• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I don't know Genia on a personal level so won't speculate too much about his persona and am glad it looks like he's returned to the Reds. But all this chopping and changing doesn't bode well for his character development and from my knowledge of the Brisbane Club scene he has sent similar ripples through in previous years. I believe he's been associated (I won't say played for because he's not there on a regular basis) GPS, Wests and Norths since making his Reds debut. His loyalties seem to change quite often. I know signing a professional contract and playing club rugby are worlds apart but I do find it all very interesting.

Moving forward for the Reds I hope he will remain loyal and convince QC (Quade Cooper) to stick around now.
And recently Sunshine Coast. I'm with you on the view on the outside about his persona. I've heard from numerous people that he tends to be the alpha dog of the team, and often tears into the younger players at training and during games (anyone remember him giving Liam Gill a gobful for misreading and switch move?).

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ignoto - from my memory Genia left GPS due to the fact he returned to the club after his first season with the Reds and was put behind their established halfback who had been with the side all year for the semi final. He then went to Wests (but probably wouldn't have had anything to do with them apart from adding his name to a list) for one season before moving on to Norths. I may be wrong but regardless, as tigerland mentioned he was even linked to Sunny Coast this year which only adds to my persona speculation...

T

TOCC

Ah what crap..

I dont see why people pace such emphasis on things like club rugby for professional players when the reality is that players like Genia will only ever play half a dozen games there over the next few years.

The Fainga'a brothers, Tapuai and probably a few others have swapped which club they play for in recent years.

It doesn't help when some 'clubs' are throwing ridiculous money at some of the Reds players just to play maybe 2 or 3 games.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I beg to differ.

Its not so much about how many games they play for the club but what they offer in terms of club support and morale.

Last week down at GPS there were quite a few members of the juniors community who stuck around after their training just to see Radike and Saia practice lineouts for a good half an hour with the prems boys. Its those experiences which enrichen a club and give the younger members something to aspire to. After all, club and school rugby is the breeding ground for our game and those young blokes are the next generation. Making them feel like their club is an important part of the game is something very important and builds that sense of community. Then seeing those Reds players run out in the club colours on that odd occassion really makes the whole experience complete.

I don't think there is anything wrong with professional players swapping clubs, its up to them and most have valid reasons (yes sometimes it does involve incentives) but my point was that Genia seems to be rotating through more frequently than others which just compounded my views I have gathered about him over the past 48 hrs.

T

TOCC

I beg to differ.

Its not so much about how many games they play for the club but what they offer in terms of club support and morale.

Last week down at GPS there were quite a few members of the juniors community who stuck around after their training just to see Radike and Saia practice lineouts for a good half an hour with the prems boys. Its those experiences which enrichen a club and give the younger members something to aspire to. After all, club and school rugby is the breeding ground for our game and those young blokes are the next generation. Making them feel like their club is an important part of the game is something very important and builds that sense of community. Then seeing those Reds players run out in the club colours on that odd occassion really makes the whole experience complete.

I don't think there is anything wrong with professional players swapping clubs, its up to them and most have valid reasons (yes sometimes it does involve incentives) but my point was that Genia seems to be rotating through more frequently than others which just compounded my views I have gathered about him over the past 48 hrs.

The irony of your post is that Saia was one of those players who swapped clubs because he was offered a bigger pay packet at GPS..

So the 'morale' of the story is, as long as there is a relatively even distribuition of Reds players amongst club rugby, and they are willing to greet and meet the fans then all is well.. It really doesnt change a thing.

Its easy to form an opinion based on the media circus over the past 48hours, im not about to jump up and down, i have worked in the same company for the past 7 years and have at times thought i was definetly going to quit, at times loved my job etc etc.. Genia was only doing the same, he would be an idiot for not strongly considering a contract which represented 30% more then his next best offer.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Its easy to form an opinion based on the media circus over the past 48hours, im not about to jump up and down, i have worked in the same company for the past 7 years and have at times thought i was definetly going to quit, at times loved my job etc etc.. Genia was only doing the same, he would be an idiot for not strongly considering a contract which represented 30% more then his next best offer.

My original point was that I HAVEN'T just formed my opinion of Genia's character over the last 48hrs, what happened in that time just made me question what type of bloke he is even more. I was aware of his club hopping from previous years in the premier comp and whether or not you think this is significant or not is entirely up to you. IMO it all factors in to what type of persona he has.

I'm glad he's re-signed with the Reds and taken a pay cut for it.

And yes I am aware that the Fainga'a bros moved from Souths to GPS last year and have been doing great things to contribute to the club.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Re-sign has a hyphen. Wouldn't normally correct you but resign means the opposite. And I'm easily confused.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I hope Davies resigns.

*Note; this sentence is perfectly punctuated.
Took me a minute, bit slow today, was about to reply with a WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANT THAT? haha

But yeh Higgers, Tapuai and Shipperely should be the next priorities after Quade.

T

TOCC

My original point was that I HAVEN'T just formed my opinion of Genia's character over the last 48hrs, what happened in that time just made me question what type of bloke he is even more. I was aware of his club hopping from previous years in the premier comp and whether or not you think this is significant or not is entirely up to you. IMO it all factors in to what type of persona he has.

I'm glad he's re-signed with the Reds and taken a pay cut for it.

And yes I am aware that the Fainga'a bros moved from Souths to GPS last year and have been doing great things to contribute to the club.

As fans we are all allowed to form opinions..

However on the flip side, i think as fans i think its dangerous that we are allowed to form opinions with such a limited knowledge base.

Forming an opinion of a player like Genia based on his club representation is rather shortsighted(since you have not mentioned anything else)... That's just "my opinion".

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think he had some radical surgery to fix his knee. I think it was more working towards being able to walk normally and if it was good enough to play rugby it would be a bonus.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Few only may be interested in this, but thought it worth a post in the context of the debates as to the workability of 'director of sport X' and 'head coach of X' with the latter reporting into the former, which is pretty much as it will be with RG reporting up to Link in 2013-4. I don't have a fixed view on this structure, but there are places where it's not worked out at all well, and with John Wright (respected Head Coach of the NZ cricket team) resigning that role as a direct result of John Buchanan's (the recently appointed Director of Cricket in NZ) policies, NZ cricket is one of them:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/current/story/563378.html

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Peter Hynes has been down training at GPS in the last few weeks, full rugby stuff not just in the gym. Not sure if its just for fitness/fun or if he's trying to make a comeback. I'll try and find out some more info this week and keep everyone posted. For both his sake and the Reds it would be good if he could make it back at some stage, even if just for one more season. He was always a very solid player.

W

What2040

Peter Hynes has been down training at GPS in the last few weeks, full rugby stuff not just in the gym. Not sure if its just for fitness/fun or if he's trying to make a comeback. I'll try and find out some more info this week and keep everyone posted. For both his sake and the Reds it would be good if he could make it back at some stage, even if just for one more season. He was always a very solid player.

Think Peter was a fantastic player but the best is probably behind him - needs to look after himself for the rest of his life.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Not only solid, unlike Morahan or Davies, he's a proper, excellent 15. Without QC (Quade Cooper), it really makes me realise even more how much we miss Hynes, or a very Hynes-like player at 15. The long, accurate kicks under pressure that find the right part of the side line, the deceptive counter attacks from space beating defenders through clever running lines, high kicks used correctly to the right chasers and well rehearsed, etc, etc...

T

tranquility

I wouldn't say he was an excellent 15, purely based on the fact that he had a pop-gun boot... Everything else though, and especially his one-on-one defense was first rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.