• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 12: Waratahs v Brumbies Sat 11th 7.35PM @ ALLIANZ STADIUM

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Team:

1. Loosehead Prop - Hayden Thompson-Stringer (Manly)

2. Hooker - Jay Fonokalafi (Gordon)

3. Tighthead Prop - Harry Johnson-Holmes (Sydney University)

4. Left Lock - Fergus Lee-Warner (Eastern Suburbs)

5. Right Lock - Miles Amatosero (Eastern Suburbs)

6. Left Flanker - Lachlan Swinton (Sydney University)

7. Right Flanker - Charlie Gamble (Eastern Suburbs)

8. Number 8 - Jed Holloway (Southern Districts)

9. Scrumhalf - Jake Gordon © (Sydney University)

10. Flyhalf - Will Harrison (Randwick)

11. Left Wing - Dylan Pietsch (Randwick)

12. Inside Centre - Lalakai Foketi (Manly)

13. Outside Centre - Joey Walton (Gordon)

14. Right Wing - Triston Reilly (Randwick)

15. Fullback - Mark Nawaqanitawase (Eastwood)

16. Reserve - Ben Sugars (Randwick)*

17. Reserve - Lewis Ponini (Eastern Suburbs)

18. Reserve - Pone Fa'amausuli (Melbourne Rebels)**

19. Reserve - Hugh Sinclair (Northern Suburbs)

20. Reserve - Hunter Ward (Manly)

21. Reserve - Jack Grant (Eastern Suburbs)

22. Reserve - Tane Edmed (Eastwood)

23. Reserve - Izaia Perese (Randwick)

*denotes potential Super Rugby Pacific debut
**denotes potential NSW Waratahs debut

Players unavailable for selection:

• David Porecki - Achillies (Season)
    • Thomas Lambert - Knee (Season)
    • Archer Holz - Shoulder (Season)
    • Mesu Kunavula – Knee (Season)
    • Ned Slack-Smith - Concussion (Season)
    • Daniel Botha - Achillies (Season)
    • Mahe Vailanu - Knee (Season)
    • Angus Bell - Toe (Season)
    • Theo Fourie - Foot (Season)
    • Ned Hanigan - Neck (TBC)
    • Tom Ross - Knee (15+)
    • Julian Heaven - Shoulder (Season)
    • Langi Gleeson – Calf (TBC)
    • Max Jorgensen - Hamstring (Season)
    • Teddy Wilson – Concussion Protocols (Rd 13+)

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Players unavailable for selection:

• David Porecki - Achillies (Season)
    • Thomas Lambert - Knee (Season)
    • Archer Holz - Shoulder (Season)
    • Mesu Kunavula – Knee (Season)
    • Ned Slack-Smith - Concussion (Season)
    • Daniel Botha - Achillies (Season)
    • Mahe Vailanu - Knee (Season)
    • Angus Bell - Toe (Season)
    • Theo Fourie - Foot (Season)
    • Ned Hanigan - Neck (TBC)
    • Tom Ross - Knee (15+)
    • Julian Heaven - Shoulder (Season)
    • Langi Gleeson – Calf (TBC)
    • Max Jorgensen - Hamstring (Season)
    • Teddy Wilson – Concussion Protocols (Rd 13+)
11+ season enders would surely have to be a record. Mental

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2024 Super Rugby Pacific – Round 12

Safeguard Global ACT Brumbies v NSW Waratahs

Saturday 11 May, 7:35PM AEST

Allianz Stadium, Moore Park

Starting XV

1. Harry Vella
  2. Connal McInerney
  3. Allan Ala'alatoa (C)
  4. Darcy Swain
  5. Nick Frost
  6. Rob Valetini
  7. Rory Scott
  8. Charlie Cale
  9. Ryan Lonergan
  10. Jack Debreczeni
  11. Ollie Sapsford
  12. Tamati Tua
  13. Len Ikitau
  14. Andy Muirhead
  15. Tom Wright

Finishers

16. Billy Pollard
17. James Slipper
18. Sosefo Kautai
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Luke Reimer
21. Harrison Goddard
22. Declan Meredith
23. Ben O’Donnell

Head Coach

Stephen Larkham

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
That starting Tahs team could go OK, as long as the back row can figure where they're supposed to be. But they'd better rack up a 15 point lead before the reserves come on, there's a gulf in class there, compared to the Ponies' finishers.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
2024 Super Rugby Pacific – Round 12

Safeguard Global ACT Brumbies v NSW Waratahs

Saturday 11 May, 7:35PM AEST

Allianz Stadium, Moore Park

Starting XV

1. Harry Vella
  2. Connal McInerney
  3. Allan Ala'alatoa (C)
  4. Darcy Swain
  5. Nick Frost
  6. Rob Valetini
  7. Rory Scott
  8. Charlie Cale
  9. Ryan Lonergan
  10. Jack Debreczeni
  11. Ollie Sapsford
  12. Tamati Tua
  13. Len Ikitau
  14. Andy Muirhead
  15. Tom Wright

Finishers

16. Billy Pollard
17. James Slipper
18. Sosefo Kautai
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Luke Reimer
21. Harrison Goddard
22. Declan Meredith
23. Ben O’Donnell

Head Coach

Stephen Larkham

Noah has to be a resting, right?

