• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
aimless kicks. a few games ago Marshall called it that Genia telegraphs when he is going to do a box kick. he takes a big look up way in advance and players have caught on to that so that they know when to apply pressure. the problem is he doesn't change tactic nor does he more subtly look up.

after marshall mentioned that, I started to watch him pre box kick and lo and behold, he does it every time.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Alfred Walker (16)
People keep forgetting that this ABs side is just about the most successful of all time.

We are a bit inconsistent, but we really aren't that bad.

I agree. I don't think anyone else could beat the ab's this year. We pushed them harder than anyone else could. I think they knew we are the team that had the best chance to beat them and they saved their best for us. We aren't that bad, just not as close to them as we thought we were.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
McCaw said as much in his post match speech.

Don't believe all the doom. We have our share of issues but things aren't so bad. Yes its been said and a cliche but this is a better than average squad and could do very well. If i could just get into Robbies head to see what the hell goes on in there i'd be less worried.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I'll throw another name into the ring - Peter De Villiers. If we must have an enemy coaching us, can't we at least get an enemy who is so daft he's funny? Give me loon speak over gibberish any day. At least we'll get a few laughs whilst playing under our potential. Maybe he could get Kearns to be our fat old hooker.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A very Interesting piece:-

Time for Dingo to disappear into the night

Posted by The Man in the stand - Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:48

I ran into David Campese a little while back at a World Cup bash.

I've met the outspoken, cocky Aussie legend on a few occasions.

This time was no different.

I must stress that the chat I had with him this time around took place before his beloved Wallabies had the life squashed out of them at Eden Park by our mighty men in black.

Not surprisingly, the conversation turned to one of Campese's favourite subjects, namely Robbie Deans and his role as an imposter.

"Look at this way," Campese began.

"Imagine you're silly enough to hire an Aussie as an All Blacks coach.

"After nearly four years in the job, he's posted not much over a 50 per cent winning record.

"Amongst that pitiful record, your All Blacks' Aussie coach has overseen some gutless losses to the likes of Scotland, England and Samoa.

"But of most pain to you and the hordes of other All Blacks fans, your Aussie coach has presided over just three wins and eleven losses to your mortal enemy, the Wallabies.

I began to wince.

The mere thought of Campese's words ever becoming reality made me feel sick to the core.

He continued.

"So I'm picking that you can now see why Deans has simply reinforced why plenty of ex-Wallabies like myself knew was a dumb decision all along.

"Deans was on a hiding to nothing. He was always going to have to outperform most Wallaby coaches who came before him to justify his appointment.

"And that included winning a World Cup and not just playing from the outset as certain also-rans."

Campese's eyes narrowed considerably as he finished his rant.

"Mark my words, [John] O'Neill cementing Deans' contract in for another two years before the World Cup began was an insult to every fair dinkum fan like myself.

"At the very least, O'Neill should have waited to see how our Cup fortunes unfolded."

He concluded, "Deans won't see it out. Ewen McKenzie will be there sooner rather than later I can assure you of that."

The sheer passion and logic that the man spoke with rendered me simply nodding in agreement.

It was a revealing, daunting indictment on the coach from Christchurch who I've had tremendous respect for but in his current circumstances, must be feeling the cold winds of a crumbling fan-base blowing.

My take on the matter is this.

As a fan of Deans' coaching abilities after his magnificent record at Super rugby level for the Crusaders, I really thought it only a matter of time before his prowess shone through in terms of the Wallabies' results.

But without doubt, Campese's words served to confirm the only verdict that now must be handed down on Deans' international coaching career to date.

That being mediocre at least.

Because on top of Campese's damning assessment of recent times, it must be added how ineffective a contribution Deans made to our 2003 World Cup campaign as the backs coach.

This included the absurd decision to put an out and out fullback, Leon MacDonald at centre in that loss to the Wallabies in that agonizing semi-final.

I must also point out that Deans doesn't appear to have enhanced the Wallabies' quota of brainpower a great deal given the dumb and dumber approach they took in the weekend by repeatedly kicking the ball back to the All Blacks when they had to score two converted tries to at least draw even.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Do you agree with Campese that Deans' days are numbered as the Wallabies' main man?

I must now say, I do.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/wo.../time-for-dingo-to-disappear-into-the-night/#

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think we did this a couple of years ago, pretty funny and damn well done by Moses.

I think we've changed our mind now though.

