• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You may well be correct that Robbie is not the best coach in the world, but which backline showed magic and structured attack in the tough end of the tournament?

The wallabies in the 3 vs 4 playoff when cooper and barnes were together. That score could easily have been a blow out if Cooper had not been injured.

Of course that also highlights deans sometimes poor selection policy.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have been racking my brain trying to think where I have seen this move before and I think it may well have been a Brumbies and NSW Tahs move under Macqueen. Lee Grant or Bruce Ross can you help with that?

We have reached a quite desperate situation if the forum has to rely on my memory.

Now what was the question again?

J

Jay

The wallabies in the 3 vs 4 playoff when cooper and barnes were together. That score could easily have been a blow out if Cooper had not been injured.

Of course that also highlights deans sometimes poor selection policy.

Without wanting to rub it in, the 3/4 playoff isn't really the tough end of the tournament, timing aside. There's nothing like the same motivation or intensity and the pressure on the players doesn't compare to the knockout rounds.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Without wanting to rub it in, the 3/4 playoff isn't really the tough end of the tournament, timing aside. There's nothing like the same motivation or intensity and the pressure on the players doesn't compare to the knockout rounds.

That's enough.

Fucking tawdry

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

agreed, it ain't as good as the final, but far better than already having flown home

B

Blob

agreed, it ain't as good as the final, but far better than already having flown home

I'll doubtless get banned for saying this but the 3rd-4th playoff is regarded as a joke by almost everyone. That's no reflection on Australia. It is a reflection on the pointlessness of it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah but Jay said
There's nothing like the same motivation or intensity and the pressure on the players doesn't compare to the knockout rounds.

Which is a load of crap. The intensity of the 3rd/4th was at it's best. Just look at the bloodshed the whole game. You could also tell both sides really cared about the the result. There was no lack of motivation.

B

Blob

Yeah but Jay said

Which is a load of crap. The intensity of the 3rd/4th was at it's best. Just look at the bloodshed the whole game. You could also tell both sides really cared about the the result. There was no lack of motivation.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. For my money it was little different from all previous 3rd-4th playoffs except 2007 which had the Argies who were happy to be there.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I agree. Nothing was held back.

On another point. The ARU board better hurry up with their review if they think they may flick the messiah. Peter De Villiers is re applying for his old job so we may miss him if we don't move quick.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I was at the 3rd/4th game in 2003: NZ v France. A soft game; the 2011 version was heaps better. The 1999 game Boks v NZ was quite good too. 1987 was a fizzer when Cody got a red card early in the game against Wales so it was good to beat them 15 v. 15.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
It appears Robbie has been busy. Robbie comes under a fair bit of criticism on this site, but he does quite a lot for grassroots rugby. He currently doing a coaching tour around northern NSW
AUSTRALIAN coach Robbie Deans will be at Stuart Park today to visit the next generation of potential Wallabies.
Deans has been conducting coaching workshops at various schools in the Hastings and will finish his tour tomorrow.

Port Macquarie Pirates president Steve Shields said he was looking forward to seeing the Wallabies mentor lend a helping hand to some of the area’s best junior prospects.

“They’ll get to have the experience of an elite coach showing them the basics,” he said. “He’ll also teach them tactics and things like defensive patterns.”

Shields said it was a great coup by the Mid-North Coast Junior Rugby Union to have Deans touring the region.

Deans started his tour at Coffs Harbour yesterday and will finish at Taree on Thursday and Shields said it was a great shot in the arm for rural rugby.

“Unlike rugby league and AFL we struggle in the bush to get high-profile rugby union identities out to visit us, but having the Australian coach here is probably the biggest name we can get,” he said.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Good on him for doing it I say. And he did do that session at the end of the GAGR club try comp too - anyone have any idea how that went?

U

Utility Back

I'll doubtless get banned for saying this but the 3rd-4th playoff is regarded as a joke by almost everyone. That's no reflection on Australia. It is a reflection on the pointlessness of it.

Good know you speak on behalf of everyone.
How is it any less pointless than your average test match? Rankings are still worth double than a regular test match.
You won't get banned for having your opinion, just know its your opinion, not fact.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It appears Robbie has been busy. Robbie comes under a fair bit of criticism on this site, but he does quite a lot for grassroots rugby. He currently doing a coaching tour around northern NSW

Good on him for doing it I say.

Truth be told even I have on the odd occasion had cause to criticise the Robbster. But this is good stuff and he does possess the common touch. I still remember fairly soon after he took over as Wallabies coach seeing him standing patiently in a queue to buy a pie or sausage sandwich at Concord on Shute Shield Grand Final Day. I didn't notice John O'Neill in the queue or even at the ground for that matter.

I think he's basically a good bloke but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to reproduce his Super coaching success in the international arena.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Truth be told even I have on the odd occasion had cause to criticise the Robbster... I still remember fairly soon after he took over as Wallabies coach seeing him standing patiently in a queue to buy a pie or sausage sandwich at Concord...

There are few better experiences in rugby than standing in a queue for a feed at Concord Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.