• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If it actually is in his contract that he if he chooses not to exercise his third year option, he can't play for another Australian Super Rugby side, I won't be surprised if the ARU tries to intervene.

The ARU won't want Digby to go overseas purely because the Reds won't let him play for another Super Rugby side in Australia. If that happens, get ready for the QRU/ARU relationship to hit an all time low.
IF Ioane wants to re-sign with the ARU (hard to know as some reports suggest he wants that extra overseas money) then they may seek to intervene. I think the ARU would want to keep him, although not at any cost.

He would seem to be gone from the Reds either way, and they'd also know that there's not much point in trying to play a guy who doesn't want to play. However, the Reds still have the leverage if there is a legally binding contract. They'll want quid pro quo.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Some may think I am paranoid, but I find it strange that the ARU is reported to have supported Ioane on a basic level with this contractual dispute with the QRU. With the allegations regarding board opposition to Link being made Wallabies coach, the fiasco surrounding Quade's resigning until 11th hour again alleged threats of a revolt by the QRU. Am I the only one who thinks it passing strange that the ARU seems to find little in the way of solidarity with the QRU on any issue of note?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Some may think I am paranoid, but I find it strange that the ARU is reported to have supported Ioane on a basic level with this contractual dispute with the QRU.
With Ioane, I see it as a good cop/bad cop thing. The ARU being the good cop keeping the door ajar for Digby to stay in Australia, which is probably what we all want to see. But I dunno if that changes the QRU's hold over the contract. I reckon they'll get something out of it to let Ioane go.

Seems to be a similar thing with Link, who wants to keep Digby in the team for this season, and leave the Reds contracting battles to the management that are there next season.

As for the ARU v QRU, who knows. The supposed Link veto seems odd but I think it was a Growden story. Even if true, the link (heheh) to the QRU is incidental. Are board members suddenly going to reverse their views when Link leaves the Reds?

Might be a bit more disquiet behind the Cooper signing but it seems like a deal was struck to keep Quade at the Reds and get Izzy for the Tahs in exchange for the governance restructure.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
QRU claim they have head office backing.....

ARU backs Reds in Ioane stoush
Jim Tucker, Courier-Mail: April 25, 2013
THE Australian Rugby Union has confirmed the Reds' right to block Digby Ioane from switching to another Super Rugby side next season to keep his bumper $800,000-a-year deal.​
The bitter stand-off between the Queensland Rugby Union and their Wallaby winger yesterday showed no sign of easing as legal papers were being drawn up. QRU chief executive Jim Carmichael said Ioane's manager Anthony Picone should expect a legal letter seeking clarification on whether the winger had already been shopped around to other teams.
"We have prima facie concerns that Digby's manager has breached his role because the contract we have is very specific about not being able to do that," Carmichael said.

Carmichael is aggrieved with Ioane's poor off-field behaviour. This includes disparaging Twitter comments about the Regatta Hotel, a new team sponsor, after he was refused entry to a restaurant last weekend when wearing a singlet.

Carmichael also said the code's contract system was being manipulated. "Disputes between players, managers and organisations happen in every sport. We all get 'hard negotiating' but you still have to respect the system," Carmichael said.

Ioane wants out at the Reds because he feels the QRU have been unable to generate a third-party deal despite the organisation informing him every effort had drawn a blank. The issue gets messy because Ioane has a year to run on his three-year Reds deal.

There is brinksmanship at work too. His only exit strategy is to knock back a 2014 option on his ARU arrangement and head to Europe or Japan. He has until May 31 to tell the ruling body he is off.

Hope of extra money from the ARU is a non-issue if he can't play anywhere else in Australia.
"On a number of occasions, the ARU has confirmed we are not in breach of any parts of our contract and acknowledged our right to enforce it," Carmichael said. "The ARU would like to work with the parties for an amicable solution (in Australia) but, at this point, there is not any possibility from the QRU's perspective that Digby will be playing for another club in this country next year."​
Carmichael said he did not consider his stand mean-spirited. "I've got to live with my decisions. At some point, we all have to work towards the integrity of contracts," Carmichael said.​
Even though the level of feeling in both camps looks to have taken this dispute beyond a peace deal, Carmichael still offered what looked like an olive branch for Ioane.​
"This is not a football matter. He is rated very highly by the coaches," Carmichael said. "Even though it appears Digby has no intention to talk to us, from what I have been reading in the press, I would still try to talk to him face-to-face and go through the issues."​
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-in-ioane-stoush/story-fnbzn566-1226628982462

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
You have to wonder about how much the Khoder Nasser negotiating tactics and strategies have inspired other player's managers to indulge in similar grandstanding.

I have some sympathy for Big Jim here, but it does seem that aspects of previous "compromises" are coming home to roost.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Personally, I think it time to cut the cord and let Digby go, we had a real performance over his last contract, where he claimed to be getting mega millions to go to Japan, if he not happy (which seems to be case) let him go. And if his contract says he MUST play for Reds if in Aussie, I agree with Carmichael, Reds have to enforce it and make him go elsewhere, if not don't bother having contracts.

If George Smith plays against Lions, it will open the door for Digby to go to Japan and come back to play for Wallabies anyway, just write in contract to release him for tests (don't really mean it, but once you open a can.....)

