• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 13 : Reds v Drua 18 May (Fiji)

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Expect Mick Byrne to have the Drua targeting Vunivalu's wing on attack. Interested to see what Annan brings in both attack and defence. What is the plan if Creighton goes down? Campbell into 10 and O'Connor off the bench into 15 or play O'Connor at 10?
I don't think anyone would come up with that first plan

JOC (James O'Connor) to 10. easy. obvious

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Expect Mick Byrne to have the Drua targeting Vunivalu's wing on attack. Interested to see what Annan brings in both attack and defence. What is the plan if Creighton goes down? Campbell into 10 and O'Connor off the bench into 15 or play O'Connor at 10?

Annan played 12 against the Drua in round 4 last year, he is a decent distributor, from memory he took a few big hits though.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Based on the team, you get the sense Kiss is okay with dropping this game? I am usually against player rotation in a short comp but Flook is clearly one rib-rattler away from being hospitalised, so he needs a break.

Don't feel great about leaving Faessler out of the team altogether and I feel like Tim Ryan, although young, is really in a purple patch and playing well so why break up that momentum. The young guns in the NRL don't get 'rested' when they're playing well.

Kiss knows better than me though, so hopefully the boys are still competitive.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah unless there's a specific injury concern there's no real reason to 'rest' a player in Super Rugby. Its just not that long. Rotation maybe but leaving Ryan out wouldn't have been my call particularly given Vunivalu is barely a real player.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Vunivalu is playing fine and starting to look like he may know a bit more about what he is doing out there. I'm not going to argue he has been worth the price tag but any back line concerns for this game don't highlight the guy for me.

It'll be interesting to see Tim off the bench. I'm also looking forward to seeing Annan and to watch him more closely at 12. The game 23 is not the strongest we could manage with nil injuries but we don't live in a fantasy world.

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Vunivalu is playing fine and starting to look like he may know a bit more about what he is doing out there. I'm not going to argue he has been worth the price tag but any back line concerns for this game don't highlight the guy for me.

It'll be interesting to see Tim off the bench. I'm also looking forward to seeing Annan and to watch him more closely at 12. The game 23 is not the strongest we could manage with nil injuries but we don't live in a fantasy world.
Vunivalu basically singlehandedly lost you the Blues match...

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting observation Reg. That wasn’t something I’d picked up on. (Not a good omen for the Force game given they always tend to trouble us).

I doubt Les is happy to drop any game but the reality is sometimes the coach has to manage workloads. The other thing I always thought Dan McKellar did well was back his players, put them in pressure situations and build depth. Guys like Ryan, Bryant, Grealy & Lynagh have all shown the benefits of the squad development Kiss has done so hopefully Annan & Aubrey are ready to as well.