I hope the brumbies get out to a good lead and Meredith can get some good time at 10

Its also good to see BOD back

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some interesting matchups in front of us. Both starting THPs should have the wood on the Loosies at scrum time. What odds the scrums are going to naturally screw anti clockwise? The second row and back row tussles should be pretty even with the Tahs going for more aggression and the Brumbies having height and lineout expertise, though not discounting Jed Holloway in that department. Swinton v Swain will be a meeting of old mates, having partnered in the second row in the Aussie U19s some years ago.

Good opportunity for Harrison to show his wares up against JD in the 10 spot. Have to say JD's defence in the front line is pretty good but shame in a sense that we don't get to see Will H against Noah in the battle for the Wallaby No 10 spot.

Brumbies with a bonus point win will set them up for a good go at the top Two spots on the ladder by the end of the season, but never take a local derby opposition lightly. It just can come back to bite.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Last week the Brumbies starting scrum were pushed around by the Drua - hopefully Pone comes on as first reserve and the clubbies are eased into it.
Happy with the sharing of players here by Aus rugby - makes sense.
Its almost like NSW has its own front row NRC....

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Some interesting matchups in front of us. Both starting THPs should have the wood on the Loosies at scrum time. What odds the scrums are going to naturally screw anti clockwise? The second row and back row tussles should be pretty even with the Tahs going for more aggression and the Brumbies having height and lineout expertise.
I think you are grossly underestimating the class difference in the tight fives. Four Wallabies against one, with the Waratah tight five having one Wallaby cap according to Wikipedia, (I thought it was two). Add in the bench and it's 6:2 with Wallaby caps. Waratah tight five caps 8, Brumbies tight five caps must be close to 200. On paper this is a totally uneven contest.

And suggesting that Debreczeni behind a dominant pack is a fair comparison for Harrison behind the Tah pack is delusional. No 10 behind a dominated pack looks good unless your name is Ella and you've got Walker, Ella and Ella outside you.

I know David killed Goliath with a pebble, sport sometimes results in upsets. But 99% of the time this is a Brumby win with a bonus point. Don't lets kid ourselves. This is the Brumbies firsts playing the Waratah thirds. It won't be pretty.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This is the Brumbies firsts playing the Waratah thirds. It won't be pretty.
Those games were always fun at school, because generally the thirds went out with massive chips on their shoulders and tried to bash the living shit out of the higher ranked teams. Quite often they even won.

No - I don’t think that’ll happen here but hopefully it’ll still be good fun to watch.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I’d hardly describe that Brumbies lineup as their “firsts”…
I was being generous in describing the Waratahs as "thirds". It would probably be more accurate to describe them as fifths with a sprinkling of still-standing firsts.

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
I was being generous in describing the Waratahs as "thirds". It would probably be more accurate to describe them as fifths with a sprinkling of still-standing firsts.
Looking at the injured list I see 5 starters - Porecki, Bell, Hanigan, Gleeson and Jorgensen. So the starting side is depleted but it's not a 3rd xv. Big issues with depth obviously, particularly in the front row. I think the Brumbies should win but there's still a lot of quality in that Tahs side and it could be ugly for Brumbies if they don't front mentally. Glad to see they haven't turned the side over completely.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahs are missing 7 of their best 23 but the biggest issue is we're playing a 5th and 6th or 7th choice hooker and about the 8th choice prop and a guy who turned up a couple of days ago (but is a great addition because otherwise we'd be fielding a guy who turned up a couple of days ago but is nowhere near as good as Pone).

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
I think you are grossly underestimating the class difference in the tight fives. Four Wallabies against one, with the Waratah tight five having one Wallaby cap according to Wikipedia, (I thought it was two). Add in the bench and it's 6:2 with Wallaby caps. Waratah tight five caps 8, Brumbies tight five caps must be close to 200. On paper this is a totally uneven contest.

And suggesting that Debreczeni behind a dominant pack is a fair comparison for Harrison behind the Tah pack is delusional. No 10 behind a dominated pack looks good unless your name is Ella and you've got Walker, Ella and Ella outside you.

I know David killed Goliath with a pebble, sport sometimes results in upsets. But 99% of the time this is a Brumby win with a bonus point. Don't lets kid ourselves. This is the Brumbies firsts playing the Waratah thirds. It won't be pretty.
BR loves to talk down his side’s favourite tag! Brumbies by 20 plus.