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't think Digby is angling to go to Japan. Carmichael's issue is Digby's manager talking to other Aussie franchises. In the Rebels thread an insider at the Rebels commented a few weeks ago that several Reds players had third party payment issues and were looking to leave. I suspect Digby has been talking to the Rebels and that's what Carmichael is aggrieved about. He has to take a tough stance incase there are others contemplating something similar.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Digby is not a big loss but will be missed, only if Luke morahan new of this a few weeks back he would not be heading to Force.
It sounds like the Digby issue has been brewing for a while, so they may have been able to plan for Morahan if they wanted to. I am sad to see Morahan go, but am glad he should get to prove himself week in week out at the force.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Personally, I think it time to cut the cord and let Digby go, we had a real performance over his last contract, where he claimed to be getting mega millions to go to Japan, if he not happy (which seems to be case) let him go. And if his contract says he MUST play for Reds if in Aussie, I agree with Carmichael, Reds have to enforce it and make him go elsewhere, if not don't bother having contracts.

If George Smith plays against Lions, it will open the door for Digby to go to Japan and come back to play for Wallabies anyway, just write in contract to release him for tests (don't really mean it, but once you open a can...)

One difference with Smith is that Suntory AGREED to release him to the Brumbies. If, as now seems the case, Smith signed with them as a retired player they would need to agree to him playing for the Wallabies as well.

With Ioane, there is no point in trying to play a guy who doesn't want to play. But the Reds don't have to play him. They may let him go, but I doubt it will be scot free. This is a test for Digby's manager. If the player wants out to stay in Australia then he needs to agree a deal. Otherwise Au Revoir. Sayonara.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Interesting observations from Justin Marshall & Jeff Wilson.

Top team - Reds
Most influential S15 player - Willie G

Clicky Clicky

No way are the Reds the top team in 2013. Outmuscled by the Force again tonight.

The 2 draws basically equal a loss as far as points go & our attack hasn't really gotten going all season.

Need to pull off some big results over the next 3 matches now. Any losses will make it tough to play finals.

Would expect to see a bigger pack start against the Sharks.

Anyone know how Samo went for GPS today? Could do with him back out there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Reds lack another hard ball runner to support Horwill. If there's no space to operate in, their lighter, on-the-ball pack can win ball all day but can't gain line it. Then the backs can't do anything, without freakish bounce of the ball.

Their support play also seems to have fallen off a little...

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Is it just me or has the reds backline looked listless in the last few weeks. Their set move plays have involved Taps getting the ball and crashing mostly, with the once a game inside pass from Ant/Ships to Ioane. Is Graham the backs coach? I am pretty worried with their lack of direction at the moment. They seem very predictable and have lost some confidence in linking with each other.
As a side, I'm disappointed to see Jono Lance go. Rate him as someone who fits our backline well and can play numerous postions. Good for him though, and I hope he gets plenty of run-on time in NSW.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hard to really comment on the backline in a game like that.

When the referee is happy to allow anything and everything to occur in the rucks, then backlines are not going to fire.

The Brumbies game really knocked them around I reckon, which made them look very flat against the Blues.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Is it just me or has the reds backline looked listless in the last few weeks. Their set move plays have involved Taps getting the ball and crashing mostly, with the once a game inside pass from Ant/Ships to Ioane. Is Graham the backs coach? I am pretty worried with their lack of direction at the moment. They seem very predictable and have lost some confidence in linking with each other.
As a side, I'm disappointed to see Jono Lance go. Rate him as someone who fits our backline well and can play numerous postions. Good for him though, and I hope he gets plenty of run-on time in NSW.
Graham looks after the defence. Jim McKay is the backs coach.
I must agree that they don't offer much at the moment. Taps looks like he is playing his way out of a gold jersey for the Lions series. It's been a real disappointment that they haven't been able to put away any teams with a big win.
3 games against South African opposition, 2 of them over there, and a final round against a resurgent Tah's team are making the finals look harder to reach. This draw will come back to haunt this team.

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)
A member of Digby Ioane's family has also signed for Stade Français. Maybe Monty Ioane or do you think to another player ?

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Jets - Thanks. I wasn't sure on the coaching structure.

Gel - My comment stems from the lack of diversity in play from the set piece, when we have reasonably clean ball. Also when the backline gets the ball when we have forward momentum, it was passing out wide (with the wing occasionally coming in due to running out of room). I'm not sure what's happening, but we' re becoming predictable and simple in the backs. As for the reffing, I was swearing at the screen during the rolling mauls, you could see the force slowing the ruck but getting out of the way at the last second - we had enough opportunities to win. The Force played well (and the ref). We have to be smarter. I was shocked we didn't take some of the penalties close to the posts being only 5 behind.

They'll need to find something for next week, and I'm not sure whether we'll have Horwill either.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wheatman - Ah I see. yeah there has definitely been a shift in how they play, I had also made similar comments earlier this year as well.

There is an article in the roar which talks about pretty much what you are saying as well:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/05/05/the-jekyll-and-hyde-reds/

Looking back over the previous seasons up to round 12:

Year/Played/Wins/Losses/Byes/PtsFor/PtsAgst/TriesFor/Tries/Agst

2010/11/7/4/0/307/228/34/27
2011/11/9/2/1/318/208/34/22
2012/11/6/5/1/229/269/23/28
2013/7/2/2/214/200/21/14

It is interesting that whilst the reds are still classed as this some kind of entertaining team - they score an horrifically low number of tries these last two years. However, the number of tries scored against them this year is unbelievably low. A shift towards defence now? Will we be the new stormers?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Is this "tactical realignment" related to the handover from Link to Graham with the latter starting to influence things more and more, in preparation to 2014 with no Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.