[video=youtube;AOmIdzcg16c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOmIdzcg16c&feature=youtu.be[/video]

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Wallabies dressing room on Sunday night was not a pretty sight. As O'Neill put it: ''I've been in some pretty distraught dressing rooms over the years, and Sunday night was as bad as I've ever seen. I can name 10 players who were absolutely inconsolable, and needed comforting. It's probably equal to when I was in football and the Socceroos got beaten by Italy in extra time.'' And his overall view of the Wallabies' World Cup quest: ''We won't be holding up the trophy, so it's not a successful campaign. The [ARU] board said from the outset a pass mark was making the semis. So we got a pass mark, but we didn't get an A plus. We didn't win it, but it's not slit-your-wrists time. The year has still been pretty good. The Tri Nations victory and the Super Rugby victory by the Reds can't be scoffed at.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...riving-seat-20111018-1lysm.html#ixzz1bCROv7Ws

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

The classic moving of the goal posts by JON. Even if the Semi was always the acceptable pass mark, the actual performances cannot be regarded as a pass under any circumstances.

I direct JON to Gagger's blog article. The tide has turned and even JON is distancing himself from Deans now as seen by his other comments.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Another extraordinary revelation = ARU: 'the semis were (secretly) a pass mark'.

The ARU, JO'N and Deans _explicitly_ said from early 2010 and thereafter that 'the real' goal of Deans' whole 4-yr plan was 'winning the world cup'.

The clear inference was that Tests along the way were essentially 'learning event' stepping stones towards that crowning goal. Given all of this, with the RWC almost the raison d'etre for the whole investment, how could a loss in the semis objectively be a 'pass mark'? The fans weren't told in advance that this would be acceptable as 'a pass', they were fed the assumption that we were preparing to and would potentially win the thing. So, I am just fascinated this 'pass mark' business is all coming out now, after a poor campaign.

Re the use of the 3N win as some form of vindication, no other sport would crow over a highly diluted tournament win where the sole two other competitors openly cut back their teams' player calibre to prepare for the WC, and where it was clear that some 3N wins were directly attributable to that fact. And the normal number of games was significantly cut back. This was '3N Lite', at best. It lacks integrity to start claiming this 3N as key milestone. What was good was the away win v SA, and the home win v ABs, they both showed positive Wallaby signs, but signs only not enduring substance as the momentum and quality was (yet again) not to be sustained in the WC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely anyone can see the vast difference between what you would consider a pass (i.e. the bare minimum not to have failed) and the goal you are aiming for.

I also don't see why anyone would think that the ARU board would publically broadcast this information in advance. I highly doubt this sort of thing would even be communicated to the players.

P

pete88

I'm usually a Deans defender, but I think the Ireland loss, bad performance against a South African side that has forgotten how to win against good opposition and then being flattered by a 14 point loss in a RWC semi have switched me. I'd like to see a change. There's no doubt Aussie rugby is in better shape than four years ago, we actually have a bit of depth and a young team that is getting fairly experienced. But the talent that is there is not being used properly, our gameplans are either bad or badly executed, our scrum is outside the top 10 in world rugby and our lineout isn't much better. We go on about how inconsistent the team is, but seriously, maybe we're just punching above our weight given our deficiencies in the basics of forward play.

Pick the right forwards and coach them properly. I don't think Deans has done this well enough.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think in terms of this world cup with the players we had, a pass mark would be making the final without dropping a pool game, and then putting on a good show in the final. A win is a big ask but the final was very do-able.

A pass mark would also include not losing to scotland, wales, samoa, ireland, munster and a whole swag of close 3N games over the last 4 years.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think in terms of this world cup with the players we had, a pass mark would be making the final without dropping a pool game, and then putting on a good show in the final. A win is a big ask but the final was very do-able.

A pass mark would also include not losing to scotland, wales, samoa, ireland, munster and a whole swag of close 3N games over the last 4 years.

It should be a "terminating pass" mark: you're not allowed to do electives for which this subject is a prerequisite.

I would think that for a goal to be serious the players have to be in on it: they're not amateurs or 3 year olds so ex post facto justifications and back slapping would soon lose their respect, one hopes.

Whatever the secret goal was it did not, surely, include this string of totally unacceptable outcomes.

Fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It would look a bit suss if he jumped ship now.

Having now read the column Richo refers to....surely Growden has buggered up the exchange rate:

"Times have changed. If the All Blacks win the final, they will get a $NZ100,000 ($129,111)"

Do $100 Kiwis really get you $129 pacific pesos?

Status
Not open for further replies.