• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v. Crusaders, May 29th, Suncorp - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Wonderful for QLD, Australian Rugby and SANZAR more generally. The QLD crowds have responded to their team's success, and turned out in fantastic numbers. However, I also think this crowd is a reflection of the high esteem in which the Crusaders are held. If the Reds were playing the Lions this Sunday, I doubt that the crowd would be this big. Rugby supporters want to see the stars playing. Players like McCaw, Carter, SBW, Thorn, Wyatt Crockett, Fruean, Guildford and Owen Franks are stars. And that is why the NZRU's recent re-signing of Carter and McCaw was such a coup for all of SANZAR not just NZ. When SANZAR retains its star players, all three countries benefit.

Not to mention that there is likely to be over 10,000 kiwis there.

D

daz

However, I also think this crowd is a reflection of the high esteem in which the Crusaders are held. If the Reds were playing the Lions this Sunday, I doubt that the crowd would be this big.

My personal take is that there are 2 teams playing, both of whom are a genuine shot at the title. The winner gets more than the points; they get a potential mind-fuck on a fellow finals contender.

I take your point about both teams being chock full of stars, but a Reds/Lions game does not hold anywhere near the significance of this clash. The crowd numbers correspond to that.

C

chriscullen

The corporates should give up any unwanted tickets and sell back to the public, One of my pet hates is going to full house games and seeing spare seats. Every single child in Australia should be sat in front of a tv ( a pub if you don't have foxtel) so they can see Rugby at it's finest this weekend.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
50000 tickets have now been sold

Queenslanders sure know how to get on a bandwagon, don't they? ;)

I hope this game lives up to expectations, The reds have had a 16 day break which should freshen them up but often hinders sides. As a crusaders fan living in brisvegas I just hope these teams finish 1,2 so we can watch them again in the grand final. Does anyone know best place to buy a kids reds jersey? Anywhere at Chermside shops?

You're not going to burn an effigy of Will Genia are you? Some people would see that as bad sportsmanship.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Time to start getting excited for this match. With all the hype and hoopla that has surrounded this fixture, in some ways it is disappointing that it is being played on a Sunday. A Saturday afternoon start would have meant 24 less anxious, nervous hours for me to wait. By Sunday I expect the excitement and tension levels will have built up to the point where the anticipation will be almost unbearable . Regardless, with a crowd of close to 50,000 expected I am sure that the QRU is very pleased with the scheduling of the game.

So much has been talked about the scrum contest. And yes the Crusaders should have an edge at scrum time. But the Crusaders tight forwards will also have to play very well to match the Reds front row in other facets if their team is to be competitive. The Reds front row has been a revelation in general play, and their Crusader counterparts will have to match them in this area if the Red’n’blacks are to compete in general play. The Reds pack have worked tirelessly at the tackle area, and have been adept at both securing counter-ruck turnovers, and recycling their own attacking ball with lightening speed.

I enjoyed Rod Kafer’s analysis on the Reds and Crusaders last night. As Kafer pointed out on last night’s Rugby Club, the Reds tight forwards are being used increasingly used as effective ball-runners close in to the ruck. The Reds will attack repeatedly through forward ball runners on either side of ruck, and because they know exactly which channels their team mates will be aiming for, they are very proficient at recycling ball. And when they are able to secure fast ball, and catch the defense on the back foot or outnumbered numerically, Genia is able to unleash hell through Quade Cooper and his potent backline.

