need a guy like him setting the example as a professional loose forward (yes, I saw the YC).

One thing that bothers me is that Australian backs seem to run sideways at the moment. It sounds basic, and there's probably something Gibson, Larkham, and co. know that i don't, but it all looks so easy for a competent sliding defence to defend against. It robs space from the outside backs, and either forces the wing to take an inside ball (and get smashed), or take a rapidly narrowing outside channel (and get smashed into touch). And there's nothing worse to watch than a predictable dead-end attacking play; if I wanted that, I'd have caught the train to Olympic Park for the NRL.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
It's not so long ago that the Tahs second grade side towelled up the Brumbies in a trial at Mudgee. Does that and last night's result simply indicate that not much attention should be paid to trial form, or does it mean that the Tahs have a much better side on the sidelines who, for one reason or another, are not getting a shot by the coaches?

Always be wary of trial form.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This has been a massive issue for the tahs. Hegarty has really struggled to kick accurately or for distance.

If dirty is still out next week, as I suspect he will, I reckon tahs should try Horowitz at 10. Or even deegan.

If Horwitz is thought to be our best option, then it's time to start planning for 2018.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Brums were most likely sandbagging

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
They are a young team. 4 of the 7 backs are in their first year or two of super rugby (including 10, 12 and 15).

Just here to point out hegarty has a few seasons with the rebels and a couple in Japan.
Any news on Dempsey - looked like broken ankle or bad sprain?
8-12 weeks was thrown about by media last night
If Horwitz is thought to be our best option, then it's time to start planning for 2018.
I don't know how much experience teams should have at 3rd string 10, but I hoped for more from our second string

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't know how much experience teams should have at 3rd string 10, but I hoped for more from our second string

The second string looks completely out of his depth. From what I've seen of the 3rd string in club rugby and in his super rugby appearances, I'd question his signing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
. Tahs need to hold the ball, their kicking's been woeful.

This is what I just don't get Lindommer. Here we have professional rugby players, at least some of whom play in positions in which the ability to kick the ball out of hand is a core skill and yet they can't do it to the standard required elite level. It's not just the Waratahs, but it's right through Australian rugby.

It's a bit like the Sydney Symphony Orchestra employing musicians who can play most of the notes, but can't hit a B.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
What about Rohan Saifoloi? Is he still in the picture? I always thought he outplayed Horwitz in the SS games I saw them head to head.

Status
Not open for further replies.