• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 10 : Reds v Blues

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Because I am totally heartbroken I want to focus on the positives.

Toomaga-Allen was absolutely fantastic for us around the park tonight. His fitness and size combination is what we've needed since Tupou got injured.

Tim Ryan. Obviously. Can't teach what them legs do. Defended quite well for his party I thought too.

Lynagh gets the team humming even without necessarily setting the world on fire. I do think he has a good read of the game and manages the vibe of the thing well.

Implosion aside, we ultimately had a 23 made up of a lot of reserves and squaddies and we played brilliantly for almost the entire game.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wonderful game.

Reds blew in the last 10 minutes by trying to shut the game down - as has been said too many poor kicks.

Tim Ryan wow - his ability to change direction at pace is incredible. Invest in him not the likes of Vunivalu.

I wasn't too angry at the Blues during the game because they weren't playing too badly Reds were just playing better.

Credit to the Blues for pulling out the win though - kept playing for 80 minutes.

Blues have found a 9 in Funaki - much better 9 than Chrstie.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I have to say, I’ve gone back and watched the match drawing try from the blues because live I thought it was an obstruction.

Not sure what other thoughts are but the 17 who’s essentially a lead runner makes direct contact with Creighton and takes that whole space which the 16 then runs into and scores.

I know this isn’t league but why doesn’t the 17 have to run through the defensive line instead of taking Creighton out? I thought for certain it would be called back.
Just rewatched it. Don't have too much of a problem with it. Creighton bit very hard on the dummy runner and came well in off his line to attempt a tackle on 17.

For me Creighton wasn't "obstructed" from tackling the ball carrier at any stage, to use the league parlance, he initiated the contact on 17, not the other way around

A player must not intentionally prevent an opponent from tackling or attempting to tackle the ball-carrier.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
How talea wasn't yellow carded after knocking the ball on and then playing the ball on the ground in a ruck is ridiculous. The amount of times kiwi sides knock it on and it's called backwards is crazy. Happens multiple times a game.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Ryan! What an amazing debut. He doesn't look as quick as some but a super finisher and can make something happen

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whilst I don't want to burst the bubble on Ryan because he did so well but he did make a number of rookie errors. He seems to switch off after the play. Highlighted by the Blues quick lineout (which actually turned out well for the reds), the quick tap from the dog box kick from Werchon and bombing an early try not going for the line.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Whilst I don't want to burst the bubble on Ryan because he did so well but he did make a number of rookie errors. He seems to switch off after the play. Highlighted by the Blues quick lineout (which actually turned out well for the reds), the quick tap from the dog box kick from Werchon and bombing an early try not going for the line.
Thought Paisami was more at fault for the boxkick counter attack. But it's also somewhat endemic in Aussie rugby - we are regularly caught out by the Kiwi's willingness to play it fast.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Final thought - Wilson my MotM for the Reds. I thought Wilson was hugely instrumental in matching it up front with the Blues. He was in absolutely everything on both sides of the ball and also played the ref really well. The young wing was incredible but the Reds wouldn't have been in touching distance without Wilson's workrate and physicality.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay:
1000244165.jpg

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I can't believe that knock-on at the end. What a pity! Reds were competitive most of the game but they ran out of the gas in the last 15 minutes

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Watching it live it looked like Ryan stood around and didn't make any major effort to get back into position. I'd need to watch it again.
Don't be to harsh on the kid mate. His first start, from here in nZ he looks a keepr, he will make mistakes etc but will tend to iron out some things as he reviews match and coaches point them out. I would be stoked if he was in my team and had a first up like that. He will no doubt find it harder as opposition are more aware of him etc, but all part of learning curve.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't mind that the Reds went for the 3 to make it a 7 point game. With how poor the Blues were kicking, you could still give up a try and you may be still be up by 2.

Only downside is, you're now giving up huge field position to the Blues so you've then invited them to score a try to tie the game up.

Most disappointing thing for me was, Creighton and Jock were our most experienced backs and neither of them guided the team around the park. Feels like we've said that a couple times about both of them.

I'm also really struggling how Doleman comes out of that game without having to go to "Ref School". That ruck management was horrendous and that crooked feed call was ridiculous as the Blues 9 proceeded to do the same thing on the next feed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Creighton as 10=match loser and Werchon box kicks shit form oh yeah let’s give it to them to score FFS.
I dislike box kicks as much as anyone. I don't really see the point of them when they don't give anywhere near a 50% chance of regaining possession. And to put one up in your own 22m is just crazy. Some go out on the full gaining 5 - 10m territory at best while those that stay in just hand over possession in a great attacking position for the opposition.

But in saying that, they are apparently part of the coach's game plan so the poor bugger having to execute them shouldn't be hung out to dry. Any criticism should be leveled at the coaches or the chasers who haven't done their jobs.

Lonergan put up a similar kick to Werchon's against the Canes from which the Canes directly scored a try. The tactic was fraught with danger but the poor effort to put the receiver down was the reason the Canes scored a runaway try. I feel the same could be said of the Werchon kick that led to a Blues' try.