• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Yes..there are whispers down in Brumbie land that he is off to Reds!

Hmm Fotu is in the mould of what the Reds need, a big bullocking number 8, but he is at the end of his career as well, 31yrs old by the time he arrives at Ballymore.. Maybe they are hoping he will have the Radike Samo longevity

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Does anyone seriously think that a big, ball carrying back rower will make a difference to this Reds team?

Look at most of the games they played this year. No clear game plan, crazy conservative tactics that are almost Jake-ball lite, awful technique at ruck time, no attack pattern, poor defensive systems the players don't seem to believe in.

Yes, a big, ball playing back rower will fix all this.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Not in isolation @Ash. But the lack of one has certainly been one of the most apparent features of our play all season. So in that respect, it's a bloody good start.

We need to improve in almost all facets of what we do. I guess for most, seeing an improvement in one facet means we may be heading in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone seriously think that a big, ball carrying back rower will make a difference to this Reds team?

Look at most of the games they played this year. No clear game plan, crazy conservative tactics that are almost Jake-ball lite, awful technique at ruck time, no attack pattern, poor defensive systems the players don't seem to believe in.

Yes, a big, ball playing back rower will fix all this.

In itself ? No. But part of a bigger structure of change I believe it's critical. Throw him together with JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt & that American lock plus hopefully a THP from somewhere and things are looking up.

A full S&C program, lacking this year, is also critical.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In itself ? No. But part of a bigger structure of change I believe it's critical. Throw him together with JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt & that American lock plus hopefully a THP from somewhere and things are looking up.

My wife even picked up on the S&C issue last night. She barely watches the games but we got talking about the injured list and she asked why so many? I said mostly just unlucky I guess. She replied, a couple is unlucky, that many injuries means something's being missed.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

Bringing some fresh talent in will no doubt help but look at this;

2008 - 323
2009 - 380
2010 - 308
2011 - 309
2012 - 347
2013 - 296
2014 - 459

The figures on the right are points conceded. It's astonishing that last year was our best defensive record in a long time and then the following year was our worst by a considerable margin. We still have one more round to play against the competition leaders, at this rate we'll be lucky to keep points conceeded to under 500!

I'd really like to hear Carmichael's take on how this is acceptable or what excuse Graham has for this dramatic slip.....

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
It seems Albert Anae is off to Italy at the end of this super season

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Bringing some fresh talent in will no doubt help but look at this;

2008 - 323
2009 - 380
2010 - 308
2011 - 309
2012 - 347
2013 - 296
2014 - 459

The figures on the right are points conceded. It's astonishing that last year was our best defensive record in a long time and then the following year was our worst by a considerable margin. We still have one more round to play against the competition leaders, at this rate we'll be lucky to keep points conceeded to under 500!

I'd really like to hear Carmichael's take on how this is acceptable or what excuse Graham has for this dramatic slip...

Thanks Ignoto

Would be good to convert that into points conceded per game though as there's still 1 game to go this season and it's not clear if previous years have included finals etc

Anyone got the data on hand to do that?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Thanks Ignoto

Would be good to convert that into points conceded per game though as there's still 1 game to go this season and it's not clear if previous years have included finals etc

Anyone got the data on hand to do that?

Sorry should have specified, but those figures are based on normal rounds (figures I took from the overall standings) so finals haven't been included.

I took them straight from the Super rugby wiki page on each year, Reg expanded it them even more!

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
2007 : 33.7pts per round and is the only year that is worse (I think). 30+ is the historical territory of the Lions, Cheetahs and Rebels.

Our average "against" for all super rugby is 24.22.

2005 - 2009 really have a big impact on those figures as well. The rest of the years are generally closer to the better teams (around 22 pts against or so).

Remarkably, our attack this year is better than our average and our last two years. Our overall average is again reduced by 2005-2009.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think comparing scoring averages is fair, some years we don't play certain sides, if these sides are poor teams then we only get to play good teams so our defence will look worse.

I don't need scoring stats to realise that this years performance is down.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What is, Dean Benton / Ian King up to ?

I don't think we need to change the guy in charge if he was only handed the reigns half way through preseason. They just need to review what was done and work out ways to improve things in 2015. S&C is something that needs to be planned out and followed from the get go to have an impact. Changing who was running the program during the peak period for making gains is going to have an impact.

T

TOCC

I don't think we need to change the guy in charge if he was only handed the reigns half way through preseason. They just need to review what was done and work out ways to improve things in 2015. S&C is something that needs to be planned out and followed from the get go to have an impact. Changing who was running the program during the peak period for making gains is going to have an impact.

Well he still took over in October, it's not as thought it was in early January.. Not ideal preparation but still sufficient time to make an impact. Worse yet their fitness levels seem to have declined as the seasons progressed..

Status
Not open for further replies.