• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Force or Rebels would definitely be interested in someone like Harris

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
And why would they want him?

Why would you not want one of the better performed Wallabies of the last few years?

I do agree with your other points about the players available and positions to look at but it would be short sighted not to consider a player like JOC (James O'Connor). If you want him on the wing play him there and CFS at 13. You have been giving wraps to Toua at every chance but he has continually disappointed when he has had an opportunity and Davies is ok but not exactly solid. There is depth but if Ioane and A Fainga'a are not in the backline next year i think it will struggle. YMMV.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
My comment was not around his quality as a player. It was more around how much he would cost and the return on investment.
As for the other options they are not up to the standard of Digby and not as good a JOC (James O'Connor) but I'd like them to develop. I think both Toua and Davies will need to cement a spot in the 22 or they'll be shown the door.
Also I don't think the Reds can afford to loose Ant. He is a vital cog in the backline and has be under appreciated by many, including me.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The Force could definitely use his goal kicking skills. He would probably have to be a 15 for us though as Godwin has a lock on 12.

I wouldnt mind Harris at 12/ godwin fullback

I would suggest this would have to be Kevin Davis and Dave McDulling's last year on the reds books. Definite Zero return there

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think the biggest problem for the Reds management is not about losing Digby but the way the saga has transpired.

To have a TP deal worth 6 figures and have it reneged on by the Reds is poor form. It says that the Reds, when discussing any future TP deals with players will not be believed in that the deal will be honoured. Sounds like a rock solid, enforceable contract will now be sought for these deals.

Everyone knows that rugby is a business, but it should be a business where the back room negotiations between honourable men are honoured by both player and franchise. Digby re-signed with the Reds at a difficult time that the Reds were then experiencing.

Am sure many players would have sided with Ioane - just hope that performances on the field don't relect some of the obvious ill-will at Ballymore.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The whole concept of a third party deal is that it is between the player and a third part, not the franchise. The franchise can introduce the player and the third party but its not up to them to sign off on the deal. If the third party isn't paying then the player should take them to court. I feel that Digby and his manager may be in trouble as if their was an actual problem I'd take it to court and the fact they haven't speaks volumes to me.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
So I hear this bloke O'Connor is off contract and the reds now have some cap space.

Worth a look in?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Would technically be a homecoming for Rabbit! You know Quade would be on board. Shit, I'm game for it. Say what you want about brand O'Connor but that kid can fucking play.

T

TOCC

Get SBW on a foreign marquee contract, they are outside of salary cap rules and he could fill the Ioane position

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
A few weeks ago there was this rumour that Digby Ioane would play for Stade Français next year... I thought it was rubbish but it seems it could finally happen!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
So I hear this bloke O'Connor is off contract and the reds now have some cap space.

Worth a look in?

I'd put a lot of money on that being the end of the Rednaissance. You guys aren't going to turn from being a top 6 team just from losing Ioane. Do what you did to make it back to the top in the first place. You guys are busting that the seams with young, talented outside backs. Why waste money on O'Connor when he could be just as harmful for the Reds as he could be beneficial.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I agree with Forcefield to an extent. Better to save some money and develop some young guys on the rise. The money saved can be used to upgrade contracts with guys like Gill or help keep Ant in red.
No doubting JOC (James O'Connor) is a great player but he will come with a hefty pay cheque.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't see digger heading over to France for to long. Its all about his family as he is the soul supporter of them all. If Anything I can see him back home in Melbourne.

Reds 2014 will be a interesting year with the new coach, but they have been building for the day ewin leaves.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah Biggsy, Melbourne was my first thought too. If my memory serves me well, one of his main reasons for leaving the Force was he was too far away from his family so I can't see him staying in France for too long.

I really hope he stays but will wish him well in whatever he chooses to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.