• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If having a bit of a sniff was a sackable offence in places like Sydney, the ranks of up and coming young executives would be decimated, so I am told.

There's a big difference between suspecting someone is doing it and catching someone doing it.

I'd suggest that most of those people would be sacked if they were caught.

Even if everyone knows something is common place, it doesn't mean they accept it publicly.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
If Stilesy was allowed to choose his own assistant coaches, then yes, he needs to go. Now if he was allowed to choose his own assistants, but within a budget, then no it is the Board who needs to take responsibility. Based on their CV's below they should be getting paid as interns or graduates.

Shane Arnold = Oz U20s Assistant Coach / Brisbane City Assistant Coach (2015-2016); GPS Brisbane Head Coach (2012-2014); GPS Brisbane Colts Head Coach (2010-2011);

Jason Gilmore = QLD U20s Head Coach (2015-2016); Churchie Head Coach (2013-2014); Toowoomba Grammar Head Coach (2011-2012); QLD A Skills Coach (2010)

Honestly, in terms of CV for assistant coaches there is nothing wrong with these.

Both ahead in of McKay and Taylor when they were appointed.

The problem is the assumption that CV has anything to do with coaching ability.

Coaches getting fast tracked because they work as a DO or are are club legend are amongst the big problems all sporting teams face. This is why you get coaches at the Super Rugby level running teams and it looks no different to a local U15 side.

No matter how many games of third grade I play would I be good enough to play for the Reds, yet if I get a job as a DO position myself as coach of all the rep teams and convince players like Kaylen Ponga to move 1000km away to play for me I'm suddenly good enough to coach them.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Honestly, in terms of CV for assistant coaches there is nothing wrong with these.

Both ahead in of McKay and Taylor when they were appointed.

The problem is the assumption that CV has anything to do with coaching ability.

Coaches getting fast tracked because they work as a DO or are are club legend are amongst the big problems all sporting teams face. This is why you get coaches at the Super Rugby level running teams and it looks no different to a local U15 side.

No matter how many games of third grade I play would I be good enough to play for the Reds, yet if I get a job as a DO position myself as coach of all the rep teams and convince players like Kaylen Ponga to move 1000km away to play for me I'm suddenly good enough to coach them.
I think a bigger problem is not recruiting a coach because he is from another state/club/country even though he is the best coach available.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If having a bit of a sniff was a sackable offence in places like Sydney, the ranks of up and coming young executives would be decimated, so I am told.

It comes down to how much value the person is, be a high performer and you can get away with murder in business or sport

Matthew Johns was well known to not turn up to training if the surf was up, AFL clubs regularly covering up recreational drug use, many a trader has been known to do many a line, in the US Bill O'Reilly was a lecher but ignored while he maxed ratings and sponsors didn't care

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I think a bigger problem is not recruiting a coach because he is from another state/club/country even though he is the best coach available.
Is there any evidence of that happening, as opposed to not being willing/able to pay enough to get those coaches to relocate to Brisbane and work for the Reds?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is there any evidence of that happening, as opposed to not being willing/able to pay enough to get those coaches to relocate to Brisbane and work for the Reds?

I thought we did a world wide search, hard to believe there was no better candidate than Stiles.

Wasn't Blackadder available, I would have thought he would be a better candidate.

On a national level after Deans I am pretty sure the opinion was that we should prefer an Aussie coach.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I thought we did a world wide search, hard to believe there was no better candidate than Stiles.

Wasn't Blackadder available, I would have thought he would be a better candidate.

On a national level after Deans I am pretty sure the opinion was that we should prefer an Aussie coach.

Story was a Reds employee that has some experience with Blackadder didn't think much of him. Might have swayed the decision. It made a few people feel better about the worldwide search.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

World wide search isn't going to turn up much if you're not paying much.

He probably was a better candidate but Blackadder's a case in point.

He was probably negotiating with Bath the whole time he was linked with the Reds - and now getting paid a whole lot more pounds than Ballymore was offering

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
World wide search isn't going to turn up much if you're not paying much.

He probably was a better candidate but Blackadder's a case in point.

He was probably negotiating with Bath the whole time he was linked with the Reds - and now getting paid a whole lot more pounds than Ballymore was offering

Out of interest, how can you say or infer so confidently 'the Reds weren't paying much'?

What were they offering in remuneration for 2017 Reds HC? I'd like to know.

Next question: given the absolute criticality of the 2017 HC appointment for the Reds, if the QRU was smart and strategically focussed, wouldn't it pay a highly attractive salary (if needed) for that final appointment?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wonder if the Reds really practice tackling. Not just defensive structure, of which they have little, but tackling.

I remember stories from the Broncos glory years of hell raw tackling sessions in sand. Stories I heard was that the punishment used to be getting to tackle Shane Webcke over and over in sand, apparently he loved just flattening people in tackling sessions.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I dunno if you blokes should be too disappointed on missing out on Blackadder - look at how the Crusaders are going now without him.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)

Last year I attended a Force members forum and Mark Sinderberry said that the ARU wanted to follow the NZ example and have all-Aussie HCs plus assist coaches (to create a coaching career path in Aus).
I'm guessing Dave Wessels must have taken out citizenship (not sure on that) and the new Force assistant coaches were Aussies brought back from Europe. It was no surprise that Stiles was given HC at the Reds. I'm sure that when the Brumbies select a new coach the ARU will pressure them to give the job to an Aussie. Same will probably happen at the Tahs when Gibson's gig winds up.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Last year I attended a Force members forum and Mark Sinderberry said that the ARU wanted to follow the NZ example and have all-Aussie HCs plus assist coaches (to create a coaching career path in Aus).

If this is the basis upon which Australia are trying to emulate the NZ coaching pathways system, we are well and truly fucked.

What an absolutely perverted viewpoint - as if the nationality of the coaches has anything to do with it and as if the system itself doesn't have everything to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.