• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels vs. Waratahs - 2011R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
An interesting article in the light of the earlier discussion on Ben Mowen's weight gain.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-tahs-play-safe-with-palu-20110216-1awmc.html

This has obviously been a long term gain and goal and from the article appears he has not adversely effected his speed or agility. Given he was the leading lineout stealer last year and has always been dynamic around the field (and that will not be lost if what he says is true) I am excited to read he feels more powerful and more EFFECTIVE at the breakdown.

The word effective is what I have been saying for 18 months, players like Richard Brown have massive work rates that are largely inneffective as they do not match it strength wise with the opposition. This is a step in the right direction IMO.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe a separate trash thread from the game thread might be a way to go. For example, I would like a separate Reds v Tahs game thread created separate from the "festival of hate" thread, so the actual game can be discussed separate from the trolling, name calling, etc.

Anyway, the back three (of the princesses) is where I really think the Tahs have it over the Rebels, especially with the speed and tackle busting ability of the Tahs' back three. Giving the ball a bit of width, and turning the Rebels' big midfield around, maybe a few midfield inside balls, might be the way to unlock the Rebels defence. Agree with fatprop that the Rebels forward are a pack of workers, but I am not sure if the Tahs can dominate a tight forward game enough to make it worthwhile. My best bet would be the Tahs using their pace and guile out wide to target, in particular, players like Lachlan Mitchell, maybe Huxley and Rooney as well, and try to isolate Mortlock where his declining speed may make him vulnerable to lateral shifts in defence.

For the Rebels, I'd be amazed if they don't play a tighter game, using their big backs (Mortlock, Vuna, Rooney, etc) to bash the ball up repeatedly, and use Huxley and Hilgendorf and Cordingley to kick for position. Picking the solid Hilgendorf over the more flighty Cipriani might contain a hint of what the Rebels want to do at first, when they try to build a foundation and some combinations. If I was the Rebels, I'd be targeting Vuna and Mortlock at Horne all day, as Horne will not be fully recovered from injury and will possibly have some hesitation with continual full-on contact. You would want to shake his confidence early. They should also try to slow down the Tahs ball, to try to stop them getting the ball quickly to their dangermen out wide, and watch the counter from Beale and Mitchell in particular.

If the Rebels do win it, I think it'll be a major upset.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Imagine it with Cliffy back too. Probably an extra 12? (Palu - Dennis)

I thought about that but you will actually drop some weight when Robinson replaces Kepu.

I am interested to see how they carry that extra weight during the game. Only time will tell I guess.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought about that but you will actually drop some weight when Robinson replaces Kepu.

I am interested to see how they carry that extra weight during the game. Only time will tell I guess.

Only 28 hours till all will be revealed.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Changed the weather in the OP. Looks like it will be a fairly warm evening, it's been pretty humid these last few days so I'd expect that to hold. If there's a spot of rain, could make things fair slippery and harder for the Tahs back three to properly cut loose. Not saying they won't be able to, just that slightly damp conditions will definitely favour a tighter game.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Changed the weather in the OP. Looks like it will be a fairly warm evening, it's been pretty humid these last few days so I'd expect that to hold. If there's a spot of rain, could make things fair slippery and harder for the Tahs back three to properly cut loose. Not saying they won't be able to, just that slightly damp conditions will definitely favour a tighter game.

That's alright, if we need to we'll just use our pack to pummel your lot into submission.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lots of love for the Rebels in the papers, everyone from Deans to Alan Jones reckons they can win, the Tahs will just have to live with their under dog status and do their best.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
fp; gold, no way the Tahs could even come close to stealing underdog status! I think the Rebels will be competitive in the first half, and blow away as the second half progresses. As I said earlier, if the Rebels win it'd be a major, major upset and the Sydney media will feast on Tah entrails.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Lots of love for the Rebels in the papers, everyone from Deans to Alan Jones reckons they can win, the Tahs will just have to live with their under dog status and do their best.

Come on fatprop, everyone loves an underdog and everyone hates New South Welshmen, it was to be expected :lmao:

Have to say I'm really happy with the press coverage the Rebels are getting this morning. On the front page of The Age sport section, with a double page spread towards the back and a print ad in the middle. There's a big write-up for the Weary Dunlop lunch in the main paper as well.

WCR, wasn't suggesting that it tipped things in our favour at all, more just putting it out there. Don't think our pack will get rolled though, there's no one soft in there.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Has anyone seen a team for the Australian Barbarians team who will be playing Rebel Rising (which is possibly the worst team name in sport) in the curtain raiser?

W

Waylon

I always laugh at the English Roses singing God Save the Queen.............until their pack belts ours black and blue

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Come on fatprop, everyone loves an underdog and everyone hates New South Welshmen, it was to be expected :lmao:

Have to say I'm really happy with the press coverage the Rebels are getting this morning. On the front page of The Age sport section, with a double page spread towards the back and a print ad in the middle. There's a big write-up for the Weary Dunlop lunch in the main paper as well.

WCR, wasn't suggesting that it tipped things in our favour at all, more just putting it out there. Don't think our pack will get rolled though, there's no one soft in there.

I have been hearing alot about the press coverage in the lead up to the game. Very encouraging. When the Mitchell/VRU consortium was awarded the licence I had hoped his media connections would pay dividends for the organsiations and taking the early evidence into account it appears it has. Hopefully, they can maintain a reasonably high level of exposure throughout the season and beyond.

As for the section in bold. I know that mate. Jsut thought I'd highlight the enormity of the task at hand for your boys. All in good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.