• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He should have rolled over Beale last night but appeared to slow and stand straight for the hit.

consensus in our house was he would have got the corner with Beale around his ankles.
I worry about the Reds for the sake of the game in Australia.
Poor recruitment (I dont know what was available, of course - why was Adam Thompson let go?)+ poor coaching = pontentially very long season

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
Simmons last night not only proved his inability to put sentences together post match, but was also evident during the game with the only one looking to be trying to rev the team up being Kerevi and K Hunt. I wonder what past reds players would of thought seeing single players being pushed around by multiple Tahs players with not a red in site for back up. Jnr def has to start next week, Beale wouldn't of got within 5m of him on that break. F'sautia shouldn't show his face in public, not only blowing the try but by being smashed by Beale (along with the list of other bad options).

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Poor recruitment (I dont know what was available, of course - why was Adam Thompson let go?)
Was only on a one year contract. The official line is that they were trying to sign a marquee inside back to replace QC (Quade Cooper) so couldn't keep AT (only one foreign marquee signing per team). He signed with the Rebels pretty much straight after last season - right in the middle of the "coaching review"

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Just ridiculous that a Captain doesn't have the sense to take stock and see that Ta'avao was substituted for headknock and broken nose (ie genuine injury) and Robinson was sent from the field to the head & blood bin with obvious blood that was still leaking after treatment (ie genuine injury) and didn't come back on the field before the 10 minute blood bin expired. So two props removed from play genuinely (and Robinson after about 10 minutes of play). Another prop rightly sent to the bin and Simmons says we'll have a scrum. How is that the Tahs problem? Sounds like Simmons is getting ready to move to England and play for scrums and penalties. Why not go for a try with your dominant lineout? Ah that's right, inability to break the ad line regardless of how many phases you run even if against 14, (hang on that sounds like Wales).
Pretty tough to blame the captain for that. Especially one in his first game. He's not watching the TV and seeing these things.

Coaching staff and runners should be on top of it and surely they are the ones that need to be telling the skipper these things.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Large numbers of Japanese fans at SFS last night, and Goromaru T shirts.

Great excitement from them whenever Goromaru touched the ball.

Has to bode well for bums on seats for Reds home games at Lang Park.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought the uncontested scrum thing smelt off, but Simmons should never had given the tahs the option to use the "we're all injured" thing anyway.

We consistently lost ground when we had the ball, and if we did make any breaks the ball was very quickly turned over and returned with interest. the longer we held the ball, the closer it looked to us losing the ball.

Anyone that thinks there is any advantage to keeping RG on a minute longer is just wrong.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought the uncontested scrum thing smelt off, but Simmons should never had given the tahs the option to use the "we're all injured" thing anyway.

We consistently lost ground when we had the ball, and if we did make any breaks the ball was very quickly turned over and returned with interest. the longer we held the ball, the closer it looked to us losing the ball.

Anyone that thinks there is any advantage to keeping RG on a minute longer is just wrong.
As tough as it sounds, the Reds need to realise that last night is how the season is going to pan out. 3 games in and we are nowhere near a win. The boys have skills, power and heart and it crushes me to see them so outplayed.

The Reds can make a decision now and try and salvage something or make a decision in a few weeks and try and salvage something. Either way based on the 3 games I have seen this year, moving Woody on is the only play the reds really have.

Reactions: gel

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As tough as it sounds, the Reds need to realise that last night is how the season is going to pan out. 3 games in and we are nowhere near a win. The boys have skills, power and heart and it crushes me to see them so outplayed.
This is the disappointing thing for me. I am not saying this years squad is a top 4 side - but maybe they could be in the next year or two if their development is handled well. I can live with them losing their share, but I want to see improvement and a structure which at least gives them a chance to be successful.

The current set up is giving them no chance.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Like most people I had thoughts while watching that it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I know we have a new whiz bang defense coach this year but we missed 21 tackles while only making 70.

We don't have a new whiz bang defence coach - we have an attack coach (apparently - wasn't really evident in the play was it) in O'Connor, but Graham is responsible for defence.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

Scrums went uncontested at ~77 min with Reds down by 20. I doubt three min of contested scrums was gonna make much difference. Also both the uncontested scrums I saw were from penalty options and on the first one ref told Simmons he could change his call. Just dumb captaincy IMO, should backed his lineout (himself, primarily, to drive it over.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty tough to blame the captain for that. Especially one in his first game. He's not watching the TV and seeing these things.

Coaching staff and runners should be on top of it and surely they are the ones that need to be telling the skipper these things.

No he's looking at the Tah as they pack down and should be thinking goodie Tilse is on, Fatcat is gone and hasn't come back on. Yes the runner should be pointing it out to them but he should also be paying attention to what is happening.

@Gel why did the uncontested scrums "smell funny"? 10-15 minutes before the scrum penalties on the Tahs line Fatcat went off to the blood/head bin on the second attempt to patch up the bleeder. He didn't come back in the blood window of 10 minutes (IIRC that is the required time frame) or was ruled concussed. Ta'avao was replaced for broken nose and failed concussion test I thought was the call and Tilse came on to replace him as Ryan had previously been replaced by Fatcat. When Fatcat went Ryan came back on, so one would have to think as a Captain, "hey didn't Ryan get subbed, he's back so the other two must be broken. No more props, but lets waste a penalty opportunity and have uncontested scrums which will allow a backrow which has caused us grief all night to have a flying start at us by not having to push in a scrum."

