• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rod Macqueen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I read this in Ruck&Maul today:

"Expect dramatic changes at the Melbourne Rebels. While the Danny Cipriani saga goes on and on, there is strong word of serious alterations to the Rebels' coaching structure next season. Our Melbourne snouts tell us that Rod Macqueen is expected to step back and instead focus on a director-of-rugby role. But it is unlikely one of his understudies will take over as head coach. We hear Rebels officials are searching overseas, with England backs coach Brian Smith, who had been connected with the Waratahs, and Bath coach Steve Meehan high on their shopping list."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...e-not-alone-20110602-1fixo.html#ixzz1OAZMDy9k

After coaching the WB's to World Cup victory and the Rebels winning some great games earlier on in the season, I thought Rod was back to his best. However it seems from the above comment that he may have potentially not adapted to the new game and his new team like I had thought... Does anyone know the meaning behind the above?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, it's an article by Grumbles Growden so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Macqueen hasn't really had the cattle to go too far this year.

Some players have done really well, including some of the elder guys.

But I don't think their cause has been helped by having Cipriani at flyhalf, and then having no adequate backup.

You do realise this thread is now going to attract Riptide and one of his "how dare Macqueen try and set a culture for the players" rants.

D

daz

I don't think there is anything in that article that is a surprise.

I have said a few times that for the Rebs to ramp up and be anywhere near competitive in year one, they needed a beacon to attract the moths. Players signed because Rod was the coach. Who wouldn't want to play under a RWC winning coach?

The same with GWS in the AFL. Sheedy is there to get players on board.

IMO McQueen, like Sheedy, will fall back from day to day coaching within the first 2 years.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Macqueen was hired as the director of rugby more than anything in the first place anyway, Harold Mitchell used him to create a starting culture and hire out the other coaching staff, they have excellent coaches in other places, he's done his job.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Well, it's an article by Grumbles Growden so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Macqueen hasn't really had the cattle to go too far this year.

Some players have done really well, including some of the elder guys.

But I don't think their cause has been helped by having Cipriani at flyhalf, and then having no adequate backup.

You do realise this thread is now going to attract Riptide and one of his "how dare Macqueen try and set a culture for the players" rants.

Well, I fear I am going to "disappoint" you. I'm not biting.

R

Red Rooster

It has been mooted for the last two months that Macqueen will exit the Head Coaching job at season end (July)- this is no scoop just as the players frustrations with him are well known - The Cipriani business was Rod's making and then he asked the players to do the disciplining?? Has anyone noticed that Rod has spoken a lot less in the paper in reent weeks and Damien Hill has been often quoted - sign of the times I reckon

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rod Macqueen's gameplan today:

- Kick the ball away every time we get it so we're defending all game

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
During the post match interview with Macqueen he made a statement about Cipriani when question by Kafer about the need for a real 10 to marshal the Rebels limitted attack. He said he would see if Cipriani was available for selection and that he was negotiating with Rebels Officials. My take on the comment made me wonder if Cipriani has made himself unavailable for selection since his suspension from the team.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Rod Macqueen's gameplan today:

- Kick the ball away every time we get it so we're defending all game

Huxley as I have said all year is an extremely limitted player and always has been. His skills reside at 15. He is less of a 10 than Giteau. IMO the Rebels would be better served with Kingi or Cordingly playing 10.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Huxley as I have said all year is an extremely limitted player and always has been. His skills reside at 15. He is less of a 10 than Giteau. IMO the Rebels would be better served with Kingi or Cordingly playing 10.

Kingi please, Cordingley is too slow for 9, let alone 10.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
During the post match interview with Macqueen he made a statement about Cipriani when question by Kafer about the need for a real 10 to marshal the Rebels limitted attack. He said he would see if Cipriani was available for selection and that he was negotiating with Rebels Officials. My take on the comment made me wonder if Cipriani has made himself unavailable for selection since his suspension from the team.
I assumed thatt he was saying that Cips was unavailable, but meant that he was actually ineligible to play until he agreed to the new conditions that the rebels were imposing on him. sounds like a stalemate ATM

T

Travi34

Rod does the overall planning, but leaves the day-to-day running of it all to Hill usually.

MacQueen will do something similar to Malthouse at Collingwood ( I hate using an AFL reference... but.... it fits so well)

Hill will take over at some stage, unless another notable coach comes along...

D

daz

Hill will take over at some stage, unless another notable coach comes along...

No, I think not. Not in the short to medium term anyway. The Rebs are too new, immature and exposed to give the job to a rookie coach, for now.

If/when Rod steps back, it should be another "name" who fills his boots. Nothing against Hill, but this team is not ready for a first timer.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Wayne Smith at the Australian on the same theme - the game against the Force this week will be MacQueen's last as head coach.

FRIDAY'S season-ending Super Rugby match against the Western Force almost certainly will be Rod Macqueen's last as head coach of the Melbourne Rebels, with current assistant Damien Hill set to take over the reins next season.

Macqueen, who coached Australia to the 1999 World Cup, came out of retirement to spend the past two years setting up the Rebels from scratch and then steering the fledgling club through its debut season in the expanded Super Rugby competition.

But it is understood that Macqueen took on the position on the understanding that he would stand aside at the end of this season and the franchise specifically brought in Hill, who took Sydney University to five successive first grade premierships, to study under him this year.

Macqueen is expected to continue in a less formal mentoring role next season.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Was MacQueen even coaching them this year or just watching over Hill?

I would have liked to see him stay on a bit longer, at least to see them establish a winning culture and sort out the squad. And hire a new defensive coach.....

Status
Not open for further replies.