• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Lions, Super Rugby Round 13 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pretty ordinary performance by the reds in a pretty ordinary game...

Still, a win is a win and a bonus point is even better. Genia had a great game,

Not good to see Ben Lucas limping off, but good to see Chris come on with a bang.

Yep, I was pumped for a big game and the 1st 20min It was ordinary, and the Reds fell back into that lull there so bloody good. They really should have pumped the Loyins. (lions)

I think Lucus is fine, and the Most important bonus point.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I thought our general ruck play was excellent. We really have a good forward pack who don't let the opposition off lightly. Not so much counter-rucking but disrupting ball and causing turnovers. I know the Lions statistically turn the ball over more times than any other team but it was still good to see the urgency there to secure breakdowns.

For this reason I think Saia will get the nod to start in some of the big games coming up. Hanson has done nothing wrong and at times this year has played like a Wallaby hooker (or at least the benchwarmer) but Saia was getting amongst it nearly as much as Gill last night. I'll have to watch the replay but from where I was sitting it seemed like those two worked well in tandem and got us some ball.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I hadn't thought it was possible to tackle lower than Saia normally does... but he proved last night there's still some improvements to be made.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Loved the composure of CFS. Young, scores his first try and business as usual.

I am a big fan but does anyone still think Higgers is more important than QC (Quade Cooper)?? He was quiet and most of the team were down from last week. But the way Cooper got his line break, set Harris up, that pass and his organisation of the team is something special. Nothing we didn't know but its possible a few had forgotten. Lets hope he and Genia hang around for say.... the next 8 or so years would be nice.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
As far as the higgers thing goes, I watched Eddie when he came on pretty close. He was bashing blokes left and right and made a few powerful runs.

He does not have the strength yet but will get it. 2013 to be his breakout year.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
We lost a lot of ball from restarts, they seemed to target Higgers there & he spilled a few. Considering it had been one of our strengths so far this season hopefully it's a one off. Have been very impressed by the Reds rolling maul this year both in attacking & defending it, it's a great weapon to have. Gill showed great leg drive in making a few breaks up the middle, who says he doesn't possess a running game?

Was a weird feeling being at a game at Lang Park with barely an opposition supporter to be heard (I don't think I even saw one) Do the Lions have no love, even from fellow Saffa's?

L

Linebacker_41

Pretty much what happened!

Close to first touch.

Chris Lane (former NTS now Ntl Womens 7s coach) has spent a lot of time with FSautia and rated him very highly. Plus after seeing his performance in the Qld A games he was obviously a class above the others even when relying on his raw talent.

To be honest whilst he scored the try I thought he was quite lazy after that. There was a couple of linebreaks that he could have chased hard in attack to get that final pass, and I also thought he got caught out in defence.

But given the lack of senior rugby (only played in a few trials and QLD A games) this year and his hamstring issues it was great to see him get out there.

L

Linebacker_41

And by caught out in defence - I mean positionally. When he made contact he was very good. Far superior to the efforts of Morahan (this week) and Davies (the last month)

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I hadn't thought it was possible to tackle lower than Saia normally does... but he proved last night there's still some improvements to be made.

Yeah agree. There was quite a bit to like last night but Saia stood out for this reason. He really put his body on the line to cut the opposing forwards down at the knees (or lower). It's a move that really needs to operate in tandem with the other tacklers and wouldn't work too well close to the line.

Gill was massive again, and after 2 early penalties, seemed to reign in any illegal tendencies.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Although, its not like everything went his way last night... It wouldn't be a debut without a massive hit to go along with the try

I think that was due to some general sloppy passing by the reds throughout.....so many just didn't hit the mark, behind the tackler, too low, too high etc.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah agree. There was quite a bit to like last night but Saia stood out for this reason. He really put his body on the line to cut the opposing forwards down at the knees (or lower). It's a move that really needs to operate in tandem with the other tacklers and wouldn't work too well close to the line.

Gill was massive again, and after 2 early penalties, seemed to reign in any illegal tendencies.
this is why Robinson looked so good last year. Saia is very underated in my opinion, sure he has faults but he does a lot of work he gets no credit for.

Would he be penalised in the NFL for "chop-blocks"? He goes close to attacking the knees of his opponant

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

Bloody oth, he takes tackling low to a new level. It was always drummed into me around the ankles, Saia is around the boot laces. Maybe TPN should take some note on how to do it properly with getting hurt nearly every game

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bloody oth, he takes tackling low to a new level. It was always drummed into me around the ankles, Saia is around the boot laces. Maybe TPN should take some note on how to do it properly with getting hurt nearly every game

Yeah, although i said he puts his body on the line, he does it in a smart way and looks pretty well protected down there in the foetal position :)

T

tranquility

Saia was huge last night. Watching the twins in defence is as close to a masterclass as you'll get, 25 tackles between them last night, the majority were those low effective chops.

Any more twins coming through the ranks down there? Because we will take them too if you don't want them...

T

TOCC

I thought Shatz was impressive as well, his physicality Is still improving

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Quade looked good but him and the team weren't in sync. No surprise things started to click when they went back to what they have been use to this season. Still should be better for the run.

Sautia looked the goods, got real good leg drive, can't wait to see more of him.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think Link will be happy that the Reds sut up shop in the last 20. They seemed to switch off and cruize home to me.

A very good win though and gald to take the 5 points, but they may well rue letting the Lions rack up those points as the 6th spot may well hinge on points difference.

R

Reds24

Sautia will b something special. cant believe how big he is for an 18 yr old

Status
Not open for further replies.