One area of the game where the Reds will hold a clear, and potentially match winning advantage is at half back. Will Genia is arguably the form no.9 in SANZAR, with such a well rounded game. He directs his pack better than any halfback in the competition, has a great kicking game, a timely and accurate passing game, is brilliant defensively and poses a threat individually as a very effective and dangerous ball runner. His leadership and decision making is so important to this relatively inexperienced Reds team. In contrast, Willie Heinz is a gutsy but relatively limited journeyman. The Crusaders 3rd choice halfback (and arguably lucky not to be 4th choice given the quality of Steve Alfeld, who is in the Crusaders wider training squad and will be on the bench come Sunday), he will give 100% to the cause, and has built up a reputation as a combative and ultra-competitive scrumhalf for his Christchurch club Linwood. But he’s clearly not in the same league as Genia. Not even close. This mismatch puts extra pressure on Dan Carter to perform, who himself has only recently returned from injury and is opposing the rampant, in-form Quade Cooper.

Genia is without doubt the best 9 in the world and arguably the best player in the world.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Robbie Deans is excited! Hopeful of the Tahs and Reds both getting up this weekend. That will pay pretty well at the TAB too.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-suncorp-stadium/story-e6frepm6-1226064234421

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans believes Queensland are genuine Super Rugby title contenders this season and expects their summit showdown with his former side the Crusaders on Sunday to be a "ripper".
The ladder-leading Reds are tipped to draw an Australian Super record crowd of more than 40,000 to the Suncorp Stadium clash.

It looms as a classic contest between the seven-time Super champion New Zealand franchise and the rising young Reds combination, who are coming off a bye.

"It's going to be a ripper, we are going to see a lot and I suspect we're going to learn a lot," Deans said today.

"It will be up a notch. Both are genuine title contenders.

"The Crusaders have the history, the Reds are on the climb, they are fresh, they have had time to prepare, to plan and are playing at home.

"I can't wait."
Asked what Queensland had added this year to become title contenders Deans said: "A bit of starch."

"They got close last year, but ultimately dropped off at the business end and that would have been a source of frustration to them.

"You learn from those things. They are a young group and you can see it's not only the playing group, but also the public are excited about it."

Deans expected fifth-placed NSW to produce a big performance against the Sharks in Durban on Sunday morning (AEST).

"I am expecting good things from them this weekend, they've named a good team," Deans said.

"I think they've clearly been in the spotlight and a bit of scrutiny.

"We saw a response in the first half last week (against the Lions). They are aware of their circumstances.

"They came into the year with real ambition and hit the ground running and they are at their point of no return, so I think you'll see a similar response on the weekend."

Deans wasn't overly worried by the presence of the three other Australian Super franchises in the bottom four.

"It's a very competitive competition and you say (those sides are near the) bottom, but there's nothing in it," he said.

He said positives could still be drawn from those struggling teams as some of their international players were maturing and would ultimately benefit from playing in adverse circumstances

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
According to the Queensland Rugby page and numerous player tweets. 52,000 tickets sold. This is massive for a regular season fixture

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't quite know where to put this, but the official Super Rugby facebook page has this poll up:

"Which match up most excites you this weekend Super fans? Let us know!

Quade Cooper v Dan Carter
Tom Carter v Meyer Bosman"

Erm... the first one.

That is an absolute gem.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't quite know where to put this, but the official Super Rugby facebook page has this poll up:

"Which match up most excites you this weekend Super fans? Let us know!

Quade Cooper v Dan Carter
Tom Carter v Meyer Bosman"

Erm... the first one.

:lmao: :lmao: Good find.

R

Richard D. James

Really hope the Reds don't get overawed by all this, with the experience the Saders have they will be much more used to this sort of hype.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Genia is without doubt the best 9 in the world and arguably the best player in the world.

I'd say he definitely is the best half back in the world. Others would argue with me though.

However, best player in the world is a stretch. It almost seems deliberately provocative... :fishing

R

RuckinGoodStats

25 missed tackles in the match. 19 by the Hurricanes 17 by the Force, but the Force missed 9 of those in the last 20 minutes where the Hurricanes but on 17 points.

The last passage of play where the Force where attacking the Hurricanes try line was 3 minutes and 32 seconds long with 17 phases strung together.

Ref Glen Jackson was force to award 12 penalties in the game (6 a piece) which is well below the competition average of 19.5 per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.