I don't see how the uncontested scrums "smells", I don't see anything untoward, or if there is Gibson is unbelievably good at setting up the situation, so good I wouldn't think the Tahs would have gone to sleep after scoring three tries.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Large numbers of Japanese fans at SFS last night, and Goromaru T shirts.

Great excitement from them whenever Goromaru touched the ball.

Has to bode well for bums on seats for Reds home games at Lang Park.
And he wiped them like a dirty ass and made no effort to engage post match

Probably had to go and brush up on his French

Douche move

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I felt the yellow should have been used on the NSW front row much earlier, but it's a tough call to make, and could have resulted in uncontested scrums much earlier on.

And to add to the chorus, I fail to see what NSW had to gain from an uncontested scrum so late in the game. Just call it a moral victory for Stiles in an otherwise disappointing showing.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No he's looking at the Tah as they pack down and should be thinking goodie Tilse is on, Fatcat is gone and hasn't come back on. Yes the runner should be pointing it out to them but he should also be paying attention to what is happening.

@Gel why did the uncontested scrums "smell funny"? 10-15 minutes before the scrum penalties on the Tahs line Fatcat went off to the blood/head bin on the second attempt to patch up the bleeder. He didn't come back in the blood window of 10 minutes (IIRC that is the required time frame) or was ruled concussed. Ta'avao was replaced for broken nose and failed concussion test I thought was the call and Tilse came on to replace him as Ryan had previously been replaced by Fatcat. When Fatcat went Ryan came back on, so one would have to think as a Captain, "hey didn't Ryan get subbed, he's back so the other two must be broken. No more props, but lets waste a penalty opportunity and have uncontested scrums which will allow a backrow which has caused us grief all night to have a flying start at us by not having to push in a scrum."

I don't see how the uncontested scrums "smells", I don't see anything untoward, or if there is Gibson is unbelievably good at setting up the situation, so good I wouldn't think the Tahs would have gone to sleep after scoring three tries.

From an impartial onlooker's viewpoint - the Wallabies went to a RWC with two hookers only on the assumption a prop (Sc ott Sio) could fill in at Hooker if one went down. Is it too much to ask a hooker (either TPN or Latu) to pack down at prop when the others were unavailable. I seem to remember Latu playing prop exclusively in the NRC and some times in Shute Shield last year.

On the game itself. Reds are simply inept. Little or no ability to build an attack that will threaten a defensive line, and after 1st phase no defensive structure or inclination to realign in a defensive pattern. If they don't improve substantially, they will see the wrong side of 50 points too many times this season.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I must say I thought the Reds did better than expected last night. I think they were unlucky with some calls but that comes from urgency and the Tah's were more urgent than the Reds. I didn't see footage of Hooper putting the ball down and it looked to me like a Reds player was in the way but the ref was in the best spot so will give them that. The second try was obviously from a Tah's knock on.

The scrum was really good and I liked the work of a few players. Hunt gave a performance that I have been expecting for a while. Nabuli showed a glimpse of what he could do. Frisby lifted his game in the second half and pulled the team with him. Tui seems like he can have and impact as well. Holmes has set the platform for THP's in the country and was impressive especially when we were down a player.

Agree on Holmes. The lone bright spot

Disagree on Tui - lack of awareness saw him miss he rotation across from the ruck to the close off the inside channel that led to the inside ball to Hooper and the Tah's try ( the young 12 on debut )

Lack of awareness , smarts and athleticism saw him get outgunned by Phipps despite a 3m headstart

No impact on the ball carry or on anything defensively

Just mediocre with some glaring lapses as described above

Frisby sucks . Holds on too long and drifts with a lot of lateral movement before he picks up a runner . This and McIntyre's sideways movement and not squaring to the line are going to torpedo Samu Kerevi's season

And ensure we have less chances of impacting the game line with some front foot ball

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Like most people I had thoughts while watching that it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I thought the Tahs were very poor and basically like an average schoolboy side didn't turn up in the second half knowing the game was already over.

The most damning aspect of that game was the statistics. We dominated the game. We had 60%+ possession and territory, we won the penalty count, we put together more 7+ phases but we still lost by 20 points.

I know we have a new whiz bang defense coach this year but we missed 21 tackles while only making 70.

The biggest positive about last night is we don't play the Brumbies until round 15. Hopefully, they lose for or pick up a bunch of injuries before then because it would have been scary would they would have done to us. They put 50 on the 'Canes who only missed 12 tackles, while only having 52% possession.

That's all cool but we will continue to turn it over and fail to convert in the strike zone until we clean Coaching House and revisit our shape and structures ( which are appallingly bad - and were last season too )

That and trying to find a 10 who can challenge and square to the line ( and a 9 who doesn't have hands of Teflon who adds to our already ordinary capacity to recycle quick ball )

Status
Not open